Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Sju or syv?

Moderator: SansEspoir

verdensrommet
United States of America

Sju or syv?

Post by verdensrommet »

Which one do you use, and when (if applicable)?

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

ChiChi

Re: Sju or syv?

Post by ChiChi »

Hiya, Alex here. Just a disclaimer: I'm just a newbie in Norwegian, and I'm also just learning it. What I heard from native speakers is that both "sju" and "syv" are correct depending on your dialect, but "sju" is much more common. I think it's just different ways to say the same thing, and just to be aware in case someone says "syv."

Native in: 🇺🇸 🇨🇳 | Learning: 🇳🇴

anamorphism

Post by anamorphism »

just pick one and stick to it.

syv would be the more danish influenced spelling/pronunciation i believe. i read with an oslo native that says syv when reading.

you'll see a few y(v)/ju swaps, with the y(v) spelling typically only allowed in bokmål and the ju spelling generally accepted in both bokmål and nynorsk. tykk/tjukk, tyv/tjuv and syk/sjuk off the top of my head.

another example is the danish tyve for tjue which some folks use but that appears to not actually be allowed in bokmål.

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

Is that like hvad or hva ? I notice that Duolingo uses Hva (so far).

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Olav
Norway

Post by Olav »

"Hvad" is not a norwegian word (anymore). "Syv" have I, for one, never said.

Ace1
Norway

Post by Ace1 »

You can use both. Some would say that syv in more formal, but that is not true. You will probably find more use of syv in the upper class. You have the same thing with tyve og tjue.

Some write syv and say sju. It is a lot of that in Norway. Another example of that is writing boken and saying boka.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Ace1 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:00 am

Some write syv and say sju. It is a lot of that in Norway. Another example of that is writing boken and saying boka.

Yes, I do that. I write much more formally than I speak. Partly because I find it a lot easier to read formal norwegian, but also because I had an older teacher in Grade School, and she was very strict on using formal language when we wrote anything, as that's what she was taught herself. So it just kind of stuck that way for me.
She only corrected our speech when we tried to do like the Oslo-kids and say "schøpe" instead of "kjøpe" though. And boy, am I glad she did :lol:

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”