Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo voices reminding me a bit of different Celtic accents?

Moderator: SansEspoir

Oliver
Australia

Duolingo voices reminding me a bit of different Celtic accents?

Post by Oliver »

I just started Norwegian, and was wondering if the audio samples' accents sometimes sounded a bit Scottish, Irish or Welsh to anyone else? And with a range of variety in each (eg different voices being a bit closer to different regional Scottish accents). I just did German, so hearing a similar language family with a very different accent might just be throwing me, but I was wondering if there was a link between the accents through Old Norse? (eg some of the areas having a Norse-Gael Viking history)

🇮🇳 25 Image 25 🇯🇵 25 🇪🇸 25 🇰🇷 25 🇩🇪 25 🇫🇷 22 🇷🇺 20 🇬🇷 20 🇹🇿 18 Image 17 🇮🇹 17 🇮🇩 14 🇨🇳 14 🇺🇦 12 🇳🇴 11

ross.h
Norway

Re: Duolingo voices reminding me a bit of different Celtic accents?

Post by ross.h »

The Celtic languages are on a completely different branch of the Indo-European tree, but Scots has a fair bit of lexical influence from Old Norse for historical reasons (Vikings, Dane Law, etc.).

Just a few examples:
-Barn (child in both No. and Scots),
-Scots reek "Smoke" vs. No. røyk, (ON reykr). You see it in phrases like "Lang may yer lum reek" (Long may your chimney smoke), or "Auld Reekie" (Old Smokey, name for Edinburgh).
-Any town with a name ending in -by was probably a Norse settlement. CF No. by "city," ON býr, "settlement"

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”