Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] FAQs and FYIs

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] FAQs and FYIs

Post by Jacko079 »

This was originally posted by machieng

https://archive.ph/ZahR4

Habari zenu?

I just wanted to clarify something that comes up on occasion in the discussions.

Number 1:You will often see that when translating "yeye" to English, "he" is the default translation. This is in no way due to intentional bias, it simply depends on what is typed first.
Yeye ni mhalifu hatari

• He is a dangerous criminal (1)
  • She is a dangerous criminal (2)

Duolingo input: [He/She] is a dangerous criminal
Duolingo interprets this as (1) being the default (and most correct) answer. If you input (2), it will still mark it correct, and show you (1) as an alternative answer. If [She/He] is the Duolingo input instead, it would interpret "She" as the most correct answer.
I will make a conscious effort to mix it up with future sentences, but majority of the sentences are already in this format, and rest assured, it's nothing nefarious :)

Number 2: For glitches with Duolingo (app or browser), please visit this link. Sadly, I know nothing about programming
My request to you is: when it comes to audio issues, if you're hearing the wrong audio, please open a discussion to let us know rather than reporting it; it's the quickest way for us to fix it!

Number 3: please please go over 1)Tips and Notes of each lesson, and 2) the Swahili Masterpost. Most of the noun class concepts are addressed there, among other things. This post is where you can suggest concepts not covered in the Notes that you'd like more clarification on. I am aware these notes are not available on the app (you can still access them on a mobile or desktop browser), but as I mentioned in Number 2, this is outside my wheelhouse, and you are more likely to get results posting it in the general Duolingo forum, and getting other Duo users involved.

Number 4: each sentence in each lesson along with all their possible translations must be entered manually. Typically both British and American English words and spellings are taken into consideration, but for efficiency's sake, slang is not included for possible translations, so kindly stick to conventional English grammar. Also, sometimes it's just an error that a correct translation was not included. Please just open a discussion and let us know, I will see it and add it (or provide you with an explanation if it doesn't apply)

Number 5: if there's anything that comes up, such as disagreement with the translation given, or you feel that your translation is correct, feel free to open a discussion (that's what they're for! And they're fairly regularly monitored), but please be sure to point out what the problem is! 'This is stupid' or comments of that nature are not terribly helpful. We want to improve on the course and so constructive criticism is always welcome

Number 6: if you're looking for one, one English-Swahili translation website that I think is pretty accurate like 95% of the time is Glosbe
if you have questions/suggestions/concerns/comments about lessons (in a more general sense: structure, grammar, stuff like that), please drop them down here. As always, please be civil :)

Happy learning!

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Svea
Germany

Re: [ARCHIVE] FAQs and FYIs - Tips and Notes

Post by Svea »

The learning "tree" changed to a learning " path" recently.
Number 3 of machieng's original post mentioned tips and notes (lesson structure as for the previous learning "tree"), which I consider quite helpful, independent of a "tree" or " path" structure.
It can still be found here: https://duome.eu/tips/en/sw

Return to “Swahili”