Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by sandygaletoo »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:44 am

They don't have timed practice anymore these days. It does cost lingots though and you can only make 2 mistakes before you lose.

Good to know, thank you for the information :)

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Huh funny so one of my friends IRL got a new phone and installed Duolingo and made a BRAND new account in March yet they still have the SAME home screen as me. (They had got a new IOS btw). And they said “new users” will see this change. Wired… Unless I read it wrong.

Edit: Whoops quoted the wrong post heh heh… meant to quote this one:

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:50 am

I understood the text in the link https://duolingoschools.zendesk.com/hc/ ... -near-you- to mean that the Duolingo school team would like to discuss that with the teachers who use Duolingo:

What does this mean for Duolingo’s teachers?

If there are no longer Skills, what will happen to Skill assignments? What information about a curriculum will teachers be able to see, and how will they see it? The truth is that we don’t know everything yet, and we want you to help us make decisions that will create the best experiences for you and your students.

Here’s what we do know

1. You’ll be able to view and search the content that your students will be learning in a course.
  2. You’ll be able to view individual student and class activity and, because that activity will exist within a linear path, you’ll > have the ability to compare activity between students and relative to the course overall.
  3. You’ll still be able to see insights about students’ performance, such as XP earned and time spent learning.
  4. You’ll still be able to create XP assignments.

Edit 2: I ABSOLUTELY can’t STOP saying this enough. WHY. Oh WHY. Are they, I mean it SURE feels like this, solely focusing on small children. Don’t get me wrong it’s absolutely wonderful to make material for children, but I feel Duolingo is being lazy and be like “Eh we will make this change for everyone because it won’t take more time/money.” Oof I feel bad for them. They are going to loose so many users 😬

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

Does this update still include tips and notes?

Last edited by verdensrommet on Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

Gigikd

Post by Gigikd »

Oh myyyyy.
I do not have these upcoming changes, yet.
However, I do have some big changes that have just about completely zapped my enjoyment and led to very little progress in the past few months. I have been struggling to hang on, thinking I must not be alone. Hoping they will notice the lack of engagement and take a few steps back.
But, what I see described here suggests that it is only going to get worse. Much worse. <heavy sigh>

So, I joined in 2013. I have been a plus member for several years.
Lately, the lessons are SO bloody long, it's nothing but a painful slog. It's not fun anymore, when each one is several paragraphs to read through or columns of word matching. UGHHH! My brain ends up just trying to figure out the right answer, not really trying to understand the meaning. I find myself spending most of my time now in the Stories. Though I appreciate the work put into them, there is only so much silliness I can take, and I don't get much learning out of them anyway.

In a couple days I'll be on my way to Spain. Finally! The ticket was purchased over 2 years ago. Before the world changed. I'd been stressing about keeping my streak, 2695. Ha! It does not appear that it is worth the bother.

Sorry to be such a downer, my message would have been quite the opposite a year ago. I looked for a way to give feedback on Duolingo directly. I found the only feedback I can give is on a particular sentence.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Duolingo staff now support the discord community now renamed : Duolingo at : https://discord.gg/G2kpndH .

You can even get to talk with staff at times in this discord community, and also announcements at times can be made by Duolingo through that community.

You can read more about it here in the discord server Duolingo at :
https://discordapp.com/channels/1939589 ... 8189407243

twisted (EN) {DE, JP}: Hello @everyone!
Thank you for being a part of the community and loyally supporting our server for years on end. We’re always grateful for your engagement within the community. As some of you might know, Duolingo recently shut down their forums, making their own Discord server. After discussing with @y0tse and @Lazypelt (who are now visible under the @Duolingo Staff role), we have decided to partner and merge into our server! We’re really happy for this step, as it’s beneficial for both Duolingo and us, since education plays a big role in our community.

We are also announcing the opening of duo-troubleshooting and duo-feedback. @Duolingo Staff will check these periodically and work to assist. The server will also go under a name change, renaming it to Duolingo, and avatar change.

Alongside a few Duolingo Staff, people staffing the old Duolingo Discord, will also be joining along as the new Moderators in our Staff Team!

Thank you again for supporting OUDD,
much love, Twisted, Ace and Luna

Regarding the type of reports Duolingo does take notice of, this is what they state: https://blog.duolingo.com/how-user-repo ... e-content/

However it may be worth you while to engage with discord server : https://discord.gg/G2kpndH , and perhaps see if you can have a conversation in one of the channels there with the community there. Though Duolingo tends to not pay attention to individual comments in my experience. Yet you may find some others that that could be interested in the sharing of this experience.

Our community here is totally separate from Duolingo, and there are no Duolingo staff here who are moderators. All of our team of moderators are volunteers. People like you who seek to serve this community of learning, and to be part of providing an engaging community that supports learning and access to further resources, beyond what any other one site does, including Duolingo .

Yet we do check in occasionally with Duolingo, such as this week we of Duome.eu asked Duolingo :

• Is Duolingo okay with duome using the emotes/art on our forums of duome.eu ?
    They replied

• go for it. I don't think anyone on our side has a problem with that.
  • And also shared that they have

• only seen Duome mentioned positively at Duolingo, we're all for enhancing the experience :)

So, also feel free to talk about our community of https://forum.duome.eu/ in other communities, including the Duolingo discord community.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also to importantly mention [mention]Gigikd[/mention] , how wonderful it is to see you here in this community.

And I hope you will make yourself at home and engage in the forums here that interest you.
Perhaps even share some of your upcoming adventure in Spain if you are comfortable with that ?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

[mention]verdensrommet[/mention]

Does this update still include tips and notes?

Short answer - to the best of my knowledge Duolingo is intending on keeping tips - but to release them to a new standard across all the courses.

However this is something none of us can answer here at duome.eu - as we have not, to the best of my knowledge, picked up any statement by Duolingo on this.

However over these last years we have seen Duolingo continue to work on a new standard for their tips, while also working on standardizing it between the app platforms of iOs (apple) and android, and the big challenge to standardize it on the web interface.

You can read a bit more about it at :

When the tips were created by volunteer contributors they had the challenge of how to role this creation facility out to teams across language pairs, as the more advanced style of tips were written "in house" (in a bespoke way), and not available on a platform that volunteer contributors could interact with.

It is my understanding that they are still working on this project of updating the style of tips to all the different language pairs. Though I have not noticed any announcement by Duolingo on this. If anyone does, I would be thrilled to hear of this heads up.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

g-heike wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:02 am

Here is an interesting article about that:

https://duolingoschools.zendesk.com/hc/ ... -near-you-

As it looks, in the medium term, the familiar with skills/learning circles will disappear. There will then be a learning path.

Preview:

is that
on the app or website?????!!!!

:::edit thats apain in the what i won't say because idon't have any iphone/ios in the house/mobliehome i live in ughughuhgghghughguhguhg

Dovili22
United States of America

Post by Dovili22 »

Wow! Interesting

D o r a

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Perhaps we need to start changing our jargon when referring to
a Duolingo course as a tree -
to be

• a Duolingo path
g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

dakanga wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:11 am

to be

• a Duolingo path

Yes, and in the transition period, where many (then later some) still work with the tree and others with the path, one will find the distinction about it. The question then is:

Are you working with the learning tree or do you already have the learning path?

As I understand it, the core of learning will remain. So far, as long as we have followed Duolingo's recommended processing path, we have gone both forward (or to the left) to conquer new learning circles, and back again (or to the right) when we have moved started learning circles up one crown level in repetition mode to emulate spaced repetition.

In the new style, as I understand it, the learning circles are broken up (that is, what has been layered by crowns, so to speak) and simply lined up flat like a path. There is only one direction, forward, and the time-delayed repetitions are already built into the path.

Provided that I have understood it correctly, the same should actually come out of it, if one followed the waterfall method/hover method before.

The problem will rather be that our brain might get motivation problems because of the long path. With some old and not yet updated language learning trees the learning tree is still relatively short and with the new representation it will then be a longer path, but possibly not yet demotivating.

But if I look at the Spanish course of English, then the representation as a path would appear as an infinite path and that could give motivation problems.

I think I would have anyway already in the old look in the design to a CEFR compliant learning tree when reaching a language level A1, A2, B1 each end the learning tree with a test and then (if they are already Gameorientiert) open the next learning tree in the higher level. I don't know if you understand what I mean.

If this would be transferred to the learning path, the learning path ends when reaching a language level first and with a test you unlock the next path. As an example, if I have completely worked through the path up to A1, there is a test above A1 and if you are below a certain error rate, the learning path A2 is unlocked.

An optimal program would refer after not passed test and evaluation of the errors on certain "sidewalk plates" to repeat them.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

dakanga wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:11 am

to be

• a Duolingo path

Yeah, um, nope.

I appreciate your optimism. But Owls live in trees, not on paths and this path thing just isn't as charming as Owls and Trees.

my .02

Image L5

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

The first time a saw an owl in France it was walking along the footpath in front of my home. ;P

Does that count ?

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

dakanga wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:42 am

The first time a saw an owl in France it was walking along the footpath in front of my home. ;P

Does that count ?

I suppose so! Lol ;) Maybe that who Duo you saw… 🤔 I guess Duo got sick and tired of bonking his head when he fell out of that tree that he decided to pack his bags (if he owns anything 🙄) and live on the streets instead!

buho

Post by buho »

[mention]dakanga[/mention], totally unrelated to this discussion, but are you the dakanga from duolingo? if that's the case, then I gotta say I've learnt a lot from your posts there. so, a big thank you.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Welcome to you in this community buho.

I am honored that you are here, and hope to continue to see your valued connections here.
Thank you for this great gift you bring in being here.

edited. and yes, I answer to your call your call out. I am who you I understand you know me as. It is the same name in both forums. The same underlying details.
And you can also recognize me by the resources I have copied here, and work I continue to contribute and develop.

I remain in service to this community, and to you.

Psynatural

Post by Psynatural »

I'm really sad to see this. I've used Duolingo for many years (now on Day 2122), and I've generally taken the many changes (some good some bad) with stride. I thought that'd I'd continue to use the app for many more years since there's no shortage of languages to learn. However this sounds like it would remove so much of what I like about Duolingo that I might quit. If Duolingo had looked like that back when I first tried it, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it as long as I have. On the contrary, it reminds me of other apps that I experimented with for a day or two but otherwise didn't really bother with.

Language learning, by it's very nature, is NOT linear. And not everyone learns the same ways and needs the same number of repetitions for the same topics. Honestly, my own needs aren't even the same from language to language. With the current tree, I can pick and choose what I want/need to work on that day. Never being able to repeat anything would completely ruin that. Being constantly told "no you can't work on this today, you have to do this instead" would completely ruin that. Being shoved forwards when I need to review and reinforce what I previously learned would completely ruin that. Not being able to test out of skills that are too easy would completely ruin that (since Duolingo is hardly my only source for language learning and sometimes I really don't need to review a topic on Duolingo). For example, I have an auditory processing weakness. I need to spend a lot more time repeatedly listening to something than a neurotypical before I can actually start to understand it. Part of what drew me to Duolingo in the first place is that it WASN'T as overly linear as other language learning apps. I could test out of segments when relevant, and easily revisit things that I knew that I needed a refresher on. Duolingo's attempts at spaced repetition have never lined up with what I actually needed more practice on. I've tried following Duolingo's suggestions for reviews from time to time, and it usually gives me stuff that I could do in my sleep while completely ignoring stuff that I actually need to work on. Duolingo is WAY OVERCONFIDENT in their ability to deliver a scientifically designed learning course because they are basing their studies off of the average user data instead of treating us like individuals. There will NEVER be a perfect "one size fits all" model for ANY kind of educational program.

Part of me wants to start a petition against this, but Duolingo has a history of not caring when users are upset about changes. It'll take a large drop in their userbase for them to care (and only because of the lost revenue).

I guess I need to think hard about what my priorities are for the next few months in the event that I cannot stand the new home screen enough to continue. RIP Duolingo.

🇺🇲 native / :fr: B2 / :jp: B1 / 🇩🇰 🇨🇳 A2 / 🇨🇿 A1 / 🇮🇪 🇩🇪

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Hugs [mention]Psynatural[/mention] ,

Thank you for these valued words.

I hope, perhaps, you may visit again these forums here, and I look with anticipation to other engagement here by you.
Very much to my own heart.

I would value your contribution, insights and input.

edited: we are not Duolingo. We are volunteers here.
Again, your input and being part of this community is welcomed.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Psynatural wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:00 am

I'm really sad to see this. I've used Duolingo for many years (now on Day 2122), and I've generally taken the many changes (some good some bad) with stride. I thought that'd I'd continue to use the app for many more years since there's no shortage of languages to learn. However this sounds like it would remove so much of what I like about Duolingo that I might quit. If Duolingo had looked like that back when I first tried it, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it as long as I have. On the contrary, it reminds me of other apps that I experimented with for a day or two but otherwise didn't really bother with.

Language learning, by it's very nature, is NOT linear. And not everyone learns the same ways and needs the same number of repetitions for the same topics. Honestly, my own needs aren't even the same from language to language. With the current tree, I can pick and choose what I want/need to work on that day. Never being able to repeat anything would completely ruin that. Being constantly told "no you can't work on this today, you have to do this instead" would completely ruin that. Being shoved forwards when I need to review and reinforce what I previously learned would completely ruin that. Not being able to test out of skills that are too easy would completely ruin that (since Duolingo is hardly my only source for language learning and sometimes I really don't need to review a topic on Duolingo). For example, I have an auditory processing weakness. I need to spend a lot more time repeatedly listening to something than a neurotypical before I can actually start to understand it. Part of what drew me to Duolingo in the first place is that it WASN'T as overly linear as other language learning apps. I could test out of segments when relevant, and easily revisit things that I knew that I needed a refresher on. Duolingo's attempts at spaced repetition have never lined up with what I actually needed more practice on. I've tried following Duolingo's suggestions for reviews from time to time, and it usually gives me stuff that I could do in my sleep while completely ignoring stuff that I actually need to work on. Duolingo is WAY OVERCONFIDENT in their ability to deliver a scientifically designed learning course because they are basing their studies off of the average user data instead of treating us like individuals. There will NEVER be a perfect "one size fits all" model for ANY kind of educational program.

Part of me wants to start a petition against this, but Duolingo has a history of not caring when users are upset about changes. It'll take a large drop in their userbase for them to care (and only because of the lost revenue).

I guess I need to think hard about what my priorities are for the next few months in the event that I cannot stand the new home screen enough to continue. RIP Duolingo.

👏🏻 Very well said.

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

Psynatural wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:00 am

I agree completely. The order restrictions would also mean that I cannot choose what I want to do by the time of day. Right now I tend to do stories and review late at night when I can't sleep, and I am not really awake enough to learn anything new, but I can practice and listen on older stuff. I only do new material in the morning when I am awake and alert.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Psynatural[/mention] [mention]mathemajician[/mention] Sometimes you just don't feel like doing a hard lesson, so you pick something easy to review. You have fun by reviewing different things different days. I suppose they want to turn us into to robots. I wonder if Duolingo keeps a metric of long time users to see how they react to the changes as opposed to those who check in for a little while. Do they also give good metrics for everyone? [mention]g-heike[/mention] Does this even have a strengthen button, or do they just assume you will be able to do it when they want you too? It does look like you can jump further down the road on the map, like check out of checkpoints. Whether you can check out of individual lessons, I don't know. I do think the strengthen algorithm has improved, at least for me. I wonder if you can still use Duome's back door to access individual lessons?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

As I'm about to head out, I hadn't enough time to read the whole article, but before it get lost in the news clutter of the day....

CNET: 8 Changes Duolingo Is Making for Easier Learning.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... en-easier/

Perhaps it has some new information..... I'm not sure....

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Helge.

Post by Helge. »

The video has comments enabled. So you might want to share your resentments over there on Youtube.

Last edited by Helge. on Fri May 06, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

learn vocab with/against me on Drops https://invite.languagedrops.com/ZApJ6kbeBuB3kvVy6 lerne Vokabeln mit mir oder gegen mich

duome

Post by duome »

If I were Duolingo I'd make a duolingo "classic" app available along with the "new" one. From what I've seen up to this day, for the most part they still rely on the same data source and they still keep everything in place for compatibility reasons even though they didn't use some bits of information for years, skill strength 0/25/50/75/100% values being an example. So there's no reason why these two apps cannot coexist even if the structure is a bit different, the old values would still be there for compatibility and they don't even need to develop and support this "classic" app - they could simply rename the current version and leave it as is.

They could as well keep the old forums in read-only mode, but they didn't...

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

duome wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:12 pm

If I were Duolingo I'd make a duolingo "classic" app available along with the "new" one. From what I've seen up to this day, for the most part they still rely on the same data source and they still keep everything in place for compatibility reasons even though they didn't use some bits of information for years, skill strength 0/25/50/75/100% values being an example. So there's no reason why these two apps cannot coexist even if the structure is a bit different, the old values would still be there for compatibility and they don't even need to develop and support this "classic" app - they could simply rename the current version and leave it as is.

They could as well keep the old forums in read-only mode, but they didn't...

I totally agree [mention]duome[/mention]. I’m very thankful that someone managed to archive the forums but I remember saying something about they could have JUST but the forums in read-only. That would’ve made the whole situation much better. I still believe people would still be upset about them putting it in read-only.

But, sigh Duolingo seems to lack some sense. I would not have a problem with this new change if they still made the old home screen accessible. ALSO it would also give people the choice which home screen they want for those who will learn better with this new home screen and those who are learning just fine with the old home screen.
I honestly don’t see why they can’t do this 🤷🏼‍♀️ :/

Marijn
Netherlands

Post by Marijn »

So these changes will only be happening on the app and the website will stay the same?

Native: 🇳🇱 🇮🇸 C1: 🇬🇧 B2: 🇪🇸 🇩🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:11 pm

But, sigh Duolingo seems to lack some sense.

It's called bird brain.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

IceVajal wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 am

As I'm about to head out, I hadn't enough time to read the whole article, but before it get lost in the news clutter of the day....

CNET: 8 Changes Duolingo Is Making for Easier Learning.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... en-easier/

Perhaps it has some new information..... I'm not sure....

Only 1 legendary test per skill that you can take at the end of unit.

After you complete all the unit lessons, you have the option to try for legendary status with eight additional, more challenging lessons. If you achieve legendary status, it applies to the entire unit instead of just that one lesson.

No tips on individual lessons.

It's also easier to access lesson tips. In the redesign, you'll find a guidebook at the start of each unit that gives a bite-size effective overview of what you'll learn.

Does not appear to have a practice option or barbell for free users. This makes sense as Duo wants you to pay for their app.

If you're subscribed to Plus, you can access a Practice Hub -- the barbell icon in the bottom menu -- that features weekly practice recommendations based on how you're doing in lessons. Here you can review mistakes, as well as retry pronunciation and listening exercises.

I wonder where characters fit in this course. Are they at the beginning and incorporated like the stories now are?

Edit: About practice:

Practice is built into your path (so you won’t have to worry about jumping around or going back to “cracked” skills)

Meh!

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Mon May 09, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Here's more about the new design from duolingo blog itself:

We often hear from learners that they’re not sure whether they’re using Duolingo the “correct” or “best” way. We’re always looking for ways to make language learning easier, and we thought we could do better at guiding learners through lessons!

Now we’re excited to introduce a change to the home screen that gives you a clear path to follow — so you can be confident that each step you take in Duolingo is truly the best step for reaching your language goals.

We’ll walk you through what’s changed, explain the science behind the changes, and answer FAQs! And don’t worry: you won't lose any of your hard-earned progress!

Here you can read the entire article.

So, what do you think?

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

fremanolas wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:50 am

Here you can read the entire article.

So, what do you think?

I will admit, they do present it very well, but I'm still not a fan. With increased animations, a weird new interface, and limits i=on what you can do, it seems increasingly marketed towards children as a game, not as a true learning tool.

I think I'll give it a try when it's introduced but I likely won't stay long if they don't offer some kind of alternative for real users.

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

Return to “Duolingo”