Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Another Yiddish story from my collection of original Yiddish writing - 2

OtAzoy
United States of America

Another Yiddish story from my collection of original Yiddish writing - 2

Post by OtAzoy »

I use sentences from the Yiddish exercises in Duolingo as prompts and create original Yiddish stories that would give these sentences a context. One such sentence is:

דו וועסט זיך צוגעװױנען צו דער קאַץ
"You will get used to the cat."

(corrections accepted)

(translation below)

איך האָב אַ טײַערן חבֿר און איך האָב אים ליב, אָבער עס איז זײער שװער צו זײַן בײַ אים אַ גאַסט.

פֿאַרשטײסט, ער האָט אַ קאַץ װאָס פֿאַר אים איז כּמעט די גאַנצע װעלט.

זי גײט אומעטום מיט אים אין שטוב, אפֿילו צום װאַשצימער, און זי האָט אים אַרומגעװיקלעט אַרום דעם פֿינגער.

זי גיט אַ מיאַו און ער קומט גלײַך אױפֿן אָרט.

”איז עפּעס דער מער, מײַן בובעלע? װאָס װילסטו, מײַן שײנקײט?

דעם אמת געזאָגט, ס׳איז חלשותדיק צו הערן.

און בעסער װי דאָס, די קאַץ האָט מיר פֿײַנט; זי קען מיר נישט פֿאַרטראָגן!

װי קען איך דאָס װיסן? װען די קאַץ זעט מיר, זי קוקט מיר אָן מיט אַ בײזן, ברוגזן בליק, צישעט אױף מיר און לױפֿט באַלד אַװעק אונטערן בעט.

--יאָ, די קאַץ איז אַ שטיקל רשע--

צום ערשטן מאָל װאָס עס האָט געשען, בין איך געװאָרן דערשראָקן פֿון דאָס און איך האָב געגעבן אַ ביסל אַ געשרײ.

איך האָב זיך פֿאַרשעמט אָבער מײַן חבֿר האָט זיך אױסגעלאַכט פֿון דאָס און האָט געזאָגט, ”אױ, ס׳איז גאָרנישט! מײַן קעצעלע װעט זיך צוגעװױנען צו דיר און דו וועסט זיך צוגעװױנען צו דער קאַץ.”

אָבער איך װײס מיטן גאַנצן האַרצן אַז איך װעט זיך קײנמאָל נישט צוגעװױנען צו דער קאַץ.

זי האָט מיר פֿײַנט און זי איז אַ נישט־⁠גוטע, אַ טײַװל!

מײַן חבֿר האָט אַ נײַע געליבטע און זי איז אַ קאַץ, אַ קאַץ פֿון גיהנום!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“You will get used to the cat.”

I have a dear friend, and I really like him, but it is very hard to go and visit him. You see, he has a cat that is, for him, almost his entire world. She follows him everywhere at home, even to the bathroom, and she has him wrapped around her little finger. She gives a little “meow”, and he immediately comes running. “Is something the matter, my bubeleh? What do you want, baby?” The truth is, it’s disgusting to hear it. And to top it off, the cat hates me; she can’t stand me! How do I know this? When the cat sees me, she gives me a menacing angry look, hisses at me and immediately runs under the bed. (Yes, the cat has a mean streak!) The first time that it happened, I got frightened, and I gave a bit of a shriek. I got embarrassed, but my friend laughed it off and said, “Oy, it’s nothing! My cat will get used to you, and you will get used to the cat!” But I know deep in my heart that I will never get used to the cat. She hates me, and she is a demon, a devil! My friend has a new beloved and she is a cat, a cat from the Underworld!

(. . . and a bit of clipart to go along with the story!)

![000-aaacat.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/hj5y4ZYd/000-aaacat.jpg)

Return to “Yiddish”