Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

dative for weasel in nonsense sentence

Moderator: Explorer

dochawk
United States of America

dative for weasel in nonsense sentence

Post by dochawk »

I'm trying to put together nonsense sentences to keep declensions straight; I need a bit more of this than duolingo offers.

So I play with

mustelam puelae magistra reginae dat in schola

for "the teacher gives the girls weasel to the queen in school"

But everyplace I look wants to use "mustela", rather than "mustelam".

Weasel is the direct object, and thus accusative, isn't it?

And do I need a preposition for the queen, or is the dative case sufficient?

thanks

(p.s. don't worry, I'll use drunken parrots when I get to that one!)

yogibaer
Egypt

Re: dative for weasel in nonsense sentence

Post by yogibaer »

Why don't you try to make non nonsense sentences? It's probably easier and better for learning. I actually don't know what to do with the "to the queen" in this sentence but I will try to figure it out.

The teacher gives the girls a weasel in school. => Magister / Magistra puellis (Dat. Pl.) mustelam in schola (Abl. Sg.) (in ludo) dat.

The teacher gives the queen of the girls a weasel in school. => Magister mustelam (Acc. Sg.) reginae (Dat. Sg.) puellarum (Gen. Pl.) in ludo (Abl. Sg.) dat.

I hope this helps.

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

Thanks.

nonsense and absurd get remembered a lot longer. Most of the mnemonics that spread are nonsense, silly, or vulgar. (King Phillip chases fat Girl Scouts, Mother very thoughtfully made me a jelly sandwich under no protest, and so forth).

I want the weasel to belong to the girl, and to stick with first declension nouns. I'm also trying to stay singular; I'll have another of plurals.

So what I'm aiming for is

mustelam (dir obj., acc) puelae (sing possessive, gen) magistra (subject, nom) reginae (ind. obj., dat )in schola (ablative)

I chose schola rather than ludo to stay with first declension.

yogibaer
Egypt

Post by yogibaer »

Magistra in schola reginae mustelam puellae dat. => The teacher in school gives the queen the girl's weasel.

Yes, nonsense is often easier to remember ... :-)

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

thanks.

The big issue here is that everywhere I could find an attempted translation wanted to use "mustela" rather than "mustelam".

so I'll use

mustelam puelae magistra reginae dat in schola

[I found in spanish that completely ignoring capitalization seemed to help retention. \*shrug\*]

Return to “Grammatica”