Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Some please explain to me how C^u works?

Burl
United States of America

Some please explain to me how C^u works?

Post by Burl »

I am having difficulties in understanding this term. I understand you use it in a yes/no question, and somewhere online I read it literally translates to "is it true", at the beginning of a sentence. I suppose my misunderstanding is on duolingo, why can I not just say, "Is it true the dog is blue" - "Cu la hundo estas blua?" Why is the translation to that - "Is the dog blue?" It confuses me so much.

American English : Native
Esperanto : A1

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Some please explain to me how C^u works?

Post by Explorer »

Every language has its own way to form a question. The most important thing you have to understand is that Esperanto doesn't work like English does, that is, it doesn't use an auxiliary verb (to do) or the subject-verb inversion. It uses the interrogative particle ĉu at the beginning of the sentence instead. It always works the same way. There are no exceptions to the rule (Ĉu + pronoun + verb).

• Ĉu vi parolas esperanton = do you speak Esperanto?
  • Ĉu li trinkas bieron? = does he drink beer?
  • Ĉu ŝi estas usonano? = is she American?
  • Ĉu mi povas trinki tason da kafo? = can I have a cup of coffee?

Don't think in English. Think in Esperanto ;)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Burl
United States of America

Post by Burl »

Explorer wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:35 pm

Don't think in English. Think in Esperanto ;)

ahhhh... think in Esperanto! This is making my brain do weird things, but I think I understand now. Thank you! :)

American English : Native
Esperanto : A1

salivanto
United States of America

Post by salivanto »

This post makes me sad for the old forum. I had a mini-FAQ written up for this question -- which comes up a lot.

I know I saved a copy of this post (and many more) which I will be rewriting and sharing on my blog. (I only got that up and running yesterday - and there's nothing on it.) I also have a mailing list that I've been using to share updates and info from the old forum.

EsperantoBlog.com
esperanto.ck.page

Oh, it looks like someone archived a copy of my answer. (I'm not sure how I feel about that - but it's useful now). Here's everything you might want to know about how Cxu works.

https://duolingo.hobune.stream/comment/ ... -not-Estas.

Tomaso ALEXANDER
Professional certified Esperanto teacher
EsperantoBlog.com / esperanto.ck.page

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

How about this mnemonic:
Since 'C' and 'u' are both roughly horseshoe-shaped, you could imagine them being magnets that pull the verb to the front of the sentence (and makes a sentence that would otherwise be a statement into a question).

((no 'cxu)): The dog {{is}} blue.

((Cxu)): {{Is}} the dog blue?

Ne estas facila esti verda. :mrgreen: :star:

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I just started learning, but I found the videos of American Esperantist very helpful.

At this one he explains "cxu"...

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Return to “Esperanto”