Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Match Madness

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Match Madness

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Yesterday I was finally able to start consistently finishing match madness in time.

The keys for me were maybe these:

1) really relaxing and not caring too much while doing it.

2) trying to make sure i got everything matched, sometimes by process of elimination but always trying to eliminate all of each side’s boxes. [edit: In other words, you try to get all six boxes (ahem…five) done away with before starting on the newly emerging ones. It’s not a major concern, but it does help especially because there can be a lag in the time new matching boxes emerge.]

3) sometimes starting on the right side’s boxes.

4) using an xp boost on it to sort of up the personal stakes since someone was trying to be competitive with me in my league.

5) spending a solid amount of time practicing and failing - like maybe an hour - a few days ago.

6) constant motion and being willing to select wrong boxes sometimes because I was upping the motion; accelerating my actions. This is an actual technique with a formal name. You get your subconscious more involved in the process this way because your subconscious brain wants to correct the mistakes you are making too quickly for your conscious brain to correct. I think the term is the Plateau Effect? I read about it in the highly influential memory book Moonwalking with Einstein which is referenced in this wikipedia page. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateau_effect

I hope this post will inspire others to realize that match madness is an achievable thing and inspires others to achieve it.

I hope at least someone benefits from these tips. At first I was only completing the match madness maybe 1 out of 20 or 50 times but yesterday i got to at least 5/6 times. [a sign that i was doing well and likely to make it to the end is if I had 50 seconds going into the final stretch, past the last stopping point]

🇺🇦

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Re: Match Madness

Post by Upbeat 88 »

nice good job

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Was just boasting of my match madness skills to my mom and she said she can do them too, for a couple of languages. If my septuagenarian mom can do it, so can you, I’ll bet!

🇺🇦

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

So here’s another tip:

If you notice either the top two or the bottom two match, try not doing it until the end of that checkpoint. That way your eyes, mind and fingers can focus on the other four exclusively. I don’t advise leaving both if they both match because new words take too long to appear in the remaining.

Anyone else enjoying match madness?

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I was wondering what match madness was. I searched it and came up with this article from Duoplanet. I didn't know this site existed. It is a guide to Duo!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] Good For You! <3

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:09 pm

I was wondering what match madness was. I searched it and came up with this article from Duoplanet. I didn't know this site existed. It is a guide to Duo!

Great article. I like that he has his own whole set of recommendations / strategy for how to get through Match Madness successfully. Re: The part where he says “slow down.” My mom said that too. Counterintuitively: Slowing down at a certain point helped her.

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:39 pm

Great article. I like that he has his own whole set of recommendations / strategy for how to get through Match Madness successfully. Re: The part where he says “slow down.” My mom said that too. Counterintuitively: Slowing down at a certain point helped her.

Too fast, you get flustered. If you can get in the perfect rhythm than things flow. Just experience from other attempts at speed.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

In addition to languages listed in the above duoplanet article, namely,

French
Spanish
German
Italian
and
Japanese,

Match Madness is also to be found (by me so far) in:

Turkish

Ukrainian

and Portuguese

(Last was an edit. I’ll update this list as I find new languages doing Match Madness).

🇺🇦

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Someone complained that the vocabulary in Match Madness is too easy and too limited. I agree with that. If it were up to me, you’d qualify for a tier two with more complicated vocab and more xp than for completing tier one. And so forth…

I initially posted this thread because I wanted to reassure people who were struggling with Match Madness that it’s entirely do-able. Because I saw at least one post somewhere in which someone was saying they thought Match Madness was so difficult it was just a foil to get you to spend gems. I don’t agree with that at all.

Since, I noticed some people posting that they have completed match madness with over forty five seconds to spare. I don’t think I’ve ever been that fast and find that pretty astonishing.

Since I posted tips here on how to get through Match Madness, I attempted it with a language I was much less practiced in (Turkish) and it took me over a week of and maybe a hundred or more hours of failed attempts before I could finally get through it consistently.

So I want to give one more tip: If you want to master Match Madness and find it difficult, just practice, practice, practice - despite all failures - until you succeed. That goes for pretty much anything else in life too.

🇺🇦

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I don’t have this match madness. How do I find this on my languages , please. ?

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Meli578588 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:43 am

I don’t have this match madness. How do I find this on my languages , please. ?

Unless you are using iphone app, it might not be available to you yet? If you are, check on one of the languages listed above Sunday eve thru friday eve and you’ll see it in “lightning rounds.” Which is a button you’ll find on the bottom right of where you can see your league listing.

🇺🇦

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention]

Thank you much ! I will look for “ lightening round. “ oh, I can’t see my leagues anymore.
Funny , strange glitch ..( It seems permanent.).
:)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

As I read the article, the target roll-out for Match Madness is essentially limited to courses from English to a few foreign languages.

In the near future, only the number of platforms (Android for the app), the DL website version are going to be added. This means no inclusion for the English courses from said languages (which may essentially be the same exercise with the columns switched)?

No inclusion either for the cross foreign tongue courses (those not involving English)? For me these are a majority.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

SweNedGuy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:40 am

As I read the article, the target roll-out for Match Madness is essentially limited to courses from English to a few foreign languages.

In the near future, only the number of platforms (Android for the app), the DL website version are going to be added. This means no inclusion for the English courses from said languages (which may essentially be the same exercise with the columns switched)?

No inclusion either for the cross foreign tongue courses (those not involving English)? For me these are a majority.

Hmm, no, there’s actually match madness for

French —> Spanish

French —> Italian

Although it’s possible that there was Match Madness for English —> Japanese when the duoplanet article was written, it’s not the case right now. I’m going to do a slightly more complete survey before I update my post on this.

🇺🇦

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

I’ve been working on Zulu all week so J didn’t. notice until today that Match Madness has had a major update with levels leading to larger possible xp gains. Instead of just 80xp a pop maximum you can make 120 xp if you are doing double xp at the top level. It didn’t add more vocabulary per level but I think it increased the number of words you have to get through. Because I haven’t mastered this yet, I’m don’t feel great about it. I’ll feel better if I can master it.

🇺🇦

philwjones
Great Britain

Post by philwjones »

The brand new 'levels' changes on Match Madness are awful.

So, the better you get, the higher the bar gets raised, to the point that you cannot achieve the full score...even to the point of being faster than the previous round, but you only earn the middle level of XP (lower than you did in the previous round).

This is a retrograde step and effectively punishes the player once they get to their best level.

Duo really can't resist meddling with stuff.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

philwjones wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:37 am

So, the better you get, the higher the bar gets raised, to the point that you cannot achieve the full score...even to the point of being faster than the previous round, but you only earn the middle level of XP (lower than you did in the previous round).

This is a retrograde step and effectively punishes the player once they get to their best level.

Seems a lot of people think they’ve made it impossible.

🇺🇦

khoohe
Germany

Post by khoohe »

In its current form, Match Madness and even Rapid Reviews nearly impossible. It seems like a microtransactions play to sell gems. It is really disappointing.

Lekanfr25
Nigeria

Post by Lekanfr25 »

I just found out about this guy who completed the game with 160 matched words. So surprising how he just brushed through this.
The highest I've ever gone is level 5 with 80XP but I'll try out these tips to see how far I can get. Thanks

MagyarJános
Hungary

Post by MagyarJános »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Yesterday I was finally able to start consistently finishing match madness in time.

The keys for me were maybe these:

1) really relaxing and not caring too much while doing it.

2) trying to make sure i got everything matched, sometimes by process of elimination but always trying to eliminate all of each side’s boxes. [edit: In other words, you try to get all six boxes (ahem…five) done away with before starting on the newly emerging ones. It’s not a major concern, but it does help especially because there can be a lag in the time new matching boxes emerge.]

3) sometimes starting on the right side’s boxes.

4) using an xp boost on it to sort of up the personal stakes since someone was trying to be competitive with me in my league.

5) spending a solid amount of time practicing and failing - like maybe an hour - a few days ago.

6) constant motion and being willing to select wrong boxes sometimes because I was upping the motion; accelerating my actions. This is an actual technique with a formal name. You get your subconscious more involved in the process this way because your subconscious brain wants to correct the mistakes you are making too quickly for your conscious brain to correct. I think the term is the Plateau Effect? I read about it in the highly influential memory book Moonwalking with Einstein which is referenced in this wikipedia page. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plateau_effect

I hope this post will inspire others to realize that match madness is an achievable thing and inspires others to achieve it.

I hope at least someone benefits from these tips. At first I was only completing the match madness maybe 1 out of 20 or 50 times but yesterday i got to at least 5/6 times. [a sign that i was doing well and likely to make it to the end is if I had 50 seconds going into the final stretch, past the last stopping point]

It is a MONEY GRAB for Duolingo, not gonna lie. They don't understand that some languages are harder than others, and this is only making the XP spammers (in the easier languages) gravitate to this to get their 10,000XP in one day. They are making bank off their "extra minutes for 400 gems".

I have been on the site over three years now, and this is a dumbing down.

MagyarJános
Hungary

Post by MagyarJános »

philwjones wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:37 am

It's a money grab. The user pays for gems to be spent to keep games alive. The easier language learners are using this to "earn over 10,000XP" leaving everybody in the dust.

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

since I don't really care about the XP, I just use Match Madness to gain an "almost meditated" experience of language learning. this function is a good test for vocabulary memorization in my opinion.

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇻🇳🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:09 pm

Anyone else enjoying match madness?

Yes, even when I don't complete a level. I feel it's further entrenching the vocabulary I already (think I) know.

Another tip:
Be careful about going too fast. Sometimes I find myself unintentionally specifying a match because a previous click hadn't registered with the app. This can easily result in multiple "mistakes" until I see what is happening. (This is on the Android version. Don't know whether or not the issue occurs more generally.)

Edit 1/5/2023: That's my current take. Who knows how I'll feel about subsequent releases :-/
Edit 1/5/2023: Further discussion of match madness in this thread.

Anglo-American (English): Native // Français (French): Intermediate // Deutsch (German): Beginner

florao

Post by florao »

I love to use the Duolingo app to learn my favorite languages...

Last edited by Explorer on Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The link redirects to websites with malicious content

Return to “Duolingo”