Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

You Can Hear a Pin Drop ....... Topic is solved

Deleted User 279

You Can Hear a Pin Drop .......

Post by Deleted User 279 »

Bear in mind, my experience may be heightened by the fact i have dark mode ..... but does it seem both frightfully quiet....and incredibly peaceful here?
Kind of like you've stepped into a large sacred space .....whereby you are obliged to take your shoes off at the door....and proceed to walk noiselessly upon the thick soft carpet.....

In front of and around you there are half closed doors....a few quiet murmurings can be detected.....you might peek in....admire the brave souls who have been the first to share their thoughts, their knowledge and their resources with whoever might drop by ....

Of course these are but the the slight noises of what are merely the faint beginnings here...so kindly provided .... and so beautifully presented....for the learners on Duolingo....

Thank you for this privilege .... may we all grow and learn ..... together here on the duome forum.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: You Can Hear a Pin Drop .......

Post by IceVajal »

I agree. Perhaps it's about not disturbing the ones who transfer knowledge from the Duolingo forum to our new 'home'... Soon this will be buzzing with talk in different tongues.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

4theAEsir
Great Britain

Post by 4theAEsir »

Its all still very new and strange. I'm sure we will all settle in soon.

Learning :de::jp: Re-Learning Image

Today's mood is :?:

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Yes it's quite quiet and I know what you mean, you sort of feel reluctant to disturb the respectful hush.

Maybe it's the calm before the storm...

Meanwhile, segueing back to language, the thread title is an interesting idiomatic expression. I wonder if it exists in the same form in other languages, or what other languages' nearest equivalents are?

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

wayfarer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:00 pm

Meanwhile, segueing back to language, the thread title is an interesting idiomatic expression. I wonder if it exists in the same form in other languages, or what other languages' nearest equivalents are?

In German it's the same... Man kann eine Stecknadel fallen hören. :)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Nederlands "Je kunt een speld horen vallen" ... notice the 2 infinitives inverted in German "fallen hören"

BB - Basler Biker

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Both forums are quiet at the moment because people are still busy on Duolingo. I suspect that when Duolingo's forum is removed, the activity will increase on both forums.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

IceVajal wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:57 pm

I agree. Perhaps it's about not disturbing the ones who transfer knowledge from the Duolingo forum to our new 'home'... Soon this will be buzzing with talk in different tongues.

I have been wondering how long it will take for...ahem, certain parties to cotton on that many things can be open sourced.
If one was, in theory, to have the means and...whatever you have with means.
Theoretically.

Image L5

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Welcome Paul77! I see you're a North Queenslander. It looks like you are floating on some boat in the tropical evening. Any crocodiles in the water? I hope to see this forum going soon! I am still learning the new setup at present.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

IceVajal wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:57 pm

The Duome forum (at least EN-FR) has become a huge collection of information.
Maybe that's why not many persons post new discussions: because many answers are already there and sometimes you feel lazy when the answer to a question is given by referring to an existing post (that's how I first realised that there was already so much here).

Now I don't post my questions straight away, but first see if I can already find the answer. But then I probably won't have any more questions.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:19 pm

Now I don't post my questions straight away, but first see if I can already find the answer. But then I probably won't have any more questions.

Same here. I try to find the answer myself, coz I'll remember it much better compared to get the answer presented by someone.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Through this silence and the collected knowledge, the forum has the effect of the hallowed halls of academic institutions or libraries in historical monasteries.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Random Thoughts”