Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Why is 'ikke' sometimes at the end of a sentence?

Moderator: SansEspoir

ChiChi

Why is 'ikke' sometimes at the end of a sentence?

Post by ChiChi »

I'm a bit confused with this part of Norwegian grammar. For example, if the sentence was 'I do not at cake,' it would just be 'Jeg spiser ikke kake,' right? But then why is 'I don't like it' not 'Jeg liker ikke det,' but 'Jeg liker det ikke?" Why is the negation word "ikke" moved to the end?

Native in: 🇺🇸 🇨🇳 | Learning: 🇳🇴

liv
Norway

Re: Why is 'ikke' sometimes at the end of a sentence?

Post by liv »

This is a grammar rule in Norwegian. In Norwegian we do not like to end a sentence on a unstressed pronoun. In a short sentence with ikke where the object is a non emphasized pronoun (like det) we prefer to end the sentence on ikke rather than the pronoun. So we may say... Han fant den ikke. Jeg kjenner ham ikke.

ChiChi

Post by ChiChi »

Takk! So does that man "Jeg spiser ikke det" instead of "kake" would be incorrect, and it would have to be "Jeg spiser det ikke?" Essentially, unless it's a pronoun that is not emphasized, ikke comes after, but if it's say a noun (like kake), you put the ikke before?

Olav
Norway

Post by Olav »

Oh no, "Jeg spiser ikke det" is quite as correct as "Jeg spiser det ikke".
If you say "Jeg spiser ikke det", you emphasize "det".
If you say "Jeg spiser det ikke ", you express a slight disgust.

ChiChi

Post by ChiChi »

Olav wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:48 pm

Oh no, "Jeg spiser ikke det" is quite as correct as "Jeg spiser det ikke".
If you say "Jeg spiser ikke det", you emphasize "det".
If you say "Jeg spiser det ikke ", you express a slight disgust.

Oh, I see! So basically, it's like saying I do not eat IT and I do NOT eat it. Takk!

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”