Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo Yiddish Learners

DavidHefer
Israel

Duolingo Yiddish Learners

Post by DavidHefer »

On April 6, 2022 there were 500,000 Duolingo Yiddish learners. The number of learners drops down daily. On
:?: April 17, 2022 there are only 364,000. What happens

Moved from איך רעד יידיש to I'm learning Yiddish.

DavidHefer
Israel

Re: Duolingo Yiddish Learners

Post by DavidHefer »

It seems to me that if you don't practice for 1 year, you are not counted as a learner of the language anymore. The Duolingo Yiddish course started on April 6 2021 accompanied with a lot of publicity. But many users just tried it for a little while and abandoned it after a few days

Roul
United States of America

Post by Roul »

Sad too because the language is mad interesting.

Native: English / Primary Course: German

ammabb
United States of America

Post by ammabb »

Not sure if this is the case for many but for myself I got to a point where there is basically no audio and needed to stop until more of the course is updated.

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

A lot of learners are missing the forums, where you could ask questions and have your queries answered by more knowledgeable people. Especially for minority interest courses like Yiddish, this is very impotant as without the feedback from other users, the course is frankly a bit tedious to follow. I am sticking to it nevetheless, as I am pleased that it saw the light of day at all, but am using other sources of learning now as well, e.g. clozemaster offer some Yiddish practice, and I was surprised to be able to follow the exercises quite well. O

OtAzoy
United States of America

Post by OtAzoy »

Siobhan688078 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:23 pm

A lot of learners are missing the forums, where you could ask questions and have your queries answered by more knowledgeable people. Especially for minority interest courses like Yiddish, this is very important as without the feedback from other users, the course is frankly a bit tedious to follow.

You can head over to:
https://lifeandlanguage.boards.net
(You will need to register)
Then go to: General Language Discussion, Other Languages
and scroll down to Yiddish

I think I recognize your name. Are you already on lifeandlanguage?

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

זיכער

OtAzoy
United States of America

Post by OtAzoy »

Come visit "Yiddish Creative Writing" in LifeandLanguage and see my latest story under "Another Yiddish Creation - 5" . I love writing original Yiddish stories! :)

I am also willing, as much as I can, to answer any questions about Yiddish.

Last edited by OtAzoy on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
OtAzoy
United States of America

Post by OtAzoy »

Roul wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:32 pm

Sad too because the language is mad interesting.

For more Yiddish, you can head over to:
https://lifeandlanguage.boards.net
(You will need to register)
Then go to: General Language Discussion, Other Languages
and scroll down to Yiddish

I'm very active on the Yiddish Forum there and have contributed original Yiddish writing where learners can practice their Yiddish reading skills, and as much as I can, I'm willing to answer any Yiddish language questions.

DeborahLDrucker
United States of America

Post by DeborahLDrucker »

There is a Duolingo Yiddish Group on Facebook, it is a great place to get questions answered.

DeborahLDrucker
United States of America

Post by DeborahLDrucker »

ammabb wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:10 am

Not sure if this is the case for many but for myself I got to a point where there is basically no audio and needed to stop until more of the course is updated.

I'm having the same problem. I really need the audio.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

DeborahLDrucker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 am

How far into the course is that? There is always Forvo

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

taversham
Great Britain

Post by taversham »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:00 pm
DeborahLDrucker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:30 am

How far into the course is that? There is always Forvo

I'm about a quarter of my way into Unit 3 (of 5), and most words/sentences don't have audio any more. It's very difficult with the words of Hebrew origin where the vowels aren't represented in the spelling, and copying and pasting everything into forvo isn't practical (especially when using the mobile app). I feel like it's frustrating me more than teaching me anything at the moment. Hopefully there will be updates soon, for now I'm just focusing on levelling up the earlier units.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]taversham[/mention] What we do in the Hebrew course when we don't have audio for individual words is some of us have transliterated the sentences in the sentence discussions. If you have someone willing to assist you here, you might also be able to do that. Do you have the sentence discussion extension for Duome? If you have a question about a sentence you can try it.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

reedbook36
United States of America

Post by reedbook36 »

If you're at all serious about learning Yiddish, you could invest in the Comprehensive Yiddish-English Dictionary by Beinfeld and Bochner. I found it at an online used bookstore, figuring the language hasn't changed that much in the last few editions. It has pronunciations for the words from Hebrew, at least the YIVO pronunciations, which don't always line up with the dialect used on Duolingo. But at least you'll get close. There is some way of registering for online access as well, but I haven't looked into that.

Return to “Yiddish”