Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Chiliad = thousand (leo.org says so)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Chiliad = thousand (leo.org says so)

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Browsing through the dictionaries I found in leo.org (German -English) as the first offered translation for "tausend" "chiliad", a word I never consciously came accross before (though I have been reading English books at least for the last thirty years).

Other DE-EN dictionaries didn't know this word.

Is it really used anywhere for the number thousand?

I was already asking the www. It offered Mount Chiliad saying it was a Latin word meaning a group of one thousand. But there is no "ch" in latin. As a latin word I would offer "miliarius".

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

g-heike
Germany

Re: Chiliad = thousand (leo.org says so)

Post by g-heike »

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

I always like to ask the language itself, sometimes there are crazy things in the dictionaries :D

Well merriam-webster says it is a group of thousand.

What is the difference between a chiliad and a millennium?

What's the difference between a chiliad and a millennium? Not much: both are a period of 1000 years. While millennium is more widely used, chiliad is actually older. Chiliad first appeared in the late 1500s and was originally used to mean "a group of 1000," as in "a chiliad of arrows"; millennium didn't make its way into written English until some decades later, in the early 1600s. Not surprisingly, both words trace back to roots that mean "thousand." Millennium comes from Latin mille, and chiliad is a descendant of Greek chilioi.

merriam-webster Definition of chiliad

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

So I learned a bit of older English.

I will probably never forget this word again.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Englisch”