Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to Use Sentence Discussions

Duolingo sentence discussions that don't yet have any replies

luo-ning

How to Use Sentence Discussions

Post by luo-ning »

Note: To report bugs, make sure you're on at least v0.1.18, then press Alt+Shift+R from inside the relevant Duolingo challenge with the browser extension installed and enabled, then follow the instructions in the prompt.

To create a Sentence Discussion topic, you need to use the Duome browser extension, currently in open beta, along with the desktop web version of Duolingo.

Instructions:

luo-ning wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:03 pm

How to install:

1. Install Tampermonkey
  2. Restart your browser
  3. Go to ext/luoning/sentencediscussions/styles/ ... pt.user.js and install the userscript
  4. You should now see a "DUOME" button next to most Duolingo challenges after you solve them, like this:
    ![duome_btn.PNG](https://i.postimg.cc/Kjzfb5vx/screenshot-303.png)
  5. When you click it, a topic will be created in the Sentence Discussions subforum that you can reply to, or if one already exists for that sentence, you'll be taken there.

Note that not every sentence has a translation or a corresponding discussion on the Duolingo forum, which is why you won't always see those elements.

(BB: edited the picture)

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 13, 2022 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated the stated version to v0.1.18

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

Corinnebelle

Re: How to Use the Sentence Discussions Forum

Post by Corinnebelle »

So will this work if a sentence has no comments on it yet?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am

So will this work if a sentence has no comments on it yet?

Yes, it should work regardless. If a topic for that sentence doesn't yet exist on Duome, it'll be created here.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Notice that for the same Source/Target language duo, there can be 2 discussions in duolingo, hence also in DSD.
The first one is when the "source" sentence is presented, to be translated to the target language.
The second one when the "target" sentence is presented, to be translated to the source language.
That leads to 2 non-related discussions ... about the same ;-)

Example here

They have the comment-ID 13063060 and 9673053

Moving topics by hand with the Moderator tools to the respective from/to subforum works fine.
The Search index is maintained well too. I moved 11 EN>SV topics to Swedish f=415

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:37 am

Notice that for the same Source/Target language duo, there can be 2 discussions in duolingo, hence also in DSD.

Hmm, interesting. Might consolidate these later, but for now they should remain as two separate topics.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

It usually works fine, but it sent me to the wrong sentences on the last 2 exercises of the Possessive skill in the Russian tree. One sentence was:
Our guest is already here.

My answer:
Наш гость уже здесь.

It was marked correct. Clicking the Duome button sent me to "И Тим, и Том — мои гости." (en: Both Tim and Tom are my guests.)

The second one was:
my path

My answer:
мой путь

It was also marked correct. Clicking the Duome button sent me to "твоя кровь" (en: your blood)

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

In a practice (dumbbell) session of the Portuguese tree in the penultimate exercise it sent me again to the wrong sentence. Maybe because it's marked "HARD EXERCISE". It isn't hard for me, but it sure seems hard for the script... The sentence was:
Hello, nice to meet you.

My answer was:
Olá, prazer em conhecer você.

It was marked correct, but the Duome button sent me to "Eu falo inglês." (en: I speak English.)
Then again on the last exercise of the session, the sentence was:
Sorry, I do not have milk.

My answer was:
Desculpe, não tenho leite.

It was also marked correct, although this time with:
Another correct solution:
Desculpe, eu não tenho leite.

However, the Duome button sent me to "Olá, prazer em conhecer você." (en: Hello, nice to meet you.)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

wow this is super awesome :)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

luo-ning wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:07 am

Yes, it should work regardless. If a topic for that sentence doesn't yet exist on Duome, it'll be created here.

But this subforum is still intended for both existing and inexistent sentence discussion, right? Just asking because the forum was recently renamed from "Sentence Discussions" to "Unanswered Sentence Discussion" which is kind of misleading.

My second question: is it possible to manually create a thread here, following the structure the bot uses? Unfortunately, I only have my cell phone at the moment, so I can't use the plugin.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Cifi wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 am

But this subforum is still intended for both existing and inexistent sentence discussion, right? Just asking because the forum was recently renamed from "Sentence Discussions" to "Unanswered Sentence Discussion" which is kind of misleading.

SDs are now automatically moved to the relevant language forum as soon as they get their first reply. That's why this subforum was renamed, because it's now basically just a holding area between SDs getting created by the bot and them getting their first reply from a human.

Cifi wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 am

My second question: is it possible to manually create a thread here, following the structure the bot uses? Unfortunately, I only have my cell phone at the moment, so I can't use the plugin.

Not really — each bot-created SD is backed by some invisible metadata, and the idea is that each one uniquely maps to a Duolingo challenge and the corresponding topic on Duolingo forums if one exists for it.

For now, if the SD doesn't already exist for that sentence (you can check with the forum search feature), the best thing is probably to create your own topic manually in the relevant language forum to ask your question, quoting the relevant sentence. Hopefully this feature will at least partially support mobile in the future, but it's really not clear to me how best to do that currently.

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

luo-ning wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:20 am

SDs are now automatically moved to the relevant language forum as soon as they get their first reply.

When they move to the relevant language forum, will they appear as a "new" post (so they will trigger subscription notifications), or are they just shifted to the different forum as an already existing post?

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:33 am

When they move to the relevant language forum, will they appear as a "new" post (so they will trigger subscription notifications), or are they just shifted to the different forum as an already existing post?

I'm not sure if they'll trigger forum notifications for that subforum — the mechanism for moving them is just an automated version of when a moderator moves a post, so the result should be identical to whatever happens then.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Re: How to Use Sentence Discussions

Post by Upbeat 88 »

O BTW i have been experiencing issues with the button there in duolingo is there and then its gone i don't know what is going on and i use Microsoft edge

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Now quite a few sentence discussions have already been transported here. Some seem to have been transported several times.

I read some of them (en-fr, en-de) but couldn't make out what the open question was. Perhaps those transporting the discussion should explain why it was transported here, i.e. what the open question is. I would be happy to make an effort to provide answers.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention], I think the unanswered sentence discussions simply open a space where someone can go to ask a specific question about the given sentence. Then someone needs to stumble upon it and ask a question, which then can be answered.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Stasia wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:11 pm

@MoniqueMaRie, I think the unanswered sentence discussions simply open a space where someone can go to ask a specific question about the given sentence. Then someone needs to stumble upon it and ask a question, which then can be answered.

Okay - then I will wait until I see a question about it

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

53 pages of "unanswered" sentence discussions? Quite a waste... they should all be removed: they must have been posted by people testing the extension, so there is no use in having them there rot forever.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍdebate ㆍduolingo ㆍduome

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

gmads wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:43 am

53 pages of "unanswered" sentence discussions? Quite a waste... they should all be removed: they must have been posted by people testing the extension, so there is no use in having them there rot forever.

As far as I can see, all the sentence discussions are all posted by the Sentence bot.

Unanswered sentence discussions, are well…unanswered sentence discussions.
They stay in that folder, until a user posts a comment in them, and that post will automatically be moved to the corresponding sentence discussion folder/language sub-forum.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Jacko079 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:51 am

As far as I can see, all the sentence discussions are all posted by the Sentence bot.

Unanswered sentence discussions, are well…unanswered sentence discussions.
They stay in that folder, until a user posts a comment in them, and that post will automatically be moved to the corresponding sentence discussion folder/language sub-forum.

The sentence bot is the user profile used by the script that copies example sentences from Duo into this forum. So anyone testing it for the first time would end up creating entries here unintentionally.

Anyway, regardless of them being created by accident or not... what's to answer when there isn't a question, or to follow up when there isn't a comment? Compare the following empty "unanswered/uncommented" wasted entries that fullfill no purpose as there is nothing to answer nor comment:

With the following where a question or a comment was made by the person posting them:

From my point of view, all the "unanswered" sentences in those 53 pages are just noise, therefore, I'd say they should be deleted.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍdebate ㆍduome

Last edited by gmads on Wed May 10, 2023 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Antinomy - Imagination

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@luo-ning , would you consider adding the URL https://www-internal.duolingo.com/... to the extension so it recognizes it? Because who doesn't want the new "one path" uses this URL to get the old skill tree. Thank you very much.

I know, alternatively we can use Duome (e.g. https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress/) to study what we need or want, but most people prefer the tree. It is true we don't know how long the tree (https://www-internal.duolingo.com) will work.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri May 05, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] I am one of those people making what you call "noise". I suppose this is because they show up in the unread posts on the forum. The thing I find is when I have a query about a sentence the Duolingo page takes so long to load that I end up opening both at the same time in case I need the Duome one. I usually have gone on to the next question by then, and can't go back and open the Duome extension if I need it. Thus the "noise". What we are doing anyway is making a list of Duolingo's sentences.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:06 am

@gmads I am one of those people making what you call "noise". I suppose this is because they show up in the unread posts on the forum. The thing I find is when I have a query about a sentence the Duolingo page takes so long to load that I end up opening both at the same time in case I need the Duome one. I usually have gone on to the next question by then, and can't go back and open the Duome extension if I need it.

I am not so sure I got the reasoning behind them being posted, but anyway, I was not questioning about the origin or whereabouts of the sentences, nor looking for those posting them, nor critizing anyone for doing it.

Thus the "noise".

Given that it seems to be a case of me calling all those posts "noise," I'll better offer a definition of noise:

• unexplained or unexpected information in a sample that is not useful and that can be ignored

• unnecessary information or activity

So, there it is, any random, meaningless data, might be called "noise." And that was the one and only reason of being of my posting: to question the usefulness of the sentences.

What we are doing anyway is making a list of Duolingo's sentences.

That is not the actual reason, but it's okay.

Antinomy - Imagination

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I made a post about that here but no action has been taken whatsoever :?

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:51 am

I made a post about that here but no action has been taken whatsoever :?

I would say these two are different but related issues. Of course, deleting them would certainly solve your problem :) but yours, as you mentioned in the referred thread, has to do with them being displayed, so if they could be hidden from your listing then you would not mind them. Not that I mind them much, but I truly don't see them as fulfilling any real purpose... other than filling up space :lol:

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Thinking a bit about the already answered sentences, I would suggest moving all those that are not actually language-related, but just funny "answers" (e.g. 1, 2, 3), to a new global subforum, regardless of the language of the sentence discussion. This would save users quite some time as they would not have to go into a thread looking for something useful only to find funny comments.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] Thanks for qualifying what "noise" means. I've actually been in this bin of unused sentences and pulled out a couple I wanted to use. Lately I wanted to get to a Duolingo sentence discussion. Thankfully because I had made a Duome sentence extension, I was able to get to it to write this comment. I also sometimes will compare different sentences in a lesson with this feature.

Thinking a bit about the already answered sentences, I would suggest moving all those that are not actually language-related, but just funny "answers" (e.g. 1, 2, 3), to a new global subforum, regardless of the language of the sentence discussion.

That would take all the fun out of it! Sometimes a quirky comment shows you're enjoying the course. These sentences can of course also be linked to as funny sentences as well.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 pm

Thinking a bit about the already answered sentences, I would suggest moving all those that are not actually language-related, but just funny "answers" (e.g. 1, 2, 3), to a new global subforum, regardless of the language of the sentence discussion.

That would take all the fun out of it! Sometimes a quirky comment shows you're enjoying the course. These sentences can of course also be linked to as funny sentences as well.

Not really, because I'm not suggesting getting rid of them, just moving them to a "funny replies" subforum. In case one intended to be entertained, one could then head over to that subforum, but if one is looking to learn or contribute, then one would not waste time opening threads that are irrelevant.

Anyway, just as correctly applying a great knot to a specific problem leads us to state in all confidence, this is not going anywhere, I see the same thing could be said now.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] Yes, we all have our wishes, but we don't have a way to fulfill them! I think maybe some sort of icon for funny sentences might be nice otherwise we'd end up with two of the sentence if someone had a grammatical question about a funny sentence.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

gmads wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:43 pm

SDs might have both funny answers and serious answers. So I'm afraid this isn't a good idea.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

EranBarLev wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:32 pm
gmads wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:43 pm

SDs might have both funny answers and serious answers. So I'm afraid this isn't a good idea.

Where "might" is the keyword...

If, and I'd say that is a big "if," considering how things have gone, a serious answer were to be given... then that sd could be moved back... but it's okay, I suggested what I thought would improve usage of the forum.

Antinomy - Imagination

Return to “Unanswered Sentence Discussions”