Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Dodoa
Austria

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by Dodoa »

I'm thinking about taking a break from Duo as soon as they force the new home screen on me, just take my language learning somewhere else for a few months. I'll probably be back, because I don't like leaving things unfinished, but a few months should be enough for them to notice a drop in their numbers of long-term committed learners if more people do it. That first announcement for the schools said that the change will reach android and the browser version (which are what I'm using) sometime in the summer and I'll lose my streak in the summer anyway, since I'm going on vacation without an internet connection for two weeks then. So either I'll lose it a bit early or I'll lose it when it's still quite short afterwards.
And once I come back I'll probably reduce how much I do, because according to the article one circle in the path = one crown level, so it seems like you have to get a skill to the next crown level all at once before continuing which is much less hover-y than my current method of doing one lesson each for a couple of skills every day. It takes me about five days (in a five lessons per crown level course) to get a skill to the next crown level and a bit under a month to get a new skill to gold, but since I'm doing this 4-6 skills at a time I actually get a skill to gold about every week or so. I tried doing it the way they seem to be pushing now when I first started out, and it really didn't work for me, so I guess I'll have to slow down significantly to accomodate my learning style. And since they won't let you choose what to practice anymore, I'll probably be doing much less practice too, since the we-decide-what-you-need-to-practice algorithm has never given me sentences I actually need to practice so far. That reduction in motivation might also show up in their numbers.

Native: 🇩🇪 C1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷 󠁬

bach
Germany

Post by bach »

If you turn off automatic app updates, Duolingo will notice. You won't get the new interface, and Duolingo won't remove backend support for the old interface until most users have moved to the newer versions of the app.

If the backend is mostly unchanged, this might work for quite a while.

Eventually, because of new users and automatic updates, enough people will be on the new app that Duolingo will feel confident no longer supporting old app versions. But as the old story goes, by then the horse may have learned to sing.

And by then Duolingo will probably be trying yet another interface.

(A man condemned to death gets his execution postponed, by promising to teach the king's horse to sing. The king agrees: if in one year the horse can sing, he'll free the condemned man. Later, a fellow prisoner asks him, how are you going to teach the horse to sing? The condemned man answers: "in a year I might be dead anyway, or the king may be dead -- or maybe the horse will sing!)

So turn off automatic app updates, and only update Duolingo manually if others who do update don't report major undesirable changes.

On Android, keep a copy of the older apk to sideload if the update turns out to be undesirable.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

bach wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 am

Duolingo will notice

And pay as much attention as they did for the forum closure?

Duolingo will handle this as any other change, if the majority of the test pool is happy with the change, they will apply it for everybody.

I'm personnally happy with the proposal, I've tried many variations of the waterfall progression and If Duolingo can provide me a good one so that I can focus on learning rather than finding my path, and decide when to do stories, it will be fine.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

duo
United States of America

Post by duo »

This looks like the Panda Pop game where it has the levels that wrap around like a path. Just another way to game-ify the app.

=

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

If you turn off automatic app updates, Duolingo will notice. You won't get the new interface, and Duolingo won't remove backend support for the old interface until most users have moved to the newer versions of the app.

Eventually, because of new users and automatic updates, enough people will be on the new app that Duolingo will feel confident no longer supporting old app versions. But as the old story goes, by then the horse may have learned to sing.

(A man condemned to death gets his execution postponed, by promising to teach the king's horse to sing. The king agrees: if in one year the horse can sing, he'll free the condemned man. Later, a fellow prisoner asks him, how are you going to teach the horse to sing? The condemned man answers: "in a year I might be dead anyway, or the king may be dead -- or maybe the horse will sing!)

So turn off automatic app updates, and only update Duolingo manually if others who do update don't report major undesirable changes.

On Android, keep a copy of the older apk to sideload if the update turns out to be undesirable.

I'm using an old app version from 2018 (to avoid hearts and cartoons) and it's still working fine so it might take a while for them to stop supporting old app versions (which is a good thing)

Last edited by LICA98 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LongHenry

Post by LongHenry »

i hope this isnt the final version. i hope they take feedback from users

Helge.

Post by Helge. »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:06 pm

I'm personnally happy with the proposal, I've tried many variations of the waterfall progression and If Duolingo can provide me a good one so that I can focus on learning rather than finding my path, and decide when to do stories, it will be fine.

The problem is that duolingo tried giving us the perfect next lesson before, but it never worked well enough.

You can try what a learning path looks like today with Duolingo ABC:
https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1440502568
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... o.literacy
What do you think about it?

learn vocab with/against me on Drops https://invite.languagedrops.com/ZApJ6kbeBuB3kvVy6 lerne Vokabeln mit mir oder gegen mich

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Helge. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 am

The problem is that duolingo tried giving us the perfect next lesson before, but it never worked well enough.

I don't know of any past tentatives. But with the amount of data they have now, they can "see" what are the most successful progressions. Everyone is different but there are some basics of language learning that fit everybody.

How can you be sure that your learning path is optimal? I've tested different progressions and frankly I cannot tell which are the best. You may have a feeling while you're learning but it doesn't guarantee that you'll remember well in the long term.

You can try what a learning path looks like today with Duolingo ABC:
What do you think about it?

Nothing, this product is dedicated to children who do not learn like adults.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:55 am

...Everyone is different but there are some basics of language learning that fit everybody.

I don't know exactly which basics you mean, but for me a key factor is practicing and repetition - and some languages with little or nor resemblance with your "base language" requires, at least for me, far more repetition. Today I can practicing any completed skill I want.
However, according to what I have read about this new path on their own blog there is no possibility to go back and practice what you want - only a way forward. It's seems a little strange to limit the possibility to practicing...
I honestly can't see how this is going to work, except for their biggest courses. (French Spanish and German from English)

I guess I will have to drop several of my smaller languages, if I don't find another app or site...

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Is someone saying you can not repeat things ?

Repetition is very important.

Duolingo has always allowed you re "reset" your progress.
After all - the importance is not your Duolingo accessed progress, but what you have really achieved, and are able to use in other contexts. Especially communizing in the target language.

However if it is a discussion about what Duolingo has decided to do, there is nothing we in this wider general community can do to affect Duolingo.

Be aware though, we are not Duolingo. We are the general public, and Duolingo is a publicly traded company.

Having a good discussion here about the value, as well as the necessity of repeating things is a very good thing to have here.
Perhaps people can share or even better start a new conversation on different styles of repetition you can do to enhance your learning.
And then drop a link into this discussion.

It is also good to discuss other apps / sites that support the learning of other languages.
I also highly recommend to NOT learn a language from one source.
And others in our community appreciate the sharing of resources, and also appreciate if you can expand as to why you find one resource better than another.

Ubermaus
United States of America

Post by Ubermaus »

I just received the home screen update yesterday and it is AWFUL. No way to see what topics you’ve covered or are currently studying, no way to go back and practice specific topics, home screen littered with intrusive animations you can’t turn off … It really has become an edu-game for small children, and of course Duolingo provides no way for users to give feedback. I’ve been submitting error reports through TestFlight, but I have no idea who reviews those or what happens to them. SMDH it’s time to cancel my subscription.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Ubermaus[/mention] I suppose strength is built in? Are you on the web or app?

Edit: Also are lingots still a thing? I know they're basically useless, but still sometimes one uses them to pay for tests out or legendary.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ImportantHunter

Post by ImportantHunter »

Psynatural wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:00 am

Part of me wants to start a petition against this, but Duolingo has a history of not caring when users are upset about changes. It'll take a large drop in their userbase for them to care (and only because of the lost revenue).

This is what I hate about Duolingo. They never listen to us users whenever they make bad, unpopular decisions or changes that worsen the user and learning experience. They never learn from their mistakes.

I really have enough of Duolingo removing every useful feature, adding bad features, and making their platform worse. I have never seen a company with worse customer service other than Duolingo that frequently and continuously alienates and disrespects its users, and ignores any criticism of their bad decisions when people object.

Psynatural

Post by Psynatural »

This is my strategy too. I turned off app updates and I'm going to get as much use as I can out of the old version for as long as possible.

I've been researching methods of transferring that specific version of the app to my computer as a backup. And that way I can transfer it to a new phone if I get one at some point. Hoping that this temporary solution could last for a few months/years. (Has anyone tried this free program before? https://www.imobie.com/apptrans/app-transfer-free.htm )

Once Duolingo stops allowing me to use the old version I'll probably quit. The new version sounds horrendous in multiple ways that would be detrimental to my language learning. Maybe if we're lucky a new app developer will see how unhappy everyone is with the changes to Duolingo and will create a new app similar to the classic Duolingo style while actually LISTENING to what features users want/don't want. Currently, I have yet to see anything else quite like it on the market.

🇺🇲 native / :fr: B2 / :jp: B1 / 🇩🇰 🇨🇳 A2 / 🇨🇿 A1 / 🇮🇪 🇩🇪

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

I’ve been using the new path for about a month now.

A seemingly common misconception in this thread is that you won’t be able to practice the skills you need…

This isn’t the case. You do get your practice:

• looking at my duome stats, in the old tree about 15-18% of my study was counted as practice/stories/checkpoints/other
  • in the new path it is more like 40% that is practice/stories/checkpoints/other
  • practice is woven into every lesson, unit and check point. It is continuous.
  • the AI is responsive to identify what you’re getting wrong, to serve up some more tasks that strengthen that as you go, and marry it with new content.
  • it also uses spaced repetition to bring up content you learned in the past to make sure you remember it
  • you can go back and click on past lessons if you want to do them again. But I don’t know why you would as the AI/spaced repetitions is pretty good
  • if you are on pro there is a practice hub (I am not pro though)
  • website hasn’t moved to new path yet; I think it will continue to have practice option on the web.

I am super impressed with the ai/spaced repetition/ amount I feel like I am learning.

The things I wish they’d improve:

• I preferred to have stories separate so I could do them when I wasn’t feeling like doing a lesson
  • I liked having options to self choose based on my mood and state of mind whether I want to do something easy or am ready to learn something new or want to do the higher level lessons where there is speaking or lower lessons where there isn’t .
  • the path feels unbelievably long and almost inconceivable that I’ll ever finish it. It will take longer than the old tree, as so much more time is spent on practice.
  • The visual design is in my opinion worse than the old: I don’t want animations, I want to have a sense of progress.
  • I’d like the kind of stats and features from duome - % through the course, how many lessons I’m completing per day, week, months, and eta to completion; easy access to dictionary where I can hear a word when I want to, etc
  • the tips/unit guide is ok but not sure as good as the old way. It is impractical for review.
  • I hate that you have to use the double ups immediately when you finish a lesson. It means there are times I put off duolingo because while I could do a lesson in 5 mins, I don’t have 20 mins available to make use of the boost and it feels like a waste if I get it and don’t use it. This was moderated in the old path because using hover method you could get a bunch of skills just up to almost completion, and just get the crown out when you have time for a longer session.
  • I feel like I use duolingo less than before, because I don’t have autonomy over what I am doing in it and therefore opt out more.
  • the ‘skip’ option is too big, I would like a smaller increment so I can cut a few corners when finding it easy but not skip new words or concepts. Would be good to have a “fast track” option that keeps you learning at a faster pace, but can switch to “smell the roses” option on a day when you want to take it a bit slower and do more practice.

I have the path switched on as a choice - tried it as a beta option: so I could switch back if I really wanted.

I stick with it because I think the ai/spaced repetition is better.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Has anyone else here gotten the new path?

As of now, I still have the old one.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Helge.

Post by Helge. »

Jacko079 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:13 am

Has anyone else here gotten the new path?

In the beta version for android I could enable it in settings, but I don't like it. I prefer the flexibility that the tree gives me: If I hunt for XP and want some lessons that are not too difficult, I do the XP Ramp Up Challenge. This way I also get the repetition of content that I have learned in the past. For normal learning, I just do normal lessons in the French for English tree: at the moment I try to bring the remaining 12 skills of Unit 5 to gold level.
Whenever I have time and get a 2x XP Boost I do legendary levels in Unit 3 and 4. Although lately there is an excess in 2x XP Boosts, I got 30 minutes for the Friends Quest. And every day you can get 15 minutes 2x XP Boosts from the Early Bird Chest or the Night owl Chest each.
When I have little time I just do a story.

And when I am in a bad mood and don't have motivation for French: I do some other tree. The tree of English from German just got some new skills in Unit 1. So I try to get the owl back there and someday make my English from German tree gold again. But I am afraid, that Duolingo could force the path on us, no more golden trees — the language path would look almost identical no matter what language combination I am doing and no matter what my progress is there.

learn vocab with/against me on Drops https://invite.languagedrops.com/ZApJ6kbeBuB3kvVy6 lerne Vokabeln mit mir oder gegen mich

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

I got offered the new path a couple of weeks back but refused it since my Gaelic golden owl was within my grasp. But [mention]Helge.[/mention]'s post made me go look at my Android phone where there is indeed an option to turn it on and off

My initial thoughts

Puerile – I don’t need all graphic of the character. I’d rather focus on the learning so turn all the distractions of animations and motivational messages. All the extra graphics don’t do anything for me, after all I’m closer to fifty than five and for me just take up space

Interminable - Current Gaelic tree has 107 skills and while I haven’t spent time to work out how the new path and old compare, but it feels like you are scrolling forever to see the bottom of the tree. For me that would be really off-putting and make me feel disillusioned. At least with the current one there’s much less scrolling to see the end goal and with the checkpoint, you have little goals on the way. So can think it’s only say 15 skill to get to that checkpoint. I find this more manageable and encouraging rather than having to keep scrolling forever and never seeming to get any closer
I can’t even beginning to think how much scrolling there’s be to the bottom of the Spanish tree which is what 2.5 times longer. I know you can easily go to where you are working but it’s nice to feel that you are progressing and getting toward the end goal and this layout doesn’t do it for me.

Incomprehensible - At least with the current view if you click on the skill you get told how many lessons you have done and in total. New view doesn’t so have to guess from the gold progress circle but I’ve always found that somewhat hard to gauge especially if I don’t know how many lessons there are in total to complete to start with. Also seems to be very little else to tell you what to do. I’ve done enough that I know generally how it works but do wonder what someone completely new would make of it and how off-putting it might be

Dumbing down - As I said I tried this after just getting my golden owl and completely all the new Gaelic skills to level 1. But when I switched I wasn’t at all impressed by the questions I was asked it all seemed to be translate from Gaelic to English via the word bank (didn’t look for the keyboard option – I’m not that good yet). Where as on old view now getting more translating into Gaelic which is definitely helping me work out how to put the language together. This was one of the changes with the introduction of Crowns (yes I remember a time before them) of slowing building your language competence. The only step up from the new view seemed to be to take the skill to Legendary – have to admit I couldn’t be bothered trying but that looked like only 8 “harder” lessons. So at least at this point it feels to be that a lot of the slowly building your skills with repetition, after all with 6 levels and 4 or 5 lessons per skill that’s more practice than appears to be in the new path. Having completed the original 37 skills Gaelic tree to Golden, I didn’t start the new path at the beginning so I think from what I’ve read I should have had at least some of the earlier thing to practice, if I did I didn’t notice and none of it seemed at all hard

So this is my initial impression and I could be wrong about much of it but if I get forced into this, with the apparent lack of building your skills then I won’t be sticking around. I definitely liked the introduction of Crowns but this seems from what I’ve seen seems to undo much of what was introduced with this.
Maybe I missed stuff but first impression was not positive

jenneeeeefur
United States of America

Post by jenneeeeefur »

Does anyone know how they matched our previous tree to this new path? I had unlocked up to unit 9 of Spanish, but still started from the beginning to get my skills to gold/legendary. I was on level 0/1 for units 4-9. Now it seems like they just made everything up to unit 9 automatically gold.

duome

Post by duome »

I can see the "new home screen design" option in both the app and the web version, but I cannot see the new design regardless of the state of that toggle. On the web it keeps being reset to "off" when I save settings; the app does remember my choice but it doesn't apply the changes, restarting the app doesn't help (it still remembers my choice but I can still see nothing).

Does anyone have the same issue?

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Today I got flipped to the new style. It's probably because I'm in Duo for Schools.

I was really hoping for Duolingo to hold this off until Duocon, with the hope that maybe their presentation might get into the details that their abstract presentations gloss over.

I don't mind having to change the way I have to work, it's just the whole 'coup de pied dans la fourmillière' approach that Duo is taking with this rollout.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I haven’t been updated , as of yet.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Meli578588 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:57 pm

I haven’t been updated , as of yet.

me neither

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:57 am

I haven’t been updated, as of yet.

me neither

If you all wish to get updated…

Go to https://preview.duolingo.com/learn > then to settings > scroll down > turn on “join beta” and “new home screen design”.

Done! 👍

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Jacko079 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:06 am

I haven’t been updated, as of yet.

me neither

Go to https://preview.duolingo.com/learn > then to settings > scroll down > turn on “join beta” and “new home screen design”.

Done! 👍

hell no that's the last thing I'd want... 😬

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

LICA98 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:10 am
Jacko079 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:06 am

me neither

Done! 👍

hell no that's the last thing I'd want... 😬

I got the update, just to try it. I thought you would be able to opt out of beta if you wished, but I haven’t found out how to, if you can. And really, the update isn’t actually that bad, I don’t mind it. But who knows, others may find it annoying.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Well, I don't like not being able to practice previously-done lessons. I found a method that worked really well for me, but I have to start from scratch again. Ça m'énerve.

The dumbbell bar is the only way to practice old lessons but so far I don't like what I'm getting.

I used the hover method in the old system The last few lessons, which I had to blue, green, or red, are now all guilded. I don't like that transition.

They're telling me plunking the lessons down in order is the same as the hover method. I've got my doubts but I am following the instructions that Duo has given.

I haven't gotten to stories yet. I hope conversation mode is still in play.

I feel I have limited choice in doing lessons on Duolingo. Either new lessons or dumbbell, which might end up making me do more français facile lessons just for some variety.

It does appear this new system stops a lot of ways non-plus users employed to cheat at leagues. Can't do set 1 legendary lessons at massive XP. Can't do those bonus skills over and over, a hundred times a day, to mine XP. Can't be a duolingo story reader. Not much for me here, I didn't do this stuff before, and with Duo for schools, I'm not in leagues.

duome

Post by duome »

From what I can tell the new layout is actually all five levels of the same old skills laid out flat in one layer and served in a waterfall (?) manner.

The sequence I get in French is:

Unit 1 = Basics 1 (L1), Greetings (L1), a story and a challenge.
Unit 2 = Basics 1 (L2), Basics 2 (L1), then it's another skill that doesn't level up any skills at all (how come?), a story, then Greetings (L2), Basics 1 (L3), another story and a challenge.

All in all it's 199 units with 3 to 9 skills each, the total seems to be just about right for the existing 247 French skills per 5 levels. Interestingly you can make each unit "legendary" but it doesn't actually raise individual skills levels and you still have to practice them down the road properly, step by step, little by little.

The downside is that we're forced to do those higher levels not knowing what's going on, while personally I would rather get a taste of everything once and then pace myself instead of bringing everything to level 5 or legendary right away. The new path could be a better approach in the long run as I will actually have a lot more practice, but it will slow the progress down immensely. I wish I could get hold of something like subjunctive skills long before I'm forced to max-out those basic skills.

What gives me some peace of mind is that it looks like on the back end it's exactly the same content so we won't miss anything from the existing courses.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Mmm, not sure if the contents are exactly the same in one-path and old-tree courses...
At least, duome doesn't show the correct data, or I think so...

I opened a test profile, and finished the arabian one-path course all at legendary.

In Duolingo everything looks correct: 30 Units, all levels to legendary, 1212 words, no crowns, number of mistakes to practice ("Review tab")...

But duome shows different data: Tree: L3 / 210 sessions to L4 / Crowns: 138/276 / Skills: 46 / Lessons: 210 / Lexemes: 1481

The back-to-old-tree function was difficult to execute, and when I managed to reverse it again to old-tree, after doing one "practice lesson", duome still has "incorrect" data (?)

This is the legendary one-path finished tree: https://ardslot.com/arabian-onepath-legendary.png

This is what appairs in duome: https://ardslot.com/duome-arabian-onepath-legendary.png

I changed to old-tree and finished a practice: https://ardslot.com/arabian-old-tree-legendary.png

In duome still appairs this: https://ardslot.com/duome-arabian-onepath-legendary.png

The test-profile is this: https://duome.eu/Johana778662/progress

Now it's in "old-tree" mode.

I made same tests in three more profiles, with Navajo from English, English from Bengali and Cantonese from Mandarin, and it happens the same.

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

duome

Post by duome »

Interesting.

All Johana's skills have [levels_finished] => 3 but [num_levels] => 6 so they shouldn't really be legendary in duolingo old mode (so as they cannot really be legendary when I deliberately complete the "legendary" challenge for a unit without actually completing the entire tree in the new design).

I didn't go too far in my French course, I got the first skill to L3 but I don't know if it can be made an L4 or is L3 the maximum level for the new path. If so - it might be an explanation to what we see on those screenshots, as if after switching to the new path you could never fully switch back to the old design and L3 is the maximum level they teach in the new path.

Return to “Duolingo”