Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[SD] We would not assemble in this park

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

A: Nous, nous ne nous réunirions pas dans ce parc.

There is a Forum SD for this sentence, but it's a waste of time.

The skill 7.29 At Home has a dozen or so sentences where the subject is emphasized by repeating it with a pronom tonique. You can't tell that this sentence is looking for that emphasis from the English sentence. Nous ne nous réunirions pas dans ce parc. is therefore an alterative.

In the website Parlez-vous français, there is a lesson on Les pronoms compléments toniques, that explains:

Un pronom tonique s’utilise dans différents contextes :
Il s’utilise : pour insister : Moi, je suis française.

Madame LeGrande didn't give the technique a name, so I did more digging.

The site Le FLE pour les curieux says that this is a type of mise en relief avec un pronom tonique. But can I trust what they say ? I can't find any creditials listed on the site.

Français Facile, in their lesson on Procédés de mise en valeur, calls it a type of Procédés emphatique or Mise en valeur. It's the third of five types in the lesson.

The Bon Profs, in their lesson on Les procédés emphatiques, seems to say the same. Neither they, nor Français Facile, say anything about mis en relief.

French School TV gave a half hour lecture on mis en relief, which was great, but they didn't cover procédés emphatiques. I still don't have my answer on whether a procédés emphatique or a mise en valeur is a type of mis en relief.

Nous, nous ne nous réunirions pas dans ce parc. is straightforward, but how about saying the sentence with On ?

Soi is the pronom tonique when On means tout le monde, but for On meaning nous, the pronom tonique is nous. In her lesson Comment utiliser et accorder le pronom on, Madame LeGrande says:

De même, vous pouvez rencontrer “nous” et “on” dans la même phrase au registre familier. Cependant faites attention, cette utilisation est déconseillée par les grammairiens dans les autres registres. (Nous, on pense que vous avez raison.)

She doesn't say what to do for pronomial verbs. She says (Tu connais Paul ? – Oui, on s’est rencontré la semaine dernière.) is incorrect, but doesn't say anything about Oui, on nous est rencontré la semaine dernière.

I seem to recall duo accepting other sentences where I've used ON as the subject & NOUS as the COD or COI, but no specific sentences come to mind.

I still can't get a handle on whether Nous, on ne nous réunira pas dans ce parc. is a possible alternative. Duo doesn't accept it as a correct answer, but that don't mean Jack.

Daniel589120

Re: [SD] We would not assemble in this park

Post by Daniel589120 »

I don't know if this helps, but I did two things, first I looked through my notes and found this example of on with nous as the COI;

Cette maison de vacances, on nous l'a donnée.
This vacation home, someone gave it to us.

Found in the Adventure skill set, in the current EN-->FR tree.

Then I made this list of variations of the sentence and passed them through the Reverso Context grammar checker, all of them passed without errors!

Nous, on nous ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.
Nous, on nous ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On nous ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On nous ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.
Nous, on ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.
Nous, on ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.

Even though they passed, I don't know if they are correct or if they would sound awkward to a native speaker!

"Nous, on ne nous réunira pas dans ce parc.", however translates to "We will not meet up at this park.", so that's probably why Duo did not accept it!

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

yep, shoulda been réunirait, that's my bad, shoulda caught that.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Daniel589120 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:48 pm

Cette maison de vacances, on nous l'a donnée.
This vacation home, someone gave it to us.

In this case "on" and "nous" do not refer to the same person, so it doesn't tell us much about mixing them in pronominal verbs, where they both refer to the same person.

Nous, on ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.

I would understand these 2 as: "One/They wouldn't assemble us in this park." But I'm not native so I might be wrong.

Nous, on nous ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.
Nous, on nous ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On nous ne nous réunirait pas dans ce parc.
On nous ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.

I can't understand these sentences. They look as if they have 2 subjects. :?

On ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.
Nous, on ne se réunirait pas dans ce parc.

These 2 look like the best choices.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Questions”