Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Your languages

Deleted User 1414

Re: Your languages

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I live in an area where there are many Vietnamese, so I'm studying Vietnamese.

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Post by Anitarrc »

🇳🇱🇦🇺🇩🇪🇨🇵🇨🇷🇧🇷🇷🇺🇱🇺

Grew up with Dutch and Polish /German (mother)
Moved around a bit.
As an adult I lived 8 years in Germany 2 in Australia 7 in Belgium 7 in Costa Rica 2 in Luxembourg and 15 years in total in France. I am most comfortable speaking French Spanish and English.

Now I work as a technical translator in Luxembourg for another 2 years and 11 months till retirement
That required seriously upgrading my Portuguese and Russian.
Hence I was seriously p....d of with leagues instead of interaction in the clubs. The snake 🐍 made me install a hacked app for the first time in my life, because I need my tree with grammar !

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

*Italian : My family is from there and I grew up with them speaking it to me.
*French : target…I , too got the Duolingo app to learn French.
My family speaks it , not often , but a lot are fluent in it. One of my absolute favorite languages.
*Japanese : I have wanted to learn this since I was a kid. Just fascinated with their culture.
Seen a lot of movies with subtitles. :) Everything about Japan is simply beautiful to me.
*Greek : Went to a Greek school and wanted to relearn it.
*Spanish : Also , went to a Spanish school and wanted to relearn.
*Portuguese : Found I loved this when I added to my other courses.
*German : I know people who have visited there and told me it’s a wonderful country. Great food !:) Grandfather was fluent ( From Yugoslavia)
*Ukrainian: I dropped Russian many months ago . Was too hard with Greek and Japanese. Picked up Ukrainian recently and am a tad obsessed!
Latin : Slow going . Family knows it.
Dabbling in :
Polish -( recommended by two lovely people here !) 🙂, *Dutch, Navajo ,Romanian ( Have a book that I am studying with ) Slowly with these ….
Every time I pick up a new language , I fall in love with it.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Meli578588 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:16 pm

Every time I pick up a new language , I fall in love with it.

Me too. Yet it is dangerous, because there is no end to it. A few years back I spent some time on an assignment in Saudi Arabia. A good opportunity to learn Arabic, I thought. However, many people I worked with were either from Pakistan or India. I noticed that they used Urdu-Hindi to communicate. That got me interested in Hindi. Yet none of these people were native speakers: the Pakistanis were either from Punjab or other places - Urdu was just a second language for them. Workers from India spoke either Malayalam or Telugu as their mother tongue. That got me intereseted in Dravidian languages. Fascinating, each having their own alphabet, difficult pronunciation, noun declension with eight cases... But I also dealt with truck drivers. Many were from the Philippines and spoke Tagalog. Yet Tagalog was often only a second language for them... The red alarm light started flashing in my head. That was too much :shock: A friend of mine (Malayalam speaker) told me anyway: forget everything. Just learn Sanskrit, mother of all languages.

Pinta
United States of America

Post by Pinta »

Korean: It wasn't my choice.

English: Wasn't my choice either, I learned English because it was an universal language. Fortunately, I ended up liking it more than my native language.

Russian: I don't know why but I just felt like I want to learn it. And I love Cyrillic alphabets too.

Native 🇰🇷 Fluent 🇺🇸 Learning 🇷🇺 & 🇪🇸

Return to “Discussions”