Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Tips for learning new alphabet?

Moderator: HeyMarlana

LilaMable
United States of America

Tips for learning new alphabet?

Post by LilaMable »

I'm new to Ukrainian. I've done a bit of Latin and Spanish (I'm a native English speaker) but this the first language I've started learning with a different alphabet.
Are there are tips or things I should know? Thank in advance!

Beginner in Latin and Spanish

vero-bis
France

Re: Tips for learning new alphabet?

Post by vero-bis »

Hi! i'm also a beginner. Here you have a link for very useful materials, with audiofiles and pdf script. It helped me a lot.

https://duolinguists.wordpress.com/2022 ... nian-tree/

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

The Cyrillic alphabet doesn't take long to figure out. Just know that it's entirely phonetic, so the letter you see stays with however it's pronounced no matter how basic or advanced you are in Ukrainian.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

HeyMarlana wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:39 am

The Cyrillic alphabet doesn't take long to figure out. Just know that it's entirely phonetic, so the letter you see stays with however it's pronounced no matter how basic or advanced you are in Ukrainian.

no it's not

Ukrainian is fairly close to being phonetic but still there are Є Ю Я with more than 1 pronunciation, plus you got consonants being voiced (i.e. Ш being pronounced as Ж) and apparently also A is pronounced differently depending if it's stressed or not (but they're very close so irl I've never noticed any difference)

in other languages like Russian it's much more wild, like Я has at least 9 different pronunciations there :o

I don't think any language is entirely phonetic, or at least I haven't heard about such one yet 🤔

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

True. I should have said almost entirely phonetic.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Return to “Ukrainian”