Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Stories now have 3 different modes.

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Arseen
Finland

Stories now have 3 different modes.

Post by Arseen »

I just noticed that there are now three different modes in Stories section of Duolingo.

They changed Listen into Conversation, but Listen is still available if you change the end of the address from ?mode=conversation to ?mode=listen.

So the types are:
Read = whole story is readable. All questions can be answered by clicking correct answers.
Listen = Some parts of the story need to be listened (can be read by clicking reveal). All questions can be answered by clicking correct answers.
Conversation = Some parts of the story need to be listened (can be read by clicking reveal). Some questions can be answered by speaking (can be changed to normal clickable ones by clicking that you don't have microphone).

I wonder when they will add typable answers.

Deleted User 114

Re: Stories now have 3 different modes.

Post by Deleted User 114 »

That is very interesting! I hope they will have typable questions soon!

By the way, I moved this post from the Announcements forum to the Discussions forum. I hope you don’t mind. :)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Arseen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:15 am

They already do...

Duolingo stories typing exercise.png
Duolingo stories typing exercise.png (97.77 KiB) Viewed 695 times

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Arseen
Finland

Post by Arseen »

Jacko079 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:34 am

That is very interesting! I hope they will have typable questions soon!

By the way, I moved this post from the Announcements forum to the Discussions forum. I hope you don’t mind. :)

OK, I just couldn't decide where to post.

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 am

They already do...

Oh.
Never gotten those in English, Spanish, French, Italian nor German in story mode. In normal exercise mode yes.
Maybe someday.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

The 14 XP stories only have read mode now, but conversation mode is available if you change the URL parameter from ?mode=read to ?mode=conversation. I wonder why they did that. :?

Arseen
Finland

Post by Arseen »

EranBarLev wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:15 am

The 14 XP stories only have read mode now, but conversation mode is available if you change the URL parameter from ?mode=read to ?mode=conversation. I wonder why they did that. :?

In German set 1 and 2 still have read and listen, set 3 has read and conversation.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Really Duo?! 🤦‍♂️

Duolingo stories conversation mode dog.png
Duolingo stories conversation mode dog.png (94.73 KiB) Viewed 490 times

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I tried the thing on changing mode=read to mode=conversation to the url for the Story Clothes for My Vacation. I got the story ok in conversation mode but there were few opportunities to speak. still, it did have something. Anyway one problem I noticed in doing things this way is the results look goofy in Duolingo for schools.

Rob from Bklyn completed a Level of
+14 XP
May 22, 02:38 AM

it doesn't tell you the story, it just puts blank there.

I suppose I should say that I did this on the browser not app even though its understood because a) app doesn't have conversation mode and b) app doesn't display url, so you can't manually alter the url.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 am

They already do...

I haven't seen any of them recently, only in the old stories.

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Umm, I filed a bug report on this mode=conversation thing. They may have done something. On my version of duolingo, I see the french story menus have a conversation button for everything but the first eight stories. You can still do the backdoor for the first two sets but there is no need for that for the rest of them. I seem to remember only a read button for maybe the first ten sets of stories, like the first forty.

Return to “Duolingo”