Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Lighting round speeds

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

sheafferlynn
United States of America

Lighting round speeds

Post by sheafferlynn »

I am in the diamond league of Duolingo for Italian. At age 70, it is impossible to comple the lighting round in the amount of time given. I have tried repeatedly. 70 year olds do not process info or type nearly as fast as 20 or 30 somethings. Some concessions should be made based on age. We should not have to buy extra time... just my thoughts ...

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Re: Lighting round speeds

Post by SweNedGuy »

In any league, you don't compete against other learners of the same language, nor using the same platform. Those speed games on the app hardly contribute to your command of Italian. Nearing retirement, I can't type as fast as I think either, not even using the DL website version. Perhaps it's worth considering setting your profile to private after the leagues close on Sunday. Whenever you switch to public again some-when later in the week, you will be competing against repetitive streak breakers. Tre lezioni al giorno dovrebbero essere sufficienti per tenerti nella lega dei diamanti.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I never really enjoyed "timed practice" or its later replacements, the lightning round and ramp up challenges. Nevertheless I forced myself to do some every now and then, because I think they do have a benefit: you get used to producing something in the foreign language under stress (or maybe learn to feel less stressed when the clock is ticking).

Later, I found a replacement I'm happier with: usually I learn at my normal speed, reflecting things that puzzle me, reading sentence discussions, consulting other resources if needed.

But after leveling up, I use the 15 minutes of double xp to do as many lessons as I can. This
is my own personal "timed practice".

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Nightfly777
Germany

Post by Nightfly777 »

Do somebody know what the conditions are to join the Lightning Round? Do I need to have a certain amount of XP, Crowns, Lessons or something else?

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

sheafferlynn wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:39 pm

I am in the diamond league of Duolingo for Italian. At age 70, it is impossible to comple the lighting round in the amount of time given. I have tried repeatedly. 70 year olds do not process info or type nearly as fast as 20 or 30 somethings. Some concessions should be made based on age. We should not have to buy extra time... just my thoughts ...

...but than everyone would say that he/she is older than 70...

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I have the feeling that half a year ago I didn't have to write such endlessly long sentences in the lightning round.
That's why I had problems last time.

Actually, I don't think these exercises are so bad.
In real life, you also have to react quickly in a foreign language - fortunately not in writing and usually without a point deduction for mistakes. My interlocutors were mostly merciful

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

sheafferlynn wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:39 pm

The only person you are competing against is yourself. I have no doubt at all that your command of Italian would be more use to you than my faster speed. Don't stress yourself over it.
I'm sixty five and the only reason I practice languages is to keep the grey matter working. I could go to learn Pi to a thousand places but this is more fun.

Another app you should look at is Drops. I do short sessions on that whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

Enjoy..

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Return to “Duolingo”