Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo sentence Discuss button deviates to Duome

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

luo-ning

Re: Duolingo sentence Discuss button deviates to Duome

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:55 am

OK. Did some more testing and found the following correlation:

• It seems to be missing on the first sentence of some lessons only.
  • From the 2nd sentence onwards it's always all there.
  • Some skills - I tested a lesson in 4 skills. 2 have it missing on the first sentence, 2 others not,
  • but OK for all 4 on next sentences
  • F5 did not cure the cases where it's missing

"Missing" means the Discuss button is there, but not the Duome button next to it.

OK, first try upgrading to the latest ext/luoning/sentencediscussions/styles/ ... pt.user.js (should be >= v0.1.2) as I've made some changes that may possibly fix it. Then if you see it again, could you try opening the browser console with F12, paste copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)) and press Enter, then paste the results in an unlisted paste here, and send me the link to that paste?

There's different matching logic and handling for each challenge type, and Duolingo has quite a lot of challenge types, so it's likely I still haven't covered all of them, which might be why the button is intermittently missing.

Last edited by luo-ning on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

All tests were fine now. Well done.
I'll report like you said, should it occur again.

I had some fancy ideas, but I'll keep them here for the time being...
you have "done" it again, and that's enough already. 1000 Thanks.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

luo-ning wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:51 am

opening the browser console with F12, paste copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)) and press Enter, then paste the results in an unlisted paste here, and send me the link to that paste?

I didn't have an error, but wanted to practice the error reporting like you said.
So debugger is open with F12, then paste WHERE exactly?
I tried pasting in the console. Got the whole lesson as output I think (15 questions)

this is what I got in the console

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:20 pm

I didn't have an error, but wanted to practice the error reporting like you said.
So debugger is open with F12, then paste WHERE exactly?
I tried pasting in the console. Got the whole lesson as output I think (15 questions)

Perfect, that's what the output should be 👍

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Note that in the current solution the extra DUOME button appears next to the DISCUSS button.
If there is no DISCUSS button, that's a duolingo decision, but even then there should be the DUOME button ;-)

[mention]luo-ning[/mention] one of the screenshots in your earlier replies needs an update ;-)
Here is the most recent screenshot NIIIICCCCCEEEEE 8-) with our "familiar" owl and the iny tiny misalignment corrected
Well done guys !

duome

Post by duome »

Well, this is actually Duolingo's owl from Duocon - if we choose to have it there, may it be without the writing over the small icon?

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:47 am

If there is no DISCUSS button, then no DUOME button either ;-)

You'll sometimes get only the "Duome" button, depends on the challenge type — there are certain sentence-based challenge types that Duolingo forum has never supported, but Duome now does 😊. You should never see only the "Discuss" button, though — if you do, that's a bug.

duome wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:06 am

Well, this is actually Duolingo's owl from Duocon - if we choose to have it there, may it be without the writing over the small icon?

Oh right haha, I did wonder where that logo came from! Maybe Duome needs its own distinctive logo? Anyway, easy enough to remove the writing.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

or add a "me": Image

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

Just installed the script, and it seems to be working as intended so far (I did a test click to see if Sentence Discussions received it, and it did). Thanks for making this script. :)

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

luo-ning wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 pm

This is true... but there won't always be a 1-to-1 correspondence, e.g. say Duolingo adds a new course for Kay(f)bop(t) but we haven't added the corresponding Kay(f)bop(t) forum yet.

Maybe a single flat forum but filterable by source and target language would work?

I'm rethinking this now — might be better to have the sentences for each language pair under the respective forum, with unknown ones under viewforum.php?f=100-languages-not-yet-covered. But this can be changed relatively easily later on; each topic is linked to some metadata on the back end that includes its "learning" and "from" languages, so all that'd be needed is creating a "map" of language pairs to forum IDs and then migrating the topics. Doesn't need to be done now, just something to think about.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

luo-ning wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:29 am
luo-ning wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 pm

This is true... but there won't always be a 1-to-1 correspondence, e.g. say Duolingo adds a new course for Kay(f)bop(t) but we haven't added the corresponding Kay(f)bop(t) forum yet.

Maybe a single flat forum but filterable by source and target language would work?

I'm rethinking this now — might be better to have the sentences for each language pair under the respective forum, with unknown ones under viewforum.php?f=100-languages-not-yet-covered.

for EN=>SV that would then be
viewforum.php?f=415-duolingo-sentence-discussion

I'll move the sentences one by one manually as I see them appear (as long as there aisn't a too high number coming in...) I'll change that forum to "closed" = no new manual posts

I'd like/prefer (what do you think) a kind of "uniform over all languages" DSD icon, rather than the SV/USA which I have now... maybe the SV flag with white-on-green DSD instead of the "from" flag?

I am a bit torn between "Duolingo Sentence Discussion" or "Duome Sentence Discussion" or even - but less likely - simply "Sentence Discussion" and leave the forum unlocked so it accepts sentences from other than duolingo systems/situations/online tests, etc...but of course then we enter the "Questions and Answers" domain...

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

[mention]Basler Biker[/mention] Overall it'd be best if moderators avoid changing anything about the bot-created topics manually (except for replying to them), though simply moving them to a different subforum should be fine. The reason is that any manual changes made now might complicate any future automatic migration. For example, it's possible (not thoroughly tested) that manually deleting or merging the topics might lead to "orphan" metadata, which will cause the extension to simply show "page not found" instead of recreating the topic correctly.

Also, setting the forum to locked won't work, because that also prevents users from adding replies; instead, it needs to be set to set to unlocked, but under "Forum Permissions" for that forum, edit permissions for the "Registered Users" group > Advanced permissions > set "Can start new topic" to "No".

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

luo-ning wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:56 am

@Basler Biker Overall it'd be best if moderators avoid changing anything about the bot-created topics manually (except for replying to them), though simply moving them to a different subforum should be fine. The reason is that any manual changes made now might complicate any future automatic migration. For example, it's possible (not thoroughly tested) that manually deleting or merging the topics might lead to "orphan" metadata, which will cause the extension to simply show "page not found" instead of recreating the topic correctly.

Also, setting the forum to locked won't work, because that also prevents users from adding replies; instead, it needs to be set to set to unlocked, but under "Forum Permissions" for that forum, edit permissions for the "Registered Users" group > Advanced permissions > set "Can start new topic" to "No".

I don't intend to change the auto-created DSD. When I did for Swedish, that's just a test, and it can all be undone or even topics deleted if they hinder technically. Any "post" manipulation by mods seems not necessary to me either. we let the discussion go as they go on-or off-topic (the sentence), whatever ... And indeed the "locked" indicator on the DSD forum may scare-off anyone wanting to get into it and start a discussion. So I won't do that either, and do like you said indeed.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Please keep us informed of when this gets out of beta. Thanks [mention]luo-ning[/mention] for your hard work on this!

I tested it out in Hebrew. First time I hit it, it worked, but then strangely the discuss button and the owl disappeared for awhile and then came back. I guess those sentences on Duo don't have a discuss button, might be due to some corrections due to the audio being swapped on some sentences in the Hebrew course.

Just a question, is there any way to run this from a sentence discussion as well as a lesson? I noticed the other week an unanswered question on this sentence discussion. Someone made a sentence discussion topic in the Hebrew forum as well that I wonder if it could be linked in somehow as well.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:03 am

I tested it out in Hebrew. First time I hit it, it worked, but then strangely the discuss button and the owl disappeared for awhile and then came back. I guess those sentences on Duo don't have a discuss button, might be due to some corrections due to the audio being swapped on some sentences in the Hebrew course.

Next time that happens, could you try the following bug reporting steps? Might help me locate the issue.

if you see it again, could you try opening the browser console with F12, paste copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)) and press Enter, then paste the results in an unlisted paste here, and send me the link to that paste?

There's different matching logic and handling for each challenge type, and Duolingo has quite a lot of challenge types, so it's likely I still haven't covered all of them, which might be why the button is intermittently missing.

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:03 am

Just a question, is there any way to run this from a sentence discussion as well as a lesson? I noticed the other week an unanswered question on this sentence discussion. Someone made a sentence discussion topic in the Hebrew forum as well that I wonder if it could be linked in somehow as well.

No, and allowing that would require changing the data model, because sentences are currently uniquely identified by challenge_generator_id, rather than duolingo_forum_topic_id. The latter is an optional field, because we support more types of challenges than Duolingo did.

Perhaps the logic could be amended to accept one or both (but requiring both to be unique if set).Then, if the same sentence is re-"added" later, it'll update the existing metadata if it exists for the duolingo_forum_topic_id.

There's also the question of whether to merge metadata for sentences that have multiple Duolingo sentence discussions, in which case you'd instead get a one-to-many relationship of Duome sentence discussions to duolingo_forum_topic_ids.

All of this can potentially be done with future migrations, but will take some time.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]luo-ning[/mention] I'll try! I first encountered the bug on a listening exercise, but then other listening exercises worked so I don't know if it was DL or the userscript.

Should I request to start moving sentences to the Hebrew forum or wait a awhile?

Linking the sentences from multiple sentence discussions on the same sentence would be interesting. I imagine it would be a lot of work though?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 pm

Should I request to start moving sentences to the Hebrew forum or wait a awhile?

Up to you. Moving forums is the 1 type of change I'm fairly sure won't impact future migrations, but it might be wasted effort, as in future it'll be done automatically (hopefully I'll have this update up before too long).

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 pm

Linking the sentences from multiple sentence discussions on the same sentence would be interesting. I imagine it would be a lot of work though?

Yeah, this is likely to take longer. Probably best not to rush any changes that affect the data model, as people's usage and preferences during beta are all relevant to what changes should be made.

Moving forums won't affect the data model, though, because each row sentence discussion metadata links to a topic ID, and each topic ID already links to a forum ID... it just happens that they're all 420 (thug lyfe 😎) right now, because that's the forum ID of the sentence discussions forum.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]luo-ning[/mention] when doing the characters in Hebrew, encountered the duome symbol when I got a word. However it didn't lead to anything. These aren't sentences just a word or phrase sometimes in a lesson. I don't know if one should just ignore it. I tried the F12 but wasn't sure where to go from there. Where do you paste copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)) ?

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 am

@luo-ning when doing the characters in Hebrew, encountered the duome symbol when I got a word. However it didn't lead to anything. These aren't sentences just a word or phrase sometimes in a lesson.

That's weird, those shouldn't be showing up for things like character exercises (might eventually add support for those if there's demand though). When you say "didn't lead to anything", do you mean clicking it did nothing, or clicking it opened a window that hung on displaying "Loading...", or opened a window that lead to "This topic doesn't exist", or something else?

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 am

Where do you paste copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)) ?

https://pastebin.com/ please, then you can send me the link to the paste ☺️ also it'd be good if you mention the exact text of the challenge that caused the issue.

BTW there is a known bug where clicking "Can't listen/speak now" will cause the sentences to become out of sync, so you'll see the button for the wrong sentence after that point. Hopefully I'll fix that soon.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Then if you see it again, could you try opening the browser console with F12, paste copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)) and press Enter, then paste the results in an unlisted paste here, and send me the link to that paste?

I got the missing button in the penultimate sentence of the Contractions 1 skill in the Portuguese tree. (It worked fine before that.) I pressed F12 but I don't see where I can paste anything. I use Edge/Win11. Maybe it works differently in your browser.
The sentence was:

The boy talks about them.

My answer was:

O menino fala deles.

It was marked correct, but no Duome button.
Then it happened again in the last sentence of the same skill, which was:

Their monkey drinks milk.

My answer was:

O macaco deles bebe leite.

Again it was marked correct, but no Duome button.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

It just said loading.
With this link: about:blank

The word was וו in characters meaning hook.

Pressing F12 brings up an option to open dev tools, but I don't know where to paste the copy(JSON.stringify(challenges)). I'm no computer geek. :?

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

OK, I've added an easier way of grabbing the debug info:

1. Check you're on version ≥0.1.6 by clicking ext/luoning/sentencediscussions/styles/ ... pt.user.js and updating if necessary.
  2. Now you should be able to press Alt+Shift+R (or Option+Shift+R on Mac) from within Duolingo to get the debug info.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

is there a keyboard shortcut to create the discussion without using the mouse?

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Not currently, though I can add one. Alt+Shift+D maybe?

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

luo-ning wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:20 pm

Not currently, though I can add one. Alt+Shift+D maybe?

I'd suggest M as D is taken already and M is the other consonant in "duome" :)

3 keys is unnecessarily complicated :?

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

there is also a problem that if you use the duolingo solution viewer the solutions get blocked :?

if you turn off the duome then refresh the page then turn it on again and refresh it seems to work but by default it doesn't 🤔

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:42 pm

there is also a problem that if you use the duolingo solution viewer the solutions get blocked :?

Hmm, I'd kinda worried that that might happen, as they both intercept the requests to Duolingo's server. There might be some way around it, like a way that multiple "listeners" can be added to those same requests... I'll look into it.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:48 pm

is there a keyboard shortcut to create the discussion without using the mouse?

Added, it's Alt+S (for Sentence discussions 😉).

Most issues of sentences getting out of sync should now be solved, but there may still be some cases that aren't covered, in which case please keep reporting bugs! 😄

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

I don't know if it's just me, but when I had this script installed (I'm in Edge, just in case it may be relevant), it didn't let me log out. I would click on "log out", but the page would just go blank. If I refreshed, I would still be logged in. I had to remove the add-on altogether in order to be able to sign out.

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Sofia222677 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:32 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but when I had this script installed (I'm in Edge, just in case it may be relevant), it didn't let me log out. I would click on "log out", but the page would just go blank. If I refreshed, I would still be logged in. I had to remove the add-on altogether in order to be able to sign out.

Thanks for the report! Not just you, I can reproduce, guess I never encountered this as I never have any need to log out 😂 I'll have to investigate further.

Return to “Requests new Duome features”