Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

duolingo -> duome

The Duome Team uses this forum to announce new features, new forums or forum structure changes, developments going on, and other matters you should be aware of.

__CF__
Norway

duolingo -> duome

Post by __CF__ »

Bit by bit, Duolingo functionality is moving from duolingo to duome.

1. User scores

2. Forums

Maybe the Green Owl itself will be found on duome at some point in the future as well, instead of on duolingo?

Thanks for offering this forum.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: duolingo -> duome

Post by Basler Biker »

__CF__ wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:37 pm

Bit by bit, Duolingo functionality is moving from duolingo to duome.

1. User scores

2. Forums

Maybe the Green Owl itself will be found on duome at some point in the future as well, instead of on duolingo?

Thanks for offering this forum.

Welcome. Well, we have the green DUOME owl already.
And Duolingo people should be working right now on more and better courses, and correct content,

We are doing a number of things quite the opposite of what Duolingo did (and everyone there complained about)

• with the help of our members DaKanga, Hubone.stream, and all 20 members of the Admin and Moderator team, we were able - in only a months time - to save all most important parts of the former Duolingo forum. ... whereas for Duolingo THAT was of no importance whatsoever.

Also:

• we have no downvoting - only the THANKS button
  • as a result, replies, sharing opinions, and corrections are welcome, but always with your name and a reason/explanation/justification

As a result:

• interesting posts don't get lost
  • full advanced search, showing all results (Duolingo would limit the result list to max. 20 items)
  • the use of TAGS to identify the "contents" of topics and posts
  • our system runs on phpBB based proven technology, fast and reliable
    - PM's "Private Messaging) !!
  • mChat room
  • multimedia attachments[/color]
  • etc

Also:
Much content that was privately saved by members of the former Duolingo forum, as a backup, is being shared here.
And much of it was shared after cleansing. Taking out the irrelevant parts, such as endless discussions. Just keeping the bare useful stuff and post it here.

Amongst our members are many famous contributors from major former Duolingo forums, such as English, Spanish, French, Potugese, German, a.o. ... Those members had an established good reputation. Always clear in their answers and replies, always polite and on topic. We are very glad to have them here on board, as they will undoubtedly "set the tone" for the whole forum. We want to have/offer very language (and culture) focused content, with clear answers, links to existing and today relevant resources on the internet, and no endless discussions (where possible ;-) )

But to keep it all running and interesting for the real language learners, we need good and decent content. And so The Moderator Team will have a real good watch on what comes in, and whether it fits our aims.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

__CF__
Norway

Post by __CF__ »

Excellent work, thanks for the explanation!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Here he is! ![Duo15](https://imgur.com/E8i3MSF.png)

Welcome!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

whereas for Duolingo THAT was of no importance whatsoever. .... by our brilliant Basler Biker,

I, daKanga, hate to imagine the state we would be in without our BB !! I can not thank them enough !

From the little I know, and the little I saw, and also what I know of Duolingo staff, I would suggest it is far more complex and nuanced than that.

Though I can not talk for the ultimate decision makers at Duolingo, nor can I answer to my satisfaction as to WHY they made that decisions to close the forums. Only that they choose to do it to allow edit access up to "the last minute" by what was said from various sources.

I still do not understand why it could not have remained up longer in read only access.

Though I do consider we should cut Duolingo some slack on this. For the benefit also of our future. I do not mean the future of forum.duome.eu. I mean the future of wider and real goals for us as humanity.

• edited: I do though hope on hope that this forum of duome.eu, as well as the discord forum, that we all remain up. And more than that, that we continue to be a VIBRANT community of people that share and support others. Even spread across multiple platforms (across LOTS of coffee shops ;P ☕ ). Where questions are asked and sharing happens, and people support others with answers, kindness and in celebration of diversity. ![Duo22](https://imgur.com/kh2XXFi.png) Including celebration of different ways to explain things. That we become a wealthy tapestry of inspirational texture, color and inclusion. With the universe of (y)our diversity as an essential part of the wealth of (y)our tapestry 🌌, and that this continues to evolve to be a home for us all to share 🏠

From the little I know, this decision by management at Duolingo was immensely unpopular by many staff at Duolingo, as well as some very key staff. They do understand how important that forum was for learning. Including for motivation and engagement of learners. And also even used occasionally by teachers for motivation and engagement for their students.

I would put my money on something way behind the scenes that caused this to happen.
And also go further to accept that I may never know what the true causes that made management of Duolingo to make this call.

A call I greatly grieve.

So, to move on, I expect it was some very critical reasons why they have done this in such a way that I consider was so disastrous.
Best not cry now over spilt milk.
We have more important things to do, including making the resources here really sparkle.
And to help people find them, and to create NEW and ENGAGING resources, that others can find interesting and beneficial, and be part of building as well.

Samara858057
United States of America

Post by Samara858057 »

Happy to have found duome via a reddit post. I was just trying to find my currently learned words so I can put them in some flashcards and study/practice them. Here I am now, and there is so much more! Again, much thanks!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Samara858057[/mention] Welcome! I hope you enjoy the community! What languages are you studying?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Samara858057
United States of America

Post by Samara858057 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:34 pm

@Samara858057 Welcome! I hope you enjoy the community! What languages are you studying?

Thanks! Happy to be here! I'm currently studying German, but I was studying French last year(I'll get back to it later). You?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Samara858057[/mention] Hebrew for me.

Samara858057
United States of America

Post by Samara858057 »

@corinnebelle that's awesome. Best of luck. I'd love to learn Hebrew at some point also!

Return to “Announcements by Duome”