Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

why no mutation on game/match

PT7
Canada

why no mutation on game/match

Post by PT7 »

I came across the phrase y gêm fawr , the big game/match and noted the mutation on mawr to fawr which told me that the noun game is feminine. I'm wondering why there is no mutation on gêm in y gêm. Does gêm resist mutation because êm is awkward or is game considered a plural noun or ...? thanks.

01tmJ8kb

Re: why no mutation on game/match

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

I think it may be because gêm is a word borrowed from English rather than being a genuine Welsh word. Gôl is also feminine and seems to behave similarly.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

PT7
Canada

Post by PT7 »

Ah, that makes sense - thanks. I'm sure there is a way to thank you without writing a reply but I don't know how!

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

PT7 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:38 pm

I'm sure there is a way to thank you without writing a reply but I don't know how!

If you see a "thumb up" symbol by the post you can click on that if you ever want to thank the writer.

thumb.jpg
thumb.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 261 times

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Return to “Welsh”