Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by Corinnebelle »

Izabela wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:25 pm

@Corinnebelle Server must be overloaded right now and spits out 503s currently. But when things are working smoothly again, I'll see how it works to do things through Duome and maybe that will become an additional study method. Thank you.

Maybe everyone is accessing it once due to the new one path! [mention]duome[/mention] I'm not sure I found the right page for you. It may be someone else that spelled their name the same as you. You need your exact name on Duolingo to put into the link on duome.eu/insert name here

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ArthurCarpenter
Scotland

Post by ArthurCarpenter »

Well... I just opened Duolingo this evening to do some practice, and found I've been moved to the path.

This is a sad day. After more than 5 years of continuous daily practice, and more than 8 years total of using Duo, I'm now not sure whether I want to carry on. I know there are workarounds at the moment, either using www-internal.duolingo.com or the Duome skills list, but with Duome currently being down as well I just don't know how long any of these will keep working. I don't really know what to say, it just sucks :(

I WANT to stop. I WANT to make Duolingo realise that gamifying everything beyond belief is NOT a functional way to improve language learning, and is not enjoyable for adults. I WANT them to see that I'm a grown person with some semblance of a brain, and I can structure my own learning thank you. But the only way to convey that, seemingly, is to stop using the app so their user-ship will go down by 1. And that just feels hopeless. Part of me can't stop either - now that there's a new realise I want to find anything and everything wrong with it - and I'm aware how irrational and vindictive that seems. The Duome bug with the xp is a big one. The fact that I have the path on the webpage, but in my last-updated-2-months-ago app I still have a tree (for now...). It just all seems like there's a shiny new paint of coat on top of a building to cover up for the fact that it's just one long corridor with no doors or windows.

Sorry for all of these ramblings, I just wanted a place to air some thoughts. Thank you to everyone in this community: all those who have ever helped to create or moderate a course, anyone who posted tips on the forums, or just anyone who loves learning languages. Knowing there are others out there who feel the same as I do really makes things just a little bit better sometimes <3

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

This néw path reminds of something like a tornado Ripping through all cites of states and Countries. Calling people and saying ,” Did it hit you, yet ?” How much damage did you get ?

Last edited by Meli578588 on Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Meli578588 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 pm

This néw path reminds of something like a tornado Ripping through all cites of states and Counties. Calling people and saying ,” Did it hit you, yet ? How much damage did you get ?

:D Very happy to report that I'm still hanging on to the tree. I haven't done Duo updates since August, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]Stasia[/mention] Hopefully, you won’t get it .( Since you turned off your updates early .)

At least, a few might be spared !

It’s coming for me ! I didn’t know you could do that.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duome

Post by duome »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 pm

@duome, my raw popup is OK, but I am having problems with the graphical displays. Between 17 October and yesterday my XP per lesson have been vastly exaggerated, both in the Daily Progress

Many thanks... this has been fixed.
It would have been a mess if we didin't figure it out so soon.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:07 pm

@Izabela My method of cheating the one path is to use this for visuals, I use internal.duolingo.com, but select the skills via Duome because the sentence extension doesn't work on internal.duolingo. I also backed up all links in resources just in case the links disappear.

Thank you for that link to www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

I missed it last evening but tried it this morning and yay, the tree!

duome

Post by duome »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention], we can replicate the tree with a few minor differences - https://duome.eu/corinnebelle/tree - the order may be a little bit off compared to the original and there would be no cracked skills, but we can have a replacement based on skill strength values. Adding the extra "tooltip" layer with some extra info is also possible.

Adding checkpoints is somewhat tricky - they're not in the data so we'll need to manually place them where they belong.

I didn't try to replicate the tree like this because this way it wouldn't be sortable.
Still having it as an option is probably the way to go.

Edit: I made it the first tab on the progress page so it's no longer necessary to add the /tree part

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

Meli578588 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 pm

... something like a tornado Ripping through ... and saying ,” Did it hit you, yet ? How much damage ...

I got hit - completely unexpected.
I have thought that my next thing would be either one of two directions; 1) to quit; 2) to just click the 'practice' icon and let the system keep track of my progress, boycotting the "new" modules.
I don't understand the logic or the order of the new achievement pathways and if I don't eventually figure it out, I don't know but if I won't be involved with Duolingo in the near future, for the duration. But hey.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention], you are a wizard!

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Madness
Finland

Post by Madness »

GrahamW wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:36 pm

For incomplete trees, Duo seems to have done a best guess to where you were, setting everything above that point in the path to complete, and everything below to incomplete.

I got the path update on web a month or two ago already, and I noticed the same. It has made it really difficult for me to progress with Swedish because the path made me more "skilled" than what I actually am, because in the tree I had probably 10-20 skills on the 1st and 2nd levels, and then suddenly on the path they all are on gold. I tried doing the practices, but the practice rounds are so short and only a few sentences and not nearly the things I would need practice with. With Hungarian I was not that far yet so I just reset the whole course for myself, and I find the path really good with new courses, but not so much when you have already had some progress but can't downgrade the skills on the path.

I also started using the Internal-Duolingo to access the Swedish tree, to actually learn the stuff I hadn't learned yet so that I could then continue with the path once I'm happy with my own progress. I still have the tree on mobile, and recently I noticed that when I do the lessons on Internal-Duolingo or through Duome, the progress is not recognized on the mobile tree, and vice versa. I can't say anything about the path on web as all the skills I've been doing now from the tree, are skills and levels above the last unlocked skill on the path, so they haven't affected my progress on the path at all/yet.

Native: 🇫🇮 | Fluent: 🇬🇧/🇺🇸 | Learning: 🇩🇪 (B1-B2), 🇸🇪 🇭🇺 🇷🇺 (Beginner or so, learning for fun and out of curiosity!)

killua145
Iran

Post by killua145 »

The website changed for me to the 🐍 version. But the app didn't, even though I have the latest update. And no, I didn't like the new course. The functionality was really bad, and after I finished each lesson it took years before it was registered and it took me back to the main screen. Also, I was already using the hover method and reviewing previous lessons but now it took me waaaay back. To the point that the lessons I was doing were extremely easy for me.
I will continue using the app and avoid updating it until a more stable version of this system is achieved. Otherwise if they try to shove this wrecked version of it down my throat I will simply stop using Duolingo all together...

Rickiefl
Scotland

Post by Rickiefl »

Happened to me today. Did some stories this morning for revision as usual, went back in this evening and I’ve been SNAKED.
My usual routine was to do two old and one new story and 10 lingots worth of legendary as my daily revision in topics of my choice. If I’ve enough time I do a minimum of 3 lessons new stuff. Also I use the hover method that duolingo recommended which has now been tossed aside. No individual learning allowed now! Do as we say!
So I am about to try via Duome to see if I can get back to my old, comfortable routine.

Native: British 🇬🇧 Scottish. Learning: French 🇫🇷,German 🇩🇪,Spanish 🇪🇸

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] The tree you did is sooo cool! Thanks a trillion!

One question. What's the difference between the red dots and black dots?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

The owls have flown.
In the best case, a single test may bring the trophy back. But all skills were gold and the first half of them were purple/legendary.
In less fortunate cases (blue/red owls) a lot of the path is grey and I frenetically continue making skill tests to get close to the end of the course again. Remarkably for the much neglected Catalan course (38 crowns with a lucky placement test) my 'knowledge' is valued higher than I anticipated.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

The Duome tree is useful for finding out where we were up to. The new path system is not a real problem because I just want to improve my fluency. Actually I found the listening exercises on the iPad very useful because they are interactive, but there was a bit too much English. I don't care about how many crowns or gems you get. If you run out of gems on the iPad, you just do some practice.

In the French course I finished the level 5 tree then the new material came along. I had a momentary hissy fit, but realised that the extra material was necessary.

The Italian from French course also had a major revamp a couple of years ago, but it's now my favourite course.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

The screen changed today. I'll see how it goes for a while...🐍

Albur_Godwin

Post by Albur_Godwin »

I discovered this change yesterday, and saw it better today.

I very seldom come to the Duome forum (not out of disinterest, but because I have been busy with other things and had less time to allow to language learning, although I still keep some daily practice through various ways, including a small amount of Duolingo), but this made me come check what is going on exactly. The deletion of the internal forum as an anticipation, as suggested by some here, is an interesting hypothesis and quite a giveaway.

Some thoughts on the change:

1. The guides look way less comprehensive than the former Tips and Notes. By the way, as a reminder, thankfully, the lessons all seem to be safe here on Duome; for example, the French-from-Russian course (which I intend to study for Russian, as reading the course for one’s own language written one’s target language perspective is a good exercise ;)) is filed under URL https://duome.eu/tips/ru/fr. I know that intuitive on-the-fly learning is more effective than long formal one, but the Tips and Notes came as a nice complement to skim through the first time, and then go back to when you wanted to better understand some point, or (as I do too) for studying reading another language.

2. The units seems way less themed than before; the sections tell of some notions (grammatical or topical), but the exercise I tried this morning (in the German-from-French path) had nothing to do with the past, which was the declared intent of the section! I wonder if this has to do with the concept of tailored revisions, but since this was a new ‘node’ from the path, I was expecting it to have at least some relevance to the section. I read (and felt) that themed learning works better than motley learning. Even visually, the new presentation makes it harder to find some specific topic you want.

3. I do not play Candy Crush, but have seen it, and the ‘dotted’ path with animated characters made me think of it. (Speaking of evil investors, said game is backed by Microsoft. ;)) Gentianopsis’s metaphor of the (stupid) snake is a funny one, although I have now labelled this in my head as ‘the Candy Crush path’. (Snake is also a video game, as a funny coincidence.)

Some thoughts on what I have read in this thread (I only took a look at the first page and last ones, I was not aware of this whole project before):

1. Some have denounced gamification, but I think this is not the proper term for what is going on: the previous versions were already heavily based on gamification; the problem here is downgrading content and removing clarity, which has nothing to do with gamification in itself. It looks like the new strategy is to target beginner children with the simplest first-learner methods (which can indeed work for beginners, but then becomes a problem).

2. Some say this is fine for either their case or as long as you use other resources. While I agree that varying resources is a great idea (which I have applied to some extent), I do not see how this implies that one resource (here, Duolingo) should get less efficient. What is more, some have less time and/or have managed to get some variety by mixing old and new, topics, listening and reading, different languages (I think Izabela is an example, as she mentioned her ‘routine’, and the fact that getting other ways is not that easy).

3. I read that there is no way to inflect Duolingo’s policy. Well, first, depending on how the user base evolves following this decision, there should be consequences (I guess investors are mindful of how many people they reach — they could have other motives that run more or less contrary to it, such as propaganda or teaching philosophy, but number of users is always taken into account). I have no idea if there will be less subscribers in total, but if this happens or disrepute skyrockets, probably people there will be willing to reconsider glorious ‘AI findings’.

And second, I see this as an opportunity for alternatives to surface; I know there are other language-learning websites (including charged ones), but unless I am mistaken, none is so close to what Duolingo does (did?). Now, I am only a little guy rather than someone with big wherewithal, but exploring various free open-source software projects which worked through donations makes me think that something comparable (ie closer to old Duolingo, but using a donation system) could strive as competition to Duolingo. After all, Duolingo’s content stems massively from volunteers — who in my eyes are the real treasure of the system —, so I do not see why they would be reluctant to collaborate on a really independent project. The money would go for the logistics (and possibly even rewarding the people working on the content? I am not too clever with legalese, just musing). I am sure a lot of people disheartened by the direction Duolingo takes (both in the teaching methods and in force-feeding political correctness in stories, I noticed the same patterns as Gentianopsis) would be happy to make the switch — by the way, thanks for the www-internal.duolingo.com link, I have already used it!

I must confess I am not sure how Duome is run exactly (and I remember there was some kind of non-disclosure agreement about a previous Duolingo update — phasing down the forum, I think —, so maybe there is not enough leeway), but if anyone from it, or out there, would be willing to think about it seriously, maybe now is the time. My intuition (and my own case) tells me that the many people that enjoyed ‘former’ Duolingo(s) appreciated:

1. Personalised and varied on-the-fly learning (not a forced path with scattered bits of themes),
  2. The volunteers, for their massive work (not ‘AI-driven’ investors),
  3. Tips and Notes (not a lack of explanations),
  4. The forum (not… nothing), for language explanations and links to other resources — by the way, the site/project could also offer such a list,
  5. Original engaging stories, such as tales (not a mix of ‘childish’ and PC; by the way, children themselves benefit from tales, so this is highly ironic to have replaced them while having children in mind!!).

Bring all this back and they should come like a flock of seagulls. I guess the most complicated to obtain is a first big enough database of data (which is why I was thinking of Duome, but I have no idea what the property rights for the content are between Duolingo and the volunteers), and servers to run everything, but maybe this could start small and then scale up depending on how things are going. The public would be understanding if you keep transparent about the process.

I do not know if this is a pipe dream, but why not float the idea? Maybe talk about it around you, especially to the volunteers if you know any.

unterhausen
Andorra

Post by unterhausen »

I wish there was an obvious app to switch over to. I have tried several and wasn't impressed. It looks to me that my only choices now are to wipe the French tree and start over (testing out as appropriate) or just dumping it altogether.

They really messed up my course. From looking at it, if a skill was at level 3 or above it's now considered complete. If something is complete, that means that there are lessons I didn't do that aren't accessible. That's just ridiculous. I would wipe out everything I have done above unit 7 in French if it would mean I could do those lessons. I always found that level 4 and 5 was where I really learned things, and in a lot of skills those are the lessons I didn't get to before they made this change.

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
unterhausen
Andorra

Post by unterhausen »

One thing that really seems to have died because of this update was the windows app. It was still on the pre-2018(?) interface. Doesn't work at all now, can't log in. I'm not sure if they spent resources killing it or if it just broke naturally.

Rickiefl
Scotland

Post by Rickiefl »

So I’m now doing my revision using the Duome application and doing “new” lessons on the snake….this seems to work ok for me.I can’t see how to access stories through Duome though…..can anyone help please?

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Rickiefl wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:58 pm

So I’m now doing my revision using the Duome application and doing “new” lessons on the snake….this seems to work ok for me.I can’t see how to access stories through Duome though…..can anyone help please?

I use web Duolingo (for computers, not smartphones). Duome could not access Stories, as I understood from old Duome discussions, which is why Stories were never included in the statistics here directly, only XP's from them are counted. Stories can be accessed through the picture of a book in the old design of Duolingo: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn or directly from here: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/stories ("I speak ..." is for choosing your language). However, both of these addresses link to some kind of Duolingo back-up server and no-one knows, how long they let them operational. :-(

Rickiefl
Scotland

Post by Rickiefl »

Thanks Gentianopsis, just tried the second link and it is perfect for me with exact stories that I have done and those ready to read, before the nasty snake came along.
So I should be able to to continue as before ( until Duolingo blocks or deletes this).

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

Got the new path recently and here are my thoughts. First off, it's terrible! The tips and notes have been annihilated, there's cartoon characters everywhere, and the new snake poorly represents previous progress and makes advancing through the course unbearably long. You get this sense doing the snake that Duo has reduced their site to a game based on points and cartoons and not a proper system for learning. Luckly, internal.duolingo.com still works and I'll be using it instead of the new snake. Sadly, there isn't a replacement for what Duolingo was (at least not that I could find). If anyone has any suggestions for replacements please let me know since I may eventually give up on Duo if the old path is permanently disabled.

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

verdensrommet wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:18 pm

If anyone has any suggestions for replacements please let me know since I may eventually give up on Duo if the old path is permanently disabled.

There is a discussion on that in Forums - Languages - I speak English - Discussions - Discussions - Multi-language resources: viewtopic.php?t=32-multi-language-resources with a great list from [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention]

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]verdensrommet[/mention], check out Mondly and Qlango, both give you a chance to test the website / app, but you'll need subscription to fully use it. Soon it's Black Friday and they usually give a big discount and offer lifetime subscription for all 40+ language.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

I used the link
https://www-internal.duolingo.com/
and it seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I usually like to hate on all the latest duo updates but I've been using the new format for about a month now and I don't miss the old tree 8-) mostly because I no longer have to think what to do there's just 1 option :)

the bad part is that you can't "farm XP" by doing the basics anymore and the amount of cartoons (they can be blocked on the website tho) :? also on the mobile the app is very laggy and takes a long time to load (hopefully this is gonna be fixed soon)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Cap[/mention] I love that clean look! If I ever try the new path, I will have to learn how to do that.

Return to “Duolingo”