Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

when words don't contract

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

LICA98
Finland

when words don't contract

Post by LICA98 »

so I saw recently the word "la une" (=frontpage of a newspaper) and apparently there the la doesn't become l' 🤔 anyone know more of these cases where the following word starts with a vowel yet the previous word doesn't contract into it?

dakanga

Re: when words don't contract

Post by dakanga »

This is my quick response - first off the la une / le un / l'un(e) :

When it is a pronoun, rather than an article or number, it can be replaced by l'un / l'une

pronoun: a word that can function as a noun phrase used by itself and that refers either to the participants in the discourse (e.g. I, you ) or to someone or something mentioned elsewhere in the discourse (e.g. she, it, this ).

When it is acting as an article or a number, you don't use elision.

Any time un is followed by a preposition, usually de, or by anything else other than a noun, it's a pronoun. Otherwise, un is either a number (one) or an article (a, an).

ref

i.e. Numbers

For numbers you do not use elision.

• le onzième joueur de l'équipe de france
    the eleventh player on the french team
  • Le un est passé devant
    Number one got in the lead
  • La une est la première page
    One is the first page

Yet, as with living languages, such as French, there are exceptions for purposes of Euphony

For other words

If the following word begins with a vowel or a h muet, then elision (contraction) occurs.

H aspiré / Aspirated h

• H aspiré does not allow elisions or liaisons – the h acts like a consonant.

• For the h muet, it is silent, and require elisions and liaisons.

please correct anything I have wrong, or even better - explain it better !

Return to “Questions”