Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

German from English: Observations after 522 days

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

boatswainsmate
United States of America

German from English: Observations after 522 days

Post by boatswainsmate »

1.) After getting through the preliminaries, its good to find reading material suitable to your reading level. There are things called Graded Readers that have stories, articles, etc that are directed towards a more mature audience, but are written in easier vocabulary so it can be understood by beginning readers. Some good authors for graded readers are Erika Meyer and Peter Hagboldt. They wrote readers in the 1920s and 30s, but the stories are still good for reading, even though you might have to read in Gothic script (which is kind of fun too :D ) The key is finding reading material at your level, which is a matter of trial and error. If you find yourself looking up half the words on a page, the material is too difficult and you need to find something easier to read. Looking up 5% or so of the words per page is about right, so you can focus more on letting your mind get into the story than on acquiring vocabulary. The whole process of learning to read in German is a bear at first, but it gets easier as time goes by. You just have to keep at it, and keep it fun. I found reading Donald Duck comics helpful in the beginning, since the language is easy and the pictures help to understand the context of what is going on. (I still read comics, since I don't have to look up very many words to read them, which is fun).

2.) Set aside a certain amount of time each day to review some grammar. There are some great websites out there that are free, and are a wealth of information on grammar, tips and tricks, etc. One of them is https://germanwithlaura.com/learn-the-r ... n-grammar/ and I've seen others. Read a little each day, and then see how it applies to your reading, listening and (if you are lucky enough to have a German friend) speaking skills. Learning German is a lot like putting a puzzle together, except this puzzle is the size of a lake! Don't expect to put it all together in one session... if you push yourself hard like that you will most certainly burn yourself out so keep it fun and light so you keep coming back the next day :)

3.) When you read something you don't understand, there is a good chance it is an idiom. Use a website like https://www.dict.cc/ to confirm your suspicions, and then write the idiom down somewhere for review later. By the way, dict.cc is a great dictionary too, and to be honest, if it werent for this online dictionary, i don't believe I could learn German! Looking words up in a book would be painful, considering how many times I look things up. Dict.cc has word definitions and idioms associated with the words you look up. It is a goldmine (to me at least)!

4.) If you start to think you are getting good at German, test out your skills by watching a TV show. On the Roku you can get the Tageschau24 channel, and there are other channels you can get on a Firestick. If you want to humble yourself, try to keep up with the native speakers and that will quickly remind you that you have a long way to go. But what is fascinating is that after you have studied for a while, what the people are saying on TV will actually start to make sense! I use TV shows as a guage for how far I've come along in my studies. The key to watching TV shows is to relax your mind and let the words impress themselves into you as you listen. Don't try to translate what they are saying, just listen and let them speak to you.

Overall, learning German is like trying to look at something under a microscope. Reading gives you something to look at. grammar helps you bring things into focus. Keeping it fun is the most important thing!

If you have any suggestions or comments, please leave them below. The things people have shared from various sources have helped me immensely, and I welcome anything you have experienced that has helped you learn German :)

Deleted User 133

Re: German from English: Observations after 522 days

Post by Deleted User 133 »

That's a nice post.
I am a learner of the language so I relate to what you are mentioning here.

boatswainsmate wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:00 pm

There are some great websites out there that are free, and are a wealth of information on grammar, tips and tricks, etc.

I find the explanations on this site very helpful.

boatswainsmate
United States of America

Post by boatswainsmate »

Alivated wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:33 pm

That's a nice post.
I am a learner of the language so I relate to what you are mentioning here.

There are some great websites out there that are free, and are a wealth of information on grammar, tips and tricks, etc.

I find the explanations on this site very helpful.

Thank you! I'm looking at it and have bookmarked the site.

CarlosTSG
Great Britain

Post by CarlosTSG »

I also watch bit of German TV via Joyn.de using a VPN but if you didn't want to do that then there's always Netflix.

4.) If you start to think you are getting good at German, test out your skills by watching a TV show. On the Roku you can get the Tageschau24 channel, and there are other channels you can get on a Firestick.

Native: 🇬🇧 Learning: 🇩🇪

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

[mention]boatswainsmate[/mention] Despite I have no idea how it is to learn German as a second language, because I learnt it as my first, I can relate to a lot what you have written. I think most of it we can expand to all languages. They say understand humour in a second language is one of the most difficult things. And maybe they are right.
But idioms and that stuff is not far away, that's why I am always interesting in the origin story of idioms, atleast the stranger ones.

And of course many people expect to much of themselves. Learning a language needs time and commit mistakes is part of the process. Just keep learning, sooner or later you will understand, what you still don't understand. And more and more mistakes will disappear magically (and new ones will come in in return :D ). Just remember learning a language is not rocket science, if it would be, most of the people who speak natively your target language weren't unable to speak.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

boatswainsmate
United States of America

Post by boatswainsmate »

pawndemic wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:25 pm

@boatswainsmate Despite I have no idea how it is to learn German as a second language, because I learnt it as my first, I can relate to a lot what you have written. I think most of it we can expand to all languages.

Wie man Deutsch lernt is aehnlich als Yoda von Krieg der Sterne spricht. Deine Sprache ist wirklich schwer! Der, Die, Das, Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ, Genitiv... und dann alles zusammen.... Wirklich verwirrend!

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

As a native German I'm used to it, but I struggle to get a grip on Russian. At least I don't need it for a job or have a deadline. I'm fine when I get at an intermediate level.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

boatswainsmate
United States of America

Post by boatswainsmate »

I like German culture a.) because my relatives moved to the US from Germany in the 1840s, so I have a historical connection b.) the German way of thinking is about 90% the same as English speakers, just the languages have diverged, and c.) German news and culture gives me an outside perspective on the world. I like watching the German news since its not riddled with advertisements for products and seems to have less brain-washing propaganda than US news. I get the impression that when Germans want to see the news, that's all they want to see and they take life a bit more seriously. They don't care for all the nonsense that seems to be the norm in American culture ("I've got to be me!") Germans seem to value education, and after listening to speeches by German leaders, they seem to have a deep cultural spirit that seems to be absent in American politicians. Also, since I enjoy reading history, I liked that the Germans were able to stop the Romans from rolling over them the way they did Gaul (France).... seems the highly organized Roman military met their match in the sheer brute spirit of the German people, and that is commendable :) Germany has had some rough periods in history, but I think its brightest days are yet to come....

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

I have no idea how it is to learn German as a second language

I can offer my perspective on learning it as a third language. I can draw on both English (as expected) and surprisingly also Italian to make sense of German, so to speak.
Cases and declensions were already familiar notions to me, since I studied Latin in school. Italian is also a gendered language (granted, it doesn't feature the neuter), and to my surprise, a good deal of masculine and feminine nouns (at least those I've encounterd on Duo) match in both languages.
The real issue is the declension of adjectives, as far as morphology goes. When they are predicative they are easy: plain, not declined at all; but when they are attributive, you have a good three patterns to memorise: strong, weak and mixed.

Some other observations off the top of my head in no particular order:
Reflexive verbs and impersonal forms seem to be as common as they are in Italian. Likewise, du vs Sie is not an issue for me.
Separable verbs resemble English phrasal verbs in notion. The future and conditional tenses are constructed like in English, with auxiliary verbs.
Both English and German feature strict word orders, SVOMPT in the former and TeKaMoLo (in addition to V2, of course; not to mention also subordinate clauses and modal verbs) in the latter.
The possessive adjective concord combines the agreement in gender with both the possessor (case of English) and the possessed thing (Italian).
In English you "like something", in Italian "something is pleasing to someone" (or rather, often it's 'to someone is-pleasing something' word for word); German has both constructions (ich mag etwas, mir gefällt etwas)

edit: typo

Last edited by Sofia222677 on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

boatswainsmate
United States of America

Post by boatswainsmate »

Thanks for TeKaMoLo.... i just looked that up and added it to my list of things to memorize.....

Sofia222677 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:48 pm

I have no idea how it is to learn German as a second language

Both English and German feature strict word orders, SVOMPT in the former and TeKaMoLo (in addition to V2, of course; not to mention also subordinate clauses and modal verbs) in the latter.

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrmsnicket
United States of America

Post by wrmsnicket »

I’ll always recommend dw.com/learngerman

It has real people speaking fluent German in a very natural way while also conveying German culture and telling a compelling story. There isn’t really a way to practice the exercises besides going through the lessons again, but it’s a fantastic and free supplemental resource for when you want to try putting what you’ve learned into practice, as the lessons include call and response exercises instead of only translations.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Hi @wrmsnicket : a list of useful resources can also be found here: viewtopic.php?t=10115-free-and-paid-res ... -to-german

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “German”