Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Names from חסד?

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Forum rules

General Terms of Use
Hebrew Quick Links : New Posts / Unread posts / My own posts

Corinnebelle

Names from חסד?

Post by Corinnebelle »

Hebrew has some names with beautiful meanings!

Some meanings of חֵסֵד are goodness, kindness, faithfulness, beauty, favor. The King James Bible often translates it lovingkindness, other Bibles use loyal love. Some Bible translate it as mercy. I have read that it is a word not well represented by an English word, and has to do with giving a favor to someone lower in status than you, who cannot repay you for the act. A bit like when Jesus says give the poor and the lame a feast because they cannot repay you.

I was wondering if anyone today has the name חסד or one derived from that?

I found a few in the Tanakh:

בן-חֶסֶד--one of Solomon's tax officers

son of kindness or faithfulness

חסדיה--a son of Zerubbabel

Yah has been faithful! The mercy of the Lord.

[I know Jews don't say the name of Hashem, but hopefully Yah won't be offensive since it is part of names today. For example Netanyahu]

יושב חסד--a son of Zerubbabel [Zerubabvel believed in a lot of חסד!]

whose love is returned, dwelling place, change of mercy

Sources Brown-Driver-Briggs, King James' Concordance, Strong's definitions, Hitchcock's names.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Hebrew”