Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[SD] Nous sommes en vacances à New York pour voir une comédie musical.

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

1). If Duolingo asked me to give an English translation for this, I'd come up with:

We are on vacation in NYC to see a musical.

Duolingo's translation is:

We're leaving for a vacation in New York to see a musical.

2). If Duolingo started with their English translation and asked me for French, I'd come up with something different if I tried to say it in real life:

On part en vacances pour New York pour voir un comédie musicale.

So my issues here are:

a. I used present tense because in the cartoon, they're already in Gotham. I'm ok with translating French present tense into imminent future, but I can't make the jump from Nous sommes to We're leaving. Nous sommes in imminent future is we will be, eh? :?

b. Duolingo doesn't like partir pour but it's in the song. My understand is the rule used to be partir pour un lieu, but now pour or à can be used.

This question is from the skill 6.22 Interview.

![](

Daniel589120

Re: [SD] Nous sommes en vacances à New York pour voir une comédie musical.

Post by Daniel589120 »

I don't see a discussion page for this sentence, this signals to me that they don't care about this sentence and have not (and will not) deal with it!

In my notes there is another sentence;

Ne parlez pas de travail : nous sommes en vacances !
Do not talk about work: we are on holiday!

So at least here they are saying that "nous sommes en vacances" means "we are on holiday"!

Saperlipopette!

Re: [SD] Nous sommes en vacances à New York pour voir une comédie musical.

Post by Saperlipopette! »

They'll fix it if it's wrong.

Return to “Questions”