Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] About adverbs in Hebrew

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] About adverbs in Hebrew

Post by Corinnebelle »

James159332 wrote:

There is one thing about adverbs in Hebrew that is a bit unclear to me. It is about making an adverb out of an adjective. The tips section in the adverbs skill states the following:
"Many adverbs that end in "-ly" in English are paraphrased in Hebrew by using the word אופן ("way", "method"):
independent - עצמאי independently - באופן עצמאי (literally "in an independent way")"
My question is: to which adjectives is it possible to use the word באופן before the adjective to get an adverb out of it? Is this only allowed for some adjectives, or can you do it to any adjective? For example, the adjective beautiful is in Hebrew יפה. What if I wanted to have beautiful as an adverb, the adverb beautifully? Is it acceptable to say that beautifully is in Hebrew באופן יפה? (meaning "in a beautiful way") So could I translate "She sings beautifully" as "היא שרה באופן יפה"?
When putting "beautifully" in an online translator (either google translate, doitinhebrew or contextreverso) I get "יפה", so, according to these sites the adverb "beautifully" is "יפה", the same as the word for "beautiful".
If using באופן isn't acceptable for every adjective, is there some other systematic method for getting an adverb out of an adjective? Something similiar as in English, where you often can end adjectives with -ly: responsible-responsibly beautiful-beautifully systematic-systematically annoying-annoyingly and so on.

Archive of comments

If you don't want your post on here please notify me.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Grammar”