Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Difference between seyahat and yolculuk

MarjanZahedi

Difference between seyahat and yolculuk

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Could someone please explain what is the difference between seyahat and yolculuk. Also for traveling when you use yolculuk yapmak and when you use seyahat etmek

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Re: Difference between seyahat and yolculuk

Post by Danika_Dakika »

I expect there is nearly no difference, and they both mean "journey, trip, travel, voyage." Since most online dictionaries do not distinguish between them, we have to go to the source.

• TDK defines "yolculuk" as -- "Ülkeden ülkeye veya bir ülke içinde bir yerden bir yere gidiş veya geliş" [going or coming from country to country or from place to place inside a country] -- but it also adds an additional definition of "seyahat."
  • TDK defines "seyahat" as -- "yolculuk"... that's it, that's the whole definition!
  • (They also both mean "gezi.")

Score 1 point for THE SAME. The only thing that causes them to stand apart for me is that if I wanted to say something poetic about a "journey" or use the mass-noun "travel" -- I might choose "yolculuk" instead of "seyahat." But I cannot tell you whether a native speaker would make the same choice!

For the verbs -- I suspect that the course is so particular that "yolculuk" belongs with "yapmak" (and not "etmek") because that is how native speakers use the term. It is not a compound verb that has a separate definition, but it seems to carry that poetic sense of "making a journey."

The TDK-listed verbs for each word are not so fancy. "Yolculuk etmek" means -- "bir yerden başka bir yere gitmek" [to go from one place to another place]. "Seyahat etmek" means -- "uzak yerleri gezerek görmek" [to tour and see distant places] -- and also means "yolculuk etmek"!

All of that tells me you should feel comfortable using either noun and either verb!

-Danika_Dakika

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you so much Danika-Dakika. I’ve had the same understanding and in my practice, I tried to mix match them both, but I think duolingo didn’t like it.
Where are you traveling? Duo said: yolculuk nerede? Can I say seyahat nerede?
I’m going to take a nice trip. Duo said: guzel bir yolculuga cikiyorum. Can I say: guzel bir seyahata cikiyorum?
Duo seyahatte. Can I say: Duo yolculukta?

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

Where are you traveling? Duo said: yolculuk nerede? Can I say seyahat nerede?

You would be understood saying either one, but you need "nereYE" -- dative case, not locative. I believe this is idiomatic though (notice that it doesn't have a verb or a person), so it might "sound wrong" if you don't use "yolculuk." (See also: my preference for using "yolculuk" for "travel.")

I’m going to take a nice trip. Duo said: guzel bir yolculuga cikiyorum. Can I say: guzel bir seyahata cikiyorum?

Those both seem fine, but "seyahat" is funny about vowel harmony -- it would be "seyahatE."

Duo seyahatte. Can I say: Duo yolculukta?

Those both seem fine.
See a better answer below!

Do you want to know the easiest way to find a particular sentence discussion? Even though you cannot post in them, it can be useful to read a few together when you're trying to answer bigger questions.

You can limit your Google search to just the subdomain where the discussions live, and you'll almost always find them. You can search for a few words, or for the exact sentence in quotes, if you know it. If you are searching for the English sentence, you should add "turkish" as a search term, since many courses have similar sentences. (That might stop helping though, because the discussion page no longer displays the name of the forum.)

Code: Select all

some words sentence turkish site:forum.duolingo.com

Code: Select all

"this is exactly the sentence that is in the course" turkish site:forum.duolingo.com
Last edited by Danika_Dakika on Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Hi Danika,

I agree with all your comments only the last one sounds a bit wierd to me.

"Duo yolculukta" has no common usage, or let's say that I have not seen anyone using it in that way.

Like we say "Ahmet bey nerede? İş seyahatinde." but not "iş yolculuğunda". I can say that yolculuk covers the duration of the way from a to b, but seyahat covers the duratıon of the travel both with the way and the stay and even the return.

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

I’m still confused on where to use them and the difference. For example:
Please travel with passport.
Duolingo marked my answer wrong: lutfen pasaport I’ll yolculuk yap.
The correct answer was: lutfen pasaport ile seyahat et.
How do I know which one to use?

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Hi Marjan, this is me yes :)

Actually there is not much difference between the two.. The answer you gave is also correct but in spoken language. We are all using Yolculuk Yapmak however the correct form is supposed to be Yolculuk Etmek. If Duo still marks it as Wrong, then they have to update their system.

Lütfen pasaportla yolculuk et. (Lütfen pasaportla yolculuk edin. Lütfen pasaportla yolculuk ediniz.)

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you Abdullah, glad to see you again

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Return to “Turkish”