Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Another Yiddish story from my collection of original Yiddish writing - 3

OtAzoy
United States of America

Another Yiddish story from my collection of original Yiddish writing - 3

Post by OtAzoy »

I use sentences from the Yiddish exercises in Duolingo as prompts and create original Yiddish stories that would give the sentences a context. One such sentence is: אַ גוטע נאַכט, קעץ מײַנע - "Good night, cats of mine!"

(corrections accepted)

(translation below)

אַ גוטע נאַכט, קעץ מײַנע! שלאָפֿט געזונט! זיסע חלומות, מײַנע קעצעלע⁠ך!“

איך האָב ליב אַלע מײַנע קעצ. פֿאַרשטײסט, איך האָב שױן פֿערצן קעץ.

ערשט האָב איך געהאַט אײן פּאָר באַליבטע קעץ, און די מאַמע האָט געבױרן עטלעכע קעצעלעך, און דערנאָך זענען געװען אַלץ מער און מער קעצעלעך און איצטער האָב איך פֿערצן טײַערע קעץ.

זײ זענען מײַן משפּחה.

אַלע קעץ האָבן נעמען פֿונעם אַלף־בית׃ דער טאַטע הײסט ”אלף,” די מאַמע הײסט ”בית,” און אַזױ װײַטער, און אױף דער לעצט, דער מיזיניק הײסט ”מעם.

איך דערקען יעדער קאַץ און איך רוף זײ מיטן נאָמען.

דער טאַטע האָט אַ זײער אַן אינטערעסאַנטען פּנים; אײן זײַט איז שװאַרץ און אײַן זײַט איז װײַס; אײן אױג ליגט אין דער שװאַרצע זײַט און דער אַנדערע ליגט אין דער װײַסע זײַט.

עס איז זײער גרינג אים צו דערזען אינעם גרופּע פֿון שפּילעװדיקע קעץ.

די מאַמע איז גאָר שװאַרץ איבעראָל דעם גאַנצען גוף, און אײנער פֿון די קינדער -- “גימל” -- האָט שפּרענקלען פֿון שװאַרץ, װײַס און אָראַנזש.

צװײ אַנדערע קעץ --”חעס” און ”טעס” -- האָבן פּונקט די זעלבע מוסטער פֿון די קאָלירן אױף זײערע גופֿים אָבער ”טעס“ האָט אַ װײַסן שטערן פּונקט אין מיטן שטערן.

און דער מיזיניק, “מעם,” איז גאָר װײַס איבעראָל דעם גאַנצען גוף.

איך האָב הנאה פֿון קוקן אָנ אַזױ װי זײ לױפֿן און שפּילן זיך צוזאַמען מיט אַ באַלעם אָדער אַ שטיקל שטריקל.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Good night, cats of mine!”

Good night, cats of mine! Sleep well! Sweet dreams, my kittens!” I love all of my cats. Understand, I already have fourteen cats. First I had a pair of beloved cats, and the mother gave birth to several kittens, and then there were more and more kittens, and now I have fourteen dear cats. They are my family. All the cats have names from the alphabet: The daddy is called “Alef”, the mommy is called “Beis”, and so forth, and the last one, the baby of the family, is called “Mem”. I recognize every cat, and I call them by name.

The daddy has a very interesting face; one side is black and one side is white; one eye is situated on the black side and the other is on the white side. It is very easy to recognize him in the group of frolicking cats. The mommy is totally black over her entire body, and one of the offspring (“Gimel”) has patches of black, white and orange. Two other cats (“Khes” and “Tes”) have exactly the same pattern of colors on their bodies, but “Tes” has a white star right in the middle of her forehead
(אַ שטערן אין מיטן שטערן). And the youngest one, “Mem”, is totally white over his entire body. I enjoy looking on as they run and play together with a ball or a little piece of string (שטיקל שטריקל).

. . . and a bit of clipart to go along with the story!

![000-aaacat2.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/qBwb6msD/000-aaacat2.jpg)

Return to “Yiddish”