Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

CEFR Level for the German Tree Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

octopussoybeansceres
Germany

CEFR Level for the German Tree

Post by octopussoybeansceres »

The Duolingo German Tree has 6 Units. The Duolingo blog mentions [1] that the German content tree is aligned with CEFR.

What is the alignment between the units and the CEFR Levels? Specifically, I want to know how much of the German tree I will have to cover to complete what Duolingo has to offer for A1?

[1] https://blog.duolingo.com/goldilocks-an ... ust-right/

Deleted User 1400

Re: CEFR Level for the German Tree

Post by Deleted User 1400 »

As far as I know you cannot compare trees or skills with each other, not even crowns. If Duolingo doesn't provide further information, it's only possible to guess it. I use a table to associate my progresses with levels and use the following data:
1 Crown ~ 35 minutes (actually 20-45, shorter in the beginning, longer for higher levels, only valid for courses with similar average length and 6 lessons per crown)

100 hours of learning is the official (upper) requirement for level A1 according to Cambridge Assessment Institute, which, of course, only can be applied on "real" courses. I set the required value twice (=200h) for my results, since duolingo doesn't provide some contents (free writing etc). This makes round about 346 Crowns, but I wouldn't say, you're level is a clear A1 then, only using Duolingo, without substituting some skills otherwise. If you'd substitute a lot (50:50), you could choose something in the middle as well.

octopussoybeansceres
Germany

Post by octopussoybeansceres »

rtqs-sandra wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:13 pm

As far as I know you cannot compare trees or skills with each other, not even crowns. If Duolingo doesn't provide further information, it's only possible to guess it. I use a table to associate my progresses with levels and use the following data:
1 Crown ~ 35 minutes (actually 20-45, shorter in the beginning, longer for higher levels, only valid for courses with similar average length and 6 lessons per crown)

100 hours of learning is the official (upper) requirement for level A1 according to Cambridge Assessment Institute, which, of course, only can be applied on "real" courses. I set the required value twice (=200h) for my results, since duolingo doesn't provide some contents (free writing etc). This makes round about 346 Crowns, but I wouldn't say, you're level is a clear A1 then, only using Duolingo, without substituting some skills otherwise. If you'd substitute a lot (50:50), you could choose something in the middle as well.

Hi, thanks for your response. I am asking specifically which units / skills will be equivalent to A1, A2.. and so on. I think completing the first few units should cover most if not all of the topics in A1, for instance.

Also, I do not think the time we spend learning in duolingo can be used to determine CEFR levels. Since one could level up early skills to legendary and spend a lot of time on basic skills or just do the first levels and reach the end of the tree (in which case we will have covered a lot of skills but spend the same amount of hours / time).

Thanks again, for your response.

Deleted User 1400

Post by Deleted User 1400 »

As I said, it's just a very rough estimate, but it fits my test results quite good. CEFR is defined much more precise than most other systems.

But 2 more things I should definitely have added 1) that I'm not a waterfall learner and 2) repeat everything once.

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

octopussoybeansceres wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:15 pm

The Duolingo German Tree has 6 Units. The Duolingo blog mentions [1] that the German content tree is aligned with CEFR.

What is the alignment between the units and the CEFR Levels? Specifically, I want to know how much of the German tree I will have to cover to complete what Duolingo has to offer for A1?

[1] https://blog.duolingo.com/goldilocks-an ... ust-right/

You can see in How are Duolingo courses evolving? the following table

and an explanation:

Our new courses now cover all the A1- and A2-level content, with about 800 words introduced at each level; B1-level content is currently under development. Each course is divided into sections so that you can more easily track your progress.

Note: Units=Sections

Return to “German”