Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A question of taste... Topic is solved

Davey944676
Great Britain

A question of taste...

Post by Davey944676 »

Hi, All

I know that "смак" can mean "taste" both in the tongue sense and in the appreciation of art etc sense....

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/9851959
"Я хочу мати гарний смак у мистецтві."
Translation:I want to have good taste in art.

...but this sentence in the Ukrainian Arts skill got me wondering...

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/20751200
"This is bad taste."
Translation:Це поганий смак.

Does anybody know if "поганий смак" (bad taste) would also be used by Ukrainians to describe e.g. a joke which is offensive/beyond the pale?

Similarly, I know that the associated adjective "несмачний" can mean unsavoury as in tasteless/flavourless/insipid, but would Ukrainians also use it with the English meaning of unsavoury as something or someboby being "of bad character" or "disreputable" etc?

Thanks

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Re: A question of taste...

Post by Enzfj2 »

Does anybody know if "поганий смак" (bad taste) would also be used by Ukrainians to describe e.g. a joke which is offensive/beyond the pale?
Similarly, I know that the associated adjective "несмачний" can mean unsavoury as in tasteless/flavourless/insipid, but would Ukrainians also use it with the English meaning of unsavoury as something or someboby being "of bad character" or "disreputable" etc?

Unlike "niesmaczny żart" (bad joke) in Polish, "несмачний жарт" is not widely used in Ukrainian, rather "бридкий / гидкий / поганий жарт".
Generally, "несмачний" doesn't mean "bad taste", just "not good taste", "tasteless, bland" would be "без смаку", "unsavoury" for food — "неапетитний".
"Unsavoury" regarding people can be "нікчемний, негідний", nothing to do with "смак".

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Дуже дякую, Enzfj2.

Ваша відповідь зрозуміла і корисна. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

That was the last question I answered on Duo this morning. What a coincidence to find it here this morning five minutes after finishing.
The world is a strange place !

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Steve579062 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:46 am

That was the last question I answered on Duo this morning. What a coincidence to find it here this morning five minutes after finishing.
The world is a strange place !

Spooky! hehe....cue the Twilight Zone tune...do do do do do do do do... :shock:

Return to “Questions and answers”