Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Silent readers

Corinnebelle

Silent readers

Post by Corinnebelle »

While this forum seems to be pretty slow, I notice that there appears to be quite a few reads on topics, which seem to indicate a large number of silent readers. I notice we do have quite a few guests on here from time to time. I understand this was also the case on DL, there were those that read a lot of stuff and didn't comment often. Those reads tell us that Duome may be more valuable to the world than it appears to be.

I wonder is there a way to tell how many guest there are each day, just out of curiosity? Or how many reads total the site gained over time?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

pawndemic
Germany

Re: Silent readers

Post by pawndemic »

You can see this on the footer of the forum "Who is online" or something like this. At the moment there are 10 guests.

or with more details
viewonline.php

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

bar999
Poland

Post by bar999 »

I'm an example of a silent reader. I don't comment or create a new post too often, unless I've got a question, however, I try to read everything that interests me.

Native 🇵🇱 | B2 🇬🇧 | A2+ 🇪🇸 | A1 🇳🇱 🇩🇪

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Unlike some other forums, one does not need to register in order to read.
Registered readers may not log on and therefore also appear as 'guest'.
Moreover, a silent majority of registered readers have never posted anything (over 70% when I look at the member list now, sorted by number of messages).

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

SweNedGuy wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:05 pm

Unlike some other forums, one does not need to register in order to read.
Registered readers may not log on and therefore also appear as 'guest'.
Moreover, a silent majority of registered readers have never posted anything (over 70% when I look at the member list now, sorted by number of messages).

viewtopic.php?p=12012-welcome-to-duome-forums#p12012

25% active (1/4) from all registered users is not bad at all ;-)
And it's a stable ratio, measured 1 and 2 months after the start of duome forums.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I was one of those silent readers , until I joined. 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

pawndemic wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:53 am

You can see this on the footer of the forum "Who is online" or something like this. At the moment there are 10 guests.

or with more details
viewonline.php

That is a very revealing page.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

and it refreshes automatically every 60 seconds... so no need to wear out that F5 key ;-)

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I wonder if we will achieve more members than Duo. As I saw it, I think the announcement of the forum closing had about 6,000+ downvotes. So maybe ten thousand members total? I didn't downvote, thought about it, but I was thankful for the announcement, even though I was disappointed the forum was closing.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:58 am

I wonder if we will achieve more members than Duo. As I saw it, I think the announcement of the forum closing had about 6,000+ downvotes. So maybe ten thousand members total? I didn't downvote, thought about it, but I was thankful for the announcement, even though I was disappointed the forum was closing.

This DuoMe won't ever come near the number of Duo forum users, but this is perhaps a good thing. This forum won't probably ever get cluttered with any comparable number of nonsensical messages either. I hope dedicated learners will keep posting, whether they still use Duolingo or any other platform.

After the DL forum close-down, the diaspora over different platforms is complete. Some will persist while others may be abandoned. Silent readers only will return while they find useful content.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] I think it depends on our mission and whether we open up DM to other things like programming, or if we have people volunteering to teach languages here DL doesn't have. There are exciting possibilities.

Return to “Random Thoughts”