Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo sentence Discuss button deviates to Duome

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

Seiryuu
Canada

Re: Duolingo sentence Discuss button deviates to Duome

Post by Seiryuu »

I think that'd be a difficult thing to do, as Duolingo discussions are threaded by individual posts (e.g., Reddit) rather than by sequential posts like this one.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

dochawk wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:37 am

are the duolingo forum comments supposed to have exported to duome? i have yet to see one where it's happened.

Have you seen this post

Duome has links to sentence discussions with space to comment on those sentences here as well. This is a work in progress as it is created by users through tampermonkey.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Great job! Thank you, luo-ning and all those who helped with this script.

Does anybody know if the original Duolingo sentence discussion will never be open? Is it already certain?

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:30 pm

Great job! Thank you, luo-ning and all those who helped with this script.

Does anybody know if the original Duolingo sentence discussion will never be open? Is it already certain?

they said they're temporarily locked which means they're probably not going to be open ever again :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed all of the sentence discussions altogether so that you couldn't even read them :roll:

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:20 pm

Have you seen this post

yes, and a few others.

It's just that from some of them, i got the impression that duome was going to import (i presumed as a low priority background task), such that additions/continuations would be possible

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

dochawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:59 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:20 pm

Have you seen this post

yes, and a few others.

It's just that from some of them, i got the impression that duome was going to import (i presumed as a low priority background task), such that additions/continuations would be possible

You mean import from hobune stream? I have been working on Hebrew and this has been my method of importing from archive.ph. Different people have different methods [mention]Jacko079[/mention] method. If you would like to help, there's plenty to do.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

btw can you make it possible to create the duome thread from the discussion page? (same way the solution viewer works there (tho not on every sentence :?))

dochawk
United States of America

Post by dochawk »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:33 am

You mean import from hobune stream?

I dunno; i didn't pick up details.

If I was going to do it, my approach would be that when a person opened the duome page, if it hadn't already happened, it would automatically load and parse the duolingo comment page, and parse it into the database.

But I"m months from being able to dive into any new projects.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

LICA98 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:59 am

btw can you make it possible to create the duome thread from the discussion page? (same way the solution viewer works there (tho not on every sentence :?))

As in, from the Duolingo forum? I'll look into it, but not sure if the necessary data is fetched when those pages are opened... but I guess if the solution viewer works there there must be some way they're implementing that.

Can you post a link to 1 Duolingo forum SD where the solution viewer works and 1 where it doesn't?

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

luo-ning wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:21 pm
LICA98 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:59 am

As in, from the Duolingo forum? I'll look into it, but not sure if the necessary data is fetched when those pages are opened... but I guess if the solution viewer works there there must be some way they're implementing that.

Can you post a link to 1 Duolingo forum SD where the solution viewer works and 1 where it doesn't?

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32009178 works
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/21074762 doesn't

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

I've just finished a Duolingo session and at some point the Duome button stopped working properly (I'm in Edge in case it's relevant).
At first it was working as intended, but after a while, instead of creating a post with the sentence I just did and from which I clicked the button, it created a discussion to the previous sentence.
I figured that all I had to do was to click on the owl icon at the next sentence to get a post with the intended sentence. But this trick soon stopped working, and as a result I didn't get to start a discussion to some sentences I wanted to comment on, and instead now there is a bunch of unanswered SDs I didn't want to create in the first place.

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Looks like I posted this, without making a reply to [mention]Sofia222677[/mention] . Ooops!

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:00 am
Sofia222677 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:35 pm

I've just finished a Duolingo session and at some point the Duome button stopped working properly (I'm in Edge in case it's relevant).
At first it was working as intended, but after a while, instead of creating a post with the sentence I just did and from which I clicked the button, it created a discussion to the previous sentence.
I figured that all I had to do was to click on the owl icon at the next sentence to get a post with the intended sentence. But this trick soon stopped working, and as a result I didn't get to start a discussion to some sentences I wanted to comment on, and instead now there is a bunch of unanswered SDs I didn't want to create in the first place.

I have had this happen also and I use Microsoft edge i don't use chrome much anymore for privacy issues

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Sofia222677[/mention] [mention]Upbeat 88[/mention] Have you tried using the report feature that goes with button to fix it? That should give [mention]luo-ning[/mention] the information he needs to fix it.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]luo-ning[/mention] Could I make a request? The Hebrew sentences have the end punctuation on the opposite side of the sentence to the one they should. Is it possible to put RTL in the code for the Hebrew sentences in the sentence discussions? [mention]Alivated[/mention] and [mention]Kelikaku[/mention] might want this too for Arabic and Yiddish. Someone commented about it looking the wrong way round here.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

it seems that the extension stopped working properly... I tried to create 3 threads today but every time it created a thread for a completely different SD 🤔 anyone else get this problem?

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:24 am

it seems that the extension stopped working properly... I tried to create 3 threads today but every time it created a thread for a completely different SD 🤔 anyone else get this problem?

I occasionally get this problem, but I'm also seeing certain sentences where the button for Duome doesn't show up at all.

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

Hi, I have just registered and maybe this was discussed before. I use Firefox 102.6 and I have installer Tampermonkey and the Duome script.

This works on the standard www.duolingo.com but not on www-internal.duolingo.com ( see attached pics).

wwwduo.png
wwwduo.png (43.34 KiB) Viewed 15059 times
internal.png
internal.png (27.82 KiB) Viewed 15059 times

Is there a fix for that?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

nudelfressa wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:19 am

This works on the standard www.duolingo.com but not on www-internal.duolingo.com ( see attached pics).

wwwduo.png
internal.png

Is there a fix for that?

It has been discussed before, there's no fix, as [mention]luo-ning[/mention] who developed the script seems to have abandoned us. :(

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

I called him already in September. However, no response:

viewtopic.php?p=31053-how-to-use-senten ... ons#p31053

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

Too bad. I'm not a programmer but I'll try to give a look at the code.

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

Unfortunately it seems like we'll have to go back to manually adding sentence discussions.

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

Hi, as promised, I'm not a developer. I've hacked a couple of lines here and there and tested this new script:
https://termbin.com/becb

This is a temporary script and will expire at one point.

Go to tampermonkey, delete the old script, "create a new script", copy from the above and paste it into the field and click save, reload the page.

It seems to work for me but only on www-internal.duolingo.

Please test it and if it works, can anybody with javascript skills please polish it.

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

viewtopic.php?p=39949-ich-trinke-nur-so ... -de#p39949

my custom scripts generates a wrong title with the abbreviation dn-->de.

I really hope somebody with a bit of javascript skills may give a look at my script and fix it.
https://termbin.com/becb

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

I've double checked. It's actually the original script from [mention]luo-ning[/mention] that generates that wrong header, so it's fair to say it's broken and shouldn't be used.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]nudelfressa[/mention] The script has an automatic setup somehow that moves things into the appropriate forum once there is a comment on a sentence. It somehow remembers the sentence next time someone clicks on the same one.

Good to have a user extension for internal.duolingo.com We don't have one. Only for duolingo.com

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:24 am

@nudelfressa The script has an automatic setup somehow that moves things into the appropriate forum once there is a comment on a sentence. It somehow remembers the sentence next time someone clicks on the same one.

Roger that, but I have reverted to the original extension, and I went to www.duolingo.com, course German from Dutch. It still creates a new thread on the Duome Forum as "dn > de" instead of "nl> de". So the original script may work fine on other courses but it's buggy on this particular course. Again, I hope somebody will jump in and fix that script, as I have zero javascript skills.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

nudelfressa wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:46 am

Roger that, but I have reverted to the original extension, and I went to www.duolingo.com, course German from Dutch. It still creates a new thread on the Duome Forum as "dn > de" instead of "nl> de". So the original script may work fine on other courses but it's buggy on this particular course. Again, I hope somebody will jump in and fix that script, as I have zero javascript skills.

It sounds like the code is preconfigured and doesn't take into account all names of languages.

nudelfressa
Italy

Post by nudelfressa »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:03 pm

It sounds like the code is preconfigured and doesn't take into account all names of languages.

Do we not have any "resident" javascript wizard in here that can give it a look?

Deleted User 7844

Post by Deleted User 7844 »

luo-ning wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:03 pm

OK, this is now in open beta. Expect bugs!

How to install:

1. Install Tampermonkey
  2. Restart your browser
  3. Go to ext/luoning/sentencediscussions/styles/ ... pt.user.js and install the userscript
  4. You should now see a "DUOME" button next to most Duolingo challenges after you solve them, like this:
    duome_btn.PNG
  5. When you click it, a topic will be created in the Sentence Discussions subforum that you can reply to, or if one already exists for that sentence, you'll be taken there.

Note that not every sentence has a translation or a corresponding discussion on the Duolingo forum, which is why you won't always see those elements.

Extension makes Duolingo completely unusable, even after I've uninstalled it. Clearing my cookies fixes it but only temporarily, and I'm also forced to log back in. I'm convinced I just installed malware.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1573

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-24 111744.png
Screenshot 2023-07-24 111744.png (19.14 KiB) Viewed 14544 times

Return to “Requests new Duome features”