Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Something happened on Duolingo...

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Drymice

Something happened on Duolingo...

Post by Drymice »

People on Duolingo have disapeared, profiles aren't loading, and I randomly got a free day of Duolingo Plus. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

g-heike
Germany

Re: Something happened on Duolingo...

Post by g-heike »

It doesn't have to mean that someone has disappeared if the profile doesn't load, it can also mean that someone has removed the profile from the public area in their settings. Then others can no longer view the profile.

This is also done by some who want to get out of the leaderboard. They set their profile private and then no longer participate in the leagues.

bar999
Poland

Post by bar999 »

Perhaps you've achieved a big streak recently? Duolingo gives you 3 days of free Duolingo Plus when you get 50, 100, 150 (and so on) days in a row.

Native 🇵🇱 | B2 🇬🇧 | A2+ 🇪🇸 | A1 🇳🇱 🇩🇪

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

bar999 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:55 pm

Perhaps you've achieved a big streak recently? Duolingo gives you 3 days of free Duolingo Plus when you get 50, 100, 150 (and so on) days in a row.

I didn't, I only got a 74 day streak

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

g-heike wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:35 pm

It doesn't have to mean that someone has disappeared if the profile doesn't load, it can also mean that someone has removed the profile from the public area in their settings. Then others can no longer view the profile.

This is also done by some who want to get out of the leaderboard. They set their profile private and then no longer participate in the leagues.

Would 9 people make their profile's public in a single week?

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Would 9 people make their profile's public in a single week?

I suspect that in any give week well over 9 Duolingo participants make their profiles private. It would, however, be significantly less likely that nine people you personally know would make their profiles private.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor error with the quote button
bar999
Poland

Post by bar999 »

Drymice wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:01 pm

It might be irregular sometimes. I was given 3 days of free Duolingo Plus when I got 25 days in a row, however I didn't get anything when I achieved 100 days.

Native 🇵🇱 | B2 🇬🇧 | A2+ 🇪🇸 | A1 🇳🇱 🇩🇪

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

bar999 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:17 pm
Drymice wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:01 pm

It might be irregular sometimes. I was given 3 days of free Duolingo Plus when I got 25 days in a row, however I didn't get anything when I achieved 100 days.

Yup true I also got 3 days of the free Duolingo Plus for having a 7 days streak.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

According to https://status.duolingo.com/

There have been no incidents.

And this is their page in support that talks about this : https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... right-now-

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

i wonder why i didn't get one when i got fifty and also does actually work to sign your friends or family and you get free Duolingo plus ????

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

[mention]BrianEngst1[/mention] , you might like to try to ask that question on the Duolingo discord forum : http://discord.gg/duolingo

Though you don't often get to talk to someone from staff at Duolingo, occasionally they are known to engage in that discord forum from what I have observed.

Someone there may also be able to point you in the right direction as to where to ask questions like that, for Duolingo.

However here - we are volunteers and community members. And we can not provide any answers like this - as this is a Duolingo issue.
We are not from Duolingo.

It is good to hear your voice here Brian, and I look forward to continue to see you around these forums.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

okay i was thinking about duolingo and duome not being the same sorry

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Again, it is great to see you here Brian !

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Fixed see June 15

Another bug that popped up, in the last three weeks, is the Practice Complete totals on the app. The xp is totally fubared. The xp awards match on the leaderboards, in Duome, and on the class activity bar in Duo for schools, but its different in the Practice Complete totals, pictured below.

They've also changed the xp awards. Without going into details, the max xp for a general practice was 23 xp & for specific skill practice, 27. Now it seems to be 21 & 25. I consider that part a fix-- 1 xp for the first 14-16 questions & 2 xp for the last two "hard" questions is how it was supposed to go. Plus up to 5xp for the bonus.

It seems like when they put in the fix for the xp counts, they fubared the counter that's displayed on the Practice Complete totals.

Anyway, everyone here knows the drill: report the bug in the help center, follow up with another report every few days, repeat, & maybe they'll fix it.

A picture of the Practice Complete screen follows....

![](

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

Completing a lesson at 00:00:00

Completing a lesson at 00:00:00

DateTimeXPlesson typeSkill practiced
2022-05-0400:00:0043XPpractice  4.08 Shopping 3
2022-05-0400:49:1110XP CHK 5 practice5.09 Education

:geek:

Yesterday I completed a lesson at 00:00:00 on the app, and it gave me the message that my streak extended to 1213. So I went to do a checkpoint 5 practice, figuring that completed lesson would hit my daily goal of 50 XP and give me the daily award on the browser. I have to do checkpoint practices on the browser, because they took it away on the app, so that's usually what I do on the browser. I'm not happy about that takeaway either, even though it happened maybe half a year ago.

When I completed the lesson it said ten XP awarded, and I needed 40 more XP to hit my daily goal. I did 4 more checkpoint 5 practices & got my daily reward upon completion of the 5th on the browser. It was as if that 43 xp for practicing that skill never happened that day, though it did get included in league totals and you can see it on Duome and Duo for Schools. It is also included in the circle in the upper right hand corner on the app that displays daily xp totals.

Lots of strange things happen when you do lessons on both platforms. The strangest is when I have a skill where I completed the five lessons & need to do the Capstone Review to pick up the Crown. If I do any sort of lesson on the browser, it will search for any lesson that has the five completed lessons, give me the crown, and pump the circle up to the next color. For example, a green skill with five completed lessons on the app will magically change to an orange skill with no completed lessons if, in between, I have gone to the browser & done something. There's no Capstone Review on the browser, at least for me. That's terrible, because I like the Capstone Review, and when I complete it, it unlocks the 15 minute double XP boost.

Alors, revenons à nos moutons, when you complete a lesson at 00:00:00, strange things happen. No sense in reporting this error, because 1) Duo's got bigger fish to fry, including fixing the xp bug on the lesson completed screen, and 2) I doubt anyone could recreate this error even if they tried. What are the odds that anyone can complete a lesson exactly at 00:00:00 ?

Saperlipopette!

Update on XP bug on app, practice completed screen

Fixed See post June 15

Here's an update on the bug with the xp on the android.
Duolingo updated the Practice Complete screen. There are now three totals, percentage, time spent, and total xp.

This total xp number is the number to the right of the lightning bolt when the lessons are done. It increments by 1 when you get a right answer.

The thing is, for the 5th, 10th, and 15th question, it increments by three. 1 2 3 4 7 8 9 10 11 14 15 16 17 18 21 22 23 24. It's like you get a touchdown for five questions right, seven points.

While the practice complete screen says 24 XP, Duome, Duo for Schools, and leagues all say its worth 21 XP.

One way to arrive at 21 is if the 5th, 10th, and 15th question is incremented by 2. 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 ,15 16 18 19 20 21. We don't know exactly how Duo got there, but that's my guess.

I've attached output to show that the lesson where I completed the last question at 11:58, and jumped to the lesson complete screen at 11:59:01, says 24XP. If you take too long, instead of Quick on the time box, it says Committed. Like you should be committed.

I also attached Duo for schools & Duome saying 21 XP was awarded for the lesson completed at 11:59.

Duome:

2022-05-12 23:59:01 · 21XP practice Future Tense

Duolingo for Schools

practiced Future Tense +21 XP May 12, 11:59 PM.

They really should keep this nonsense simple. One XP for each right answer on the first try for a max of 18 is simple enough. But the really important thing is the number on the lesson completed screen equals what you are awarded. It makes you wonder who's testing this junk before they ship it out the door...

Ex 1: Question with lightning bolt

![](

Ex 2: Practice complete screen
![](

Ex 3: Practice Complete screen -- committed

![](

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

Capstone Review bug

This post is about the bug that occurs with the Capstone Review; it occurs if you use both the app version of Duo & the web version of Duo.

The skills go through 6 stages: Level 0, it is colored purple. Level 1, it is colored blue. Level 2 is green, level 3 is red, and level 4 is orange. A complete skill is gold.

To move up a level, on the web, you complete 5 lessons. On the app, you have to complete a sixth lesson which Duolingo calls the Capstone Review in Duo for Schools.

Exhibit One is a screen print of someone's tree on the app after three lessons. They did a straight lesson of the skill Food for 25 XP, a double XP lesson of the skill At Work for 38XP, and a double XP for a cracked skill at 38XP. They said they ran the table on all of the lessons, if that's accurate, double XP is more like One and a Half XP. The skill 2.08 Shopping is the item of interest: it's at level 0 (purple color) and 5 lessons were done. Only the capstone review remained.

Exhibit Two is a screen print after the student logged on to the web version of Duolingo. The skill 2.08 Shopping is blue with no ring. Web shows the student just starting Level One. You can tell it's Duo on the web because of the 4 picture icons on the bottom, and the lack of a daily XP counter in the upper right corner.

The student did a conversation level of a story. They went back to the app & the skill 2.08 Shopping was as it was in Exhibit One. Then the student did a checkpoint quiz, and the app changed. See Exhibit Three. It was as if a ghost completed the Capstone Review for the skill 2.08 Shopping. Note the daily xp changed from 101 to 129 on the app, with the addition of an 18 XP story and a 10 XP checkpoint quiz. Also note that the crown was awarded to indicate that Level 0 of the skill 2.08 Shopping was completed.

I think the slickest way to fix this is to put in a capstone review for the web too.

I've filed bug reports in this but there's a lot of moving parts on this problem. I doubt Duo will fix this anytime soon. As a workaround, I've been treating the 5th lesson and the capstone review as one super lesson. I won't start one unless I know I can finish both.

Exhibit 1. App at 101xp

![](

Exhibit 2. Web

![](

Exhibit 3. App at 129xp

![](

back4morelater
Great Britain

Re: Capstone Review bug

Post by back4morelater »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:41 pm

This post is about the bug that occurs with the Capstone Review; it occurs if you use both the app version of Duo & the web version of Duo.

If I've read this right:
on the iOS app (my Android app doesn't have this extra lesson) you complete 5 out of 6 lessons for a skill
go to the web where it sees 5 out of 5 done and awards you the crown for that skill
go back to the the app and you still have the crown even though you've only done 5 of the 6 lesson

Don't expect this to be fixed any time soon, given that I think I first spotted this and took advantage of it several years ago. So long ago that I can't even remember when or what I was studying!
Also struggling to remember if this was ever on the Android app given that I very rarely use the iOS app except to see or try some of the new things that get trialled first on that platform. After 5.5 years it's hard to remember all the changes on all the platforms!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]back4morelater[/mention] Wait, are you saying the app has more lessons than the web?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Yes, [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], there is one extra lesson for every level in each skill on the Android version. When you do that lesson, you get 15 minutes double XP on your next lessons (so doing a series of easy lessons after finishing a crown is a simple strategy to rack up points fast).

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Stasia wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:10 pm

Yes, @Corinnebelle, there is one extra lesson for every level in each skill on the Android version. When you do that lesson, you get 15 minutes double XP on your next lessons (so doing a series of easy lessons after finishing a crown is a simple strategy to rack up points fast).

Sounds like fun! Maybe that's why they are creating pathways to get rid of that extra XP advantage for certain people!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:10 pm
Stasia wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:10 pm

Yes, @Corinnebelle, there is one extra lesson for every level in each skill on the Android version. When you do that lesson, you get 15 minutes double XP on your next lessons (so doing a series of easy lessons after finishing a crown is a simple strategy to rack up points fast).

Sounds like fun! Maybe that's why they are creating pathways to get rid of that extra XP advantage for certain people!

Wdym by that?

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention] If all the courses are the same over all platforms, there won't be XP advantages for certain users as opposed to other who don't have it.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

Oh ok! Sorry! I was just a little confused, there! <33

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Saperlipopette!

I think Duolingot may have fixed this XP bug with practice lessons. Back to 23 max xp for general practice and 27 for specific skill practice.

For general practice the counter goes by 1 for the first 14, then you get 2 for the final two questions. it tacks on 5 at the end. For regular practice, its one each for the first 18 questions then two each for the next two. Then it tacks on 5 at the end for 27. You used to only get 16 questions plus two double baggers before. Most important is the total xp displayed on the lesson complete or practice complete screen equals what you get on leagues, Duome, Duo for schools.

les xp if you get something wrong. I'll work those details out later.

Dix semaines pour réparer ça, c'est absolument inacceptable.

Saperlipopette!

Fixed See June 30

Now its time to get the other bugs fixed that Duo's created in additional botched turnovers since the big one with the xp. Here's one I reported today in Duo for Schools, with the missing story name.

Duolingo for schools used to put the name of the story that the student read in the Class activity Panel screen of Duolingo for Schools.

This has been broken for nearly a month now, but I was too focused on reporting the bug with the XPs on the lesson complete screen not equaling what was actually earned on Duo for schools, duome, or leaderboards. Knock on wood, I think I can now report the other things you've screwed up with other turnovers while the lesson complete bug was going on. Also you took away the Duo Dictionary away when the lesson complete xp was going on without any notice. bastids.

According to my records, the name of the story stopped getting filled in between May 16, 09:40 PM to May 15, 07:34 AM. The source of the bug is probably a turnover you did in between those two times. May 15 was a Sunday night, when leagues end. I think Mondays are your weekly turnover day.

Below are time & date stamps from the stories I've read on the class activity panel over the last two months. You can see before the date that I suspected you botched the turnover, I read stories like The Reading Club, Potato Chips and Pyjamas, and Too Different. After that date, I completed a Level of blank. Like they used to say on The Match Game.

Attached is a screenprint with the story for jun 17 as you see it in the class activity panel

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of
+28 XP
Jun 17, 02:06 AM

+28 XP
Jun 15, 01:31 AM

+24 XP
Jun 14, 02:50 AM

+24 XP
Jun 11, 02:32 AM

+30 XP
Jun 9, 02:12 AM

+30 XP
May 31, 12:18 PM

+24 XP
May 24, 06:18 AM

+24 XP
May 23, 11:04 AM

+22 XP
May 21, 07:15 AM

+22 XP
May 18, 04:37 AM

+22 XP
May 16, 09:40 PM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Work from Home
+24 XP
May 15, 07:34 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of The Reading Club
+28 XP
May 12, 02:25 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of The Old Woman
+22 XP
May 11, 01:55 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of The Magic School
+28 XP
May 11, 01:50 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Potato Chips and Pajamas
+28 XP
May 7, 07:03 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Work from Home
+22 XP
Apr 28, 04:35 PM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Last Night's Dinner
+22 XP
Apr 24, 08:19 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Too Different
+28 XP
Apr 21, 03:32 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of The Best Grade
+22 XP
Apr 11, 01:57 PM

Duo for Schools Activity Panel

![](

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saperlipopette!

I noticed Duo fixed a longstanding bug on the app.

There"s a feature that promises double XP (it's more like 1.5 times the XP) for completing a "hard" new lesson. It pops up occasionally on the app, maybe once a day. I haven't looked into whether these lessons are "hard" or not. They're generally the same questions that you get in a regular lesson, but there could be more questions that Duo deems "hard" based on the percentage of people that get them right.

Anyway, the bug was: if you chose the hard option, and got a grammar lesson, you would not get double xp. They had two choices on how to fix this. The one I suggested was to make sure the lesson you got was not a grammar lesson. Duo chose door number 2: give double XP to the grammar lesson. Here's the lesson in Duo for Schools:

Rob from Bklyn completed Lesson 4 of Level 1 in Past Tense 5
+36 XP Jun 19, 03:45 PM

lesson Past Tense 5 is on plus-que-parfait.

Here's a lesson on the same skill w/out the double XP thing:

Rob from Bklyn completed Lesson 2 of Level 1 in Past Tense 5
+24 XP Jun 16, 11:44 AM

For a while, Duo was offering me this double XP bonus for a price of 20 gems. I didn't select the option once when it was available for a price. They've gone back to just offering it sans frais, and sometimes I'll take them up on it.

I originally reported this bug about two years ago.

I think that 1.5 XP on grammar lessons are too much -- notice when you complete legendary status on grammar skills, you dont get the 'hard' practice option. But I think its worse to make promises you can't keep. So I consider this issue RESOLVED.

Saperlipopette!

Looks like Duo fixed that problem with the name of the story in Duolingo for schools in their weekly Monday turnover.

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of I Love Pirates
+30 XP Jun 30, 01:17 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of I Need to Practice
+28 XP Jun 29, 02:42 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Eat Your Vegetables
+30 XP Jun 28, 07:35 AM

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of Eat Your Vegetables
+28 XP Jun 27, 12:28 PM

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday this week, the story is filled in for both reading +28 & listening +30xp. Prior to that, it was a level of blank :

+28 XP
Jun 24, 01:55 AM

Thrillsville.

Saperlipopette!

Duo fixed a long-time bug on the app. What happened is you would get a question where you have to arrange two tiles. Exhibit One shows me selecting the appropriate tiles but not hitting the green CHECK to validate my response. At 10:05.

At that point, I would hit the rectangle box at the bottom of my screen to switch to my notes. If the sentence was in my notes, I'd check & correct spelling; if not, I'd add it. Then I'd hit the rectangle to go back to the app. The app would be displayed like Exhibit Two at 10:06.

As you can see in Exhibit Two, you can't hit enter to go on to the next question. It used to be there was no way to leave this screen to re-enter your answer & hit CHECK. If you already answered ten questions, tough beans !, you'd have to start all over again.

Now, in Exhibit Two, is an awkward-looking screen where at least you can re-click the tiles to present an answer that can be checked. I did that and got to Exhibit Three at 10:07. From there I could hit Check and proceed to the next question & ultimately complete the lesson.

Duo's made a lot of progress since I blew a gasket at them in a bug report a couple of weeks ago about the xp. It might be coincidental, but these are the kinds of coincidences I can deal with.

Exhibit One

![](

Exhibit Two

![](

Exhibit Three

![](

Return to “Duolingo”