Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The Conjunction Ki

MustafaOuz526752

The Conjunction Ki

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

The conjunction Ki, which should not be confused with the pronominal suffix -ki, is one of the most tangled words in the Turkish language. I will go through it in this post. Its uses are;

1- Relative clause

Ki is the one and only subordinator in the Turkish language. Because Turkish has borrowed it from Persian-a language that shares a common origin with English, its use is the same as English "that". However, their meanings may occasionally differ.

Bir kimse ki söz dinlemez, ona ne söylesen boştur. = He is the kind of person that does not listen, it is futile whatever you say to him.

Babamız ki göktesin, adın kutsal kılınsın.* = Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Bir de baktım ki kaçıp gitmiş. = And I saw that he had run away.

Canı sıkıldı, o denli ki dokunsan ağlayacak gibiydi. = She grew annoyed, so much so that she seemed as if she were about to cry.

A side note: Dokunsan ağlayacak olmak is an idiom meaning "to be about to cry", in a sense, you are so emotional that even if someone does an action as harmless as touching you, you will shed tears.

Sen ki benim en iyi arkadaşımdın. = You were my best friend.

2- So that

Patlıcanları ince ince doğra ki güzel pişsin. = Slice the eggplants small so that they will cook well.

Şöyle gel ki yüzünü göreyim. = Come here so that I will see your face.

İlaçlarını iç ki çabucak iyileş. = Take your medications so that you will get better soon.

Ara sıra öyküler yaz ki kalemin güçlensin. = Occasionally write stories so that your writing skills will become strong.

3- Stating the incompatibility of the situations described in given two sentences

This time, the second statement will be wrong as a result of the first.

Suçlu değilim ki çekineyim! = I am not guilty, so I am not embarrassed!

Sınav sonucum açıklanmadı ki notumu bileyim. = My exam result has not been announced, so I do not know my grade.

As you might notice, the first statement is a positive sentence when ki means so that, and the first statement is a negative sentence when ki means so...not.

4- Ending a response that expresses inability, impossibility, or a complaint as an intensifier

Ne demek bilmiyorum ki. = I do not really know what it means.

Gel desen de gelemem ki. = But I can not come even if you tell me to.

Peki diyorsun ama sana güvenilmez ki! = You are agreeing, but you can not be trusted!

5- Expressing worry in questions

Öyle desem alınır mı ki? = I am worrying, will he resent me if I tell him so?

Bu yarışmayı kazanabilecek misin ki? = I am worrying, will you be able to win this competition?

Common set phrases and words

Tabii ki (Of course)

Bugün tabii ki seninle geleceğim. = Today, of course, I will go with you.

Çünkü (Because)

Ben şimdi sizin fikrinizi tenkit etmeyeceğim çünkü faydasızdır.** = I will not criticize your opinion now because it is pointless.

Belki (Maybe)

Belki onu da göreceğiz. = Maybe we will see her too.

Sanki (As if)

Sanki tek suçlu benmişim gibi. = As if I am the only one to blame.

İyi ki (Gratefully, I am grateful that)

İyi ki varsın. = I am grateful that I have you.

Mademki (Seeing that)

Bakma sen, mademki tanıdıkmış bulur bir çaresini. = Don't worry, seeing that it's a friend, she'll find a solution.

Hâlbuki (However, in fact)

Hâlbuki ev sahibi tamirattan kaçınıyor. = However, in fact, the landlord avoids repair.

Oysaki (Whereas)

Gençler şiiri sevmiyor, oysaki şiir onların duygularını eğitir. = The youth does not like poetry, whereas poetry developes their emotions.

Meğerki (Unless)

Bu iş bitmeyecek meğerki siz de yardım edesiniz. = This will not be completed unless you, too, help.

Demek (oluyor) ki (Then)

Demek ki anlamadılar benim ne yaptığımı. = Then they did not understand what I did.

Şöyle ki (The thing of it is)

Şöyle ki, sadece tek şansımız var. = The thing is, we only have one shot.

Velev ki (Supposing that)

Velev ki pişman oldu ve özür diliyor, yine de onu affetmeyeceğim. = Even supposing that she is regretful and apologizes, I will not forgive her.

Tut ki (Supposing that)

Tut ki piyangoyu kazandın, o parayla ne yaparsın? = Supposing that you won the lottery, what would you do with the money?

*From the Lord's prayer, translated as Gerçek Dua into Turkish.

**From a quote of Ömer Seyfettin

Last edited by MustafaOuz526752 on Fri May 20, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Re: The Conjunction Ki

Post by Danika_Dakika »

Bu açıklama için teşekkürler!

Can you help me understand how Sen ki benim en iyi arkadaşımdın is different from Sen benim en iyi arkadaşımdın? I am trying to figure out what the "ki" changes if this is a full sentence either way.

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

MustafaOuz526752

Re: The Conjunction Ki

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:40 pm

Bu açıklama için teşekkürler!

Can you help me understand how Sen ki benim en iyi arkadaşımdın is different from Sen benim en iyi arkadaşımdın? I am trying to figure out what the "ki" changes if this is a full sentence either way.

Rica ederim. Ki does not change anything in that sentence. They are equal meaning-wise.

Return to “Turkish”