Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to Use Sentence Discussions

Duolingo sentence discussions that don't yet have any replies

Deleted User 4833

Re: How to Use Sentence Discussions

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:22 pm

@JudieLC Yes! That sounds bad! Makes me think I better be careful when walking too!

It's not fun, but not terribly painful either, at this point. Uncomfortable, and boring not being able to go out easily.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC I'm glad it's not too painful now. The boredom is the hard part. Can you get one of those scooter things they use that you put your knee on when you break a bone?

Something like this:

I don't know anything about them personally so this isn't a recommendation. I just know they are used sometimes.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:44 pm

@JudieLC I'm glad it's not too painful now. The boredom is the hard part. Can you get one of those scooter things they use that you put your knee on when you break a bone?

Something like this:

![](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c0c9 ... 2f~mv2.jpg)

I don't know anything about them personally so this isn't a recommendation. I just know they are used sometimes.

I've never seen one of those contraptions in the UK. My knee hurts just from looking at it. :geek:

@JudieLC I bet you were glad to get the sling off . :P

Glad your on the mend.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Deleted User 4833

Something like this:

You're the umpteenth person to suggest that. :D And that's a no, because from the beginning the doctor wanted me to put weight on the foot as long as I was wearing the boot. He wants me weight bearing with the ankle brace, too. So no knee scooter. For the kind of fracture that I have, it helps the bone grow back together better if you walk on it while using the proper cast or orthopedic appliance.

So I can walk, just not exceedingly long distances. And I can't drive with an orthopedic boot on my right foot, so I could only get as far as I could walk, which hasn't been far, up to now. Today I walked to synagogue, to my daughter's in the neighboring development to mine for lunch, and home. And that's the furthest I've walked since I had the injury.

Deleted User 4833

Steve579062 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:27 pm

Something like this:

I've never seen one of those contraptions in the UK. My knee hurts just from looking at it. :geek:

@JudieLC I bet you were glad to get the sling off . :P

Glad your on the mend.

I've seen them. They're a useful way to get around if you are not supposed to put weight on the injured foot or lower part of your leg. I've never used one, but I think they're cushioned and fairly comfortable to use.

And, yes, it was a relief to lose the boot.
Now I’m looking forward to physical therapy so I can get the ankle and leg back to normal strength and range of motion.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

The SD extension stopped working completely. The DUOME button never appears anymore. Is it only me? Does it still work for anyone?

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:20 am

The SD extension stopped working completely. The DUOME button never appears anymore. Is it only me? Does it still work for anyone?

Everything seems fine on my side...

duolingo-duome-button.png
duolingo-duome-button.png (117.33 KiB) Viewed 5386 times

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:20 am

Maybe reload the extension?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:44 am

Maybe reload the extension?

How do I do that?

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

You can use the Extension manager of your browser to get access to the Tampermonkey extension that handles the Duome script.

If you are using Chrome, for example, you may copy and paste the "chrome" addresses on the Address box of your browser.

• Extension manager: chrome://extensions/
    – look for the Tampermonkey extension box, and click on Details, that should open the following address.
  • The Tampermonkey entry: chrome-extension://dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo/options.html#url=aHR0cHM6Ly9uZXcuYWRibG9ja3BsdXMub3JnL2VuL3VwZGF0ZT9hbj1hZGJsb2NrcGx1c2Nocm9tZSZhdj0zLjE2LjEmYXA9Y2hyb21lJmFwdj0xMTAuMC4wLjAmcD1jaHJvbWl1bSZwdj0xMTAuMC4wLjA=&nav=dashboard
    – Here you have access to the Tampermonkey dashboard (control panel), where you can manage whichever scripts you may have installed. If you see a "Duolingo Duome Sentence Discussions" entry, you can try to Disable it and then Reenable it. That should do. If that doesn't work, you may try by removing it and then reinstalling it. If the script was not there, then you need to install it (check any of the following two links).

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Thanks, it works again now. :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

EranBarLev wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:37 pm

Thanks, it works again now. :)

Great!! 8-)

Deleted User 4833

I don't think this is working correctly anymore. I pretty routinely get a different sentence generated to the forum than the one in the lesson I am doing.

For example, just now I got the phrase: "le prix de la pizza."
The sentence generated when I clicked the Duome icon was: "devant la voiture."

Maybe the pizza was in front of a delivery car? ;)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So legendary lessons are instep with duome sentence extension until they repeat the wrong exercises, than you get the next sentence instead of the one you are currently doing.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

I am looking at EN=>IT for which the duome button in duolingo creates the sentences correctly under "learning / Italian / Sentence discussions

while as for Swedish : EN=>SV the button creates the sentences all right, but under Swedish and NOT under the existing "Sentence discussions" sub-forum ... can't understand why ... have looked into the tampermonkey source-code, but can't understand it.

If I move manually the sentence from Swedish to its sub-forum "Sentence discussions", and if I make a reply or new comment, the sentence moves all of its own back to the main Swedish forum ... how bizarre is that.

Any idea?

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Basler Biker See if @duome can fix the code. Sentences in the Hebrew forum seem to be getting green ticks on them automatically when someone comments in them.

Something else strange:
viewtopic.php?t=16955-דבש-זה-טעים-en-he

viewtopic.php?p=65559-דבש-זה-טעים-en-he#p65559

duome

Post by duome »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:28 pm

Any idea?

should be ok now

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

duome wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:43 am

Any idea?

should be ok now

indeed, looks all fine again. thx.

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:32 am
duome wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:43 am

Any idea?

should be ok now

indeed, looks all fine again. thx.

As a former ICT'er I am always interested in the "what was the root cause" and "how was it solved"

• was it an issue for Swedish only? because it seemed to work for Spanish all right ... but not for Hebrew ?
  • is the cause something that can come back, over time?
  • is it an inconsistency DL vs DM , caused by DL changes?

if the answer is more than 5 words, then let it be ...
I'll just continue with the Swedish learning then.

duome

Post by duome »

Two words: by design

There's a list of matching language codes and topic numbers in the setting - it's impossible to know all sentence discussion thread ids in advance, before they even exist, so we need to set it up manually each time a new sentence discussion thread for yet another language is created.

I'm unaware if the more intricate parts like why it moves the topics around when there's an answer to the origial post. We do need @luo-ning back so he could explain things better than I do and fix issues when we have some.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@duome regarding the above if you know something.

Do I delete one of these? What will it do next time this sentence comes it? I've had sentences I've commented on before come up, when I've clicked on them from Duome, so the system does work. If I edit a sentence discussion topic post, not the title, will it affect the system, for example adding a link to a Duolingo sentence when it couldn't access Duolingo?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Something even more curious:

I got a link for this word to Duome.

boat.jpg
boat.jpg (16.35 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

Curious to see what I'd get from that, I clicked on it and got this.
viewtopic.php?p=64050-מסביב-לעולם-בשמונ ... hty#p64050

The sentence wasn't even in the lesson.

Boat 2.jpg
Boat 2.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

Haven't seen that before.

Kevin_Nukem
Estonia

Post by Kevin_Nukem »

Hello! Just wanted to report that unfortunately it seems the topic generation for Chinese is broken. Created two discussions via the "Duome" button and none of the dicussions created are the actual sentences where I clicked the button. :| I do apologise for creating useless sentence discussion, I have nothing to discuss within these discussions, as these are incorrect sentences.
One
Two

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

@duome

This is a recap of what I found when creating Duome sentences from a Swedish DL lesson tonight:

• (A) some DL questions did not come up with the DUOME button (so I created the topics by hand)
  • (B) one Swedish sentence linked to a (en => it) sentence, which had one reply on it (link to song "Félicità")
  • other SV sentences created Duome topics all fine, with or without a link to a DL discussion.
  • all topics - when replied and saved - were moved all right to Swedish "Sentence discussions"

(A) I had quite a long time pause between each DL question (to check the duome topic, create a reply, archive an existing DL discussion, and edit the links. Is it possible that the duome extension "deactivates" after some time? Or do we know that only some types of questions do not produce the duome button?

(B) all sentences are within the [[sent_disc] tags identified with something like this id=2ff38e0001b80b3daf3db4bc117bc6c2
Is this a scrambled form of the 2 sentences itself - target and source language?
If so, then how can a Swedish sentence link to an Italian duome discussion topic?
or how is this ID "calculated" - what are its components before "hashing"/"encrypting" ?

So overall it works fine.
The archive.ph site still works fine. And DL discussions are still accessible for archiving.
The hobune archive does not have all discussions, but many are there. That we knew already ;-)

BB

Corinnebelle

Re: Do you see the black line on the wall? (en → sv)

Post by Corinnebelle »

Hi @Basler Biker!

Are you referencing hobune stream in case it will be saved there in the future?

I've got someone who's offered to look into the sentence discussion extension:

viewtopic.php?p=69016#p69016

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Do you see the black line on the wall? (en → sv)

Post by Basler Biker »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:05 pm

Hi @Basler Biker!

Are you referencing hobune stream in case it will be saved there in the future?

yes that could well be the case!

I've got someone who's offered to look into the sentence discussion extension:

This person could indeed help to fix some small issues. Maybe @Ed_Miliband can start looking at the sourcecode of luo-ning and see whether the issue can be located first, then report back to us, especially to @duome as he will have to give the 'go" for a change, no?
Recommended would be a "secure approach", maybe start with a copy of luo-nings work, then modify and generate a "DUOME_2" button which can be tested by some of us, and when OK the new logic may replace the existing DUOME button. Something like that. Because for the time being me, and (many ?) other users need the button still working as is.

To "my" issue list should be added indeed the "thing" with linking to a previous one...like you described it.

I'll move these posts to "how to use Sentence discussions", OK? (they shouldn't stay under Swedish)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Basler Biker wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:52 pm

(B) all sentences are within the [[sent_disc] tags identified with something like this id=2ff38e0001b80b3daf3db4bc117bc6c2
Is this a scrambled form of the 2 sentences itself - target and source language?

No, only the source language. This is a known issue, I've reported it long ago, but @luo-ning seems to be gone and has stopped maintaining the SD script.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Basler Biker Yes, you can move them. I was also thinking of moving some in the Hebrew forum as well. I do not know too much of the internals of things. I have pmmed @duome about it asking if that is okay. Forwarded to you now. Should @Ed_Miliband wait on looking into it until @duome replies?

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:39 pm

@Basler Biker Yes, you can move them. I was also thinking of moving some in the Hebrew forum as well. I do not know too much of the internals of things. I have pmmed @duome about it asking if that is okay. Forwarded to you now. Should @Ed_Miliband wait on looking into it until @duome replies?

Looking doesn't harm, go for it...

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Actually this doesn't even load legendary sentences properly before the break sometimes! I think maybe once they get repeated it gets mixed up.

Return to “Unanswered Sentence Discussions”