Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Deleted User 1414

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I'm worried about what will happen after November 1st! (I plan to continue with duo.) It is possible that some people have already graduated from duo because of this.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Gentianopsis wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:21 pm

Is there any way to get downloaded all the sentences from the old Duolingo language courses lesson by lesson before they delete the old courses completely from everywhere? I would like to have at least something to practise what I learned and go through unfinished lessons. Printed sheets of paper would not be ideal, but certainly uncomparably better than this stupid "snake", although finding someone to read the sentences for me might be quite difficult. :-(

As for both CS<>EN courses, it is in DuoBooster, including English alternative translations - the file "Vety.csv". I think you know. It is possible to make a copy, open it in Excel or LibreOffice (free) and sort, search, make an exercise sheet from it etc. You can use http://balabolka.site or similar tools to read it. You can also download many voices for many languages, see the description of DuoBooster (search SAPI).

As for other courses, maybe users have made similar tools, I don't know. You can also ask them on Discord . I don't believe Duolingo would allow or make it easy to export their content.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] How did you create that sentence database?

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] There is a collection of sentences here in Duome. It is not based on lessons though. Try different language codes to get different collections, some of them are big and some small. You can also collect sentences through using the Duome sentence extension which will link to Duolingo's sentence discussions.

I noticed last time I looked at the one path, I hadn't moved any further down the "snake" in spite of me completing several lessons in Duolingo using the old tree.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

I have only created the mini app DuoBooster (233 kB). The users created the sentence database when they were learning English with it.

Yes, that's it. The tree (https://www-internal.duolingo.com) now saves the progress (I think it was a bug and it has been fixed), but the progress has to be complex enough to affect the snake. When converting the tree to the snake, there is a rounding.

Note by the way... I don't like the snake :-) , just like I don't like the One Path. Actually, I hate him. I think you know...

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] Once upon a time there was a snake in a tree that entranced a beautiful woman, who meant so much to a man that the serpent succeeded in destroying the race. As a punishment the serpent had to slither from side to side on the earth for the rest of its days. That is another story about a snake.

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention]'s description of the one path is the most eerie yet.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:53 pm

There is a collection of sentences here in Duome. It is not based on lessons though. Try different language codes to get different collections, some of them are big and some small. You can also collect sentences through using the Duome sentence extension which will link to Duolingo's sentence discussions.

Thank you for the link. There are not many languages in Duome Practice (certainly not all the languages taught on Duolingo), and not as many sentences in them as they are on Duolingo, but it certainly is a nice tool. Thanks to the authors. Unfortunately, it is only one-way translation from a (foreign) language to English. It does not work the other way around, even if you switch the language codes in the address. Would it be possible to add an option for the same sentence sets to be translated from English to other languages? (I am aware that there are no voice records for English sentences, but I was learning Russian on Duolingo from English although English in not my native language, so it will be just the same situation.)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Gentianopsis wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:16 pm

Thank you for the link. There are not many languages in Duome Practice (certainly not all the languages taught on Duolingo), and not as many sentences in them as they are on Duolingo, but it certainly is a nice tool. Thanks to the authors. Unfortunately, it is only one-way translation from a (foreign) language to English. It does not work the other way around, even if you switch the language codes in the address. Would it be possible to add an option for the same sentence sets to be translated from English to other languages? (I am aware that there are no voice records for English sentences, but I was learning Russian on Duolingo from English although English in not my native language, so it will be just the same situation.)

We can ask [mention]duome[/mention]!

killua145
Iran

Post by killua145 »

It is November 1, and I still don't see the new home screen 😑 And I have the latest Update for Android.

ArthurCarpenter
Scotland

Post by ArthurCarpenter »

killua145 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:33 pm

It is November 1, and I still don't see the new home screen 😑 And I have the latest Update for Android.

I don't have it either! I checked on the app (which admittedly I haven't updated since 27th of September, which itself was a mistake!) and I still had the trees in both Hawaiian and Spanish, although I didn't check through all my languages. The same on the desktop: I've just finished a lesson, and the path update is yet to appear!

I don't know why this has happened. I had rather resigned myself to the fact that I'd be losing my trees today, and whilst I'm pleasantly surprised, it still feels like it's only a matter of time before I get moved over. It's not even the end of the 1st yet, which might potentially be the cutoff!

Has anyone else not been moved across yet? Any ideas why not?

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

[mention]killua145[/mention] Like you, I was expecting/fearing the change on 1 November. I've been working to get the state of my trees well-organized by 1 November to give Duo the best chance of not screwing up the process of converting them to paths (remembers the German tree upgrades that were incomprehensible). However, on re-visiting Duo's blog announcement of the path structure, I see that it states, "On November 1, 2022, this redesigned experience will launch for all learners." So the word "launch" leaves it open to interpretation when it will happen for any individual. I suspect that it means that having targeted specific users with the change in the past, they will start the process of rolling our the "redesigned experience" to everyone over some unspecified period of time.
For those who got the change previously, was there any notice given that it was being applied for you, or were you just presented with it with no notification?

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

GrahamW wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:40 pm

For those who got the change previously, was there any notice given that it was being applied for you, or were you just presented with it with no notification?

I just got the update. Of course, like everyone else, I knew it was coming, but I was not personally notified in advance.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

ArthurCarpenter wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:39 pm

Has anyone else not been moved across yet? Any ideas why not?

Only in my account where I have all the courses completed (legendary), I have not been moved even today.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

It's November 2nd here and I still don't have the update.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

GrahamW wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:40 pm

I use the laptop web version of Duolingo and I got the change previously. Without any email notice, without any previous warning in my Duolingo account that this was coming. Everything looked normal, I logged in and obtained a long texts on the screen how wonderful everything was going to be from that moment on. I did not read them, just searched for any option to switch that change off, to refuse it, but I found nothing. Then there was that stupid "snake" instead of the tree and there is no way to switch it back to the tree anywhere to be found. I immediately without starting any lesson closed GoogleChrome, after starting it again I deleted all its history, opened https://www.duolingo.com/learn , logged in and the "snake" was there as it always was there. :-( All my courses became a big mess, in my two legendary courses I stared to get clicking exercises to pair the easiest words possible (I, man, girl, good morning...), in my two unfinished courses I was placed somewhere in the middle of the course with white circles ahead (the only difference is that in L1 course there is an option to skip those white lessons and start anywhere from the middle to the very end of the course - well, great idea, if you have no idea what is in those lessons, because they are all absolutely urelated to skills in the old tree - and in L0 course I cannot skip any lesson). Any time I log in, the "snake" version is always there without any option to refuse it. If [mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] did not tell me about https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn with the old trees, I would not be doing Duolingo any more now. So, I am still nervously waiting whether they are going to delete the old language "tree" courses or not, because in "snake" clicking messy exercises I will learn nothing and Duolingo would be nothing but a useless waste of my time. I do not make any progress in my unfinished courses now, just repeat legendary skills and go through unfinished stories (well, I seriously wonder whether something like a white heterosexual person for whom steeling, lying and cheeting is not the only way of life still exists in the United States, when Duolingo proudly presents such "stories" to the whole world).

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

I haven't updated my app since June (android version 5.63.3) and it still running smoothly with the tree layout.
(Well, not updating the app didn't protect me from a VERY updated Welsh course :( )

I was, however, almost hoping to try the new layout on the web version - but I still have the tree. Not that I complain that much. I maybe, just maybe, have the time to finish some of my courses before taking the fight with the "one-path-snake" or quitting Duolingo.

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

It finally changed for me today and, so far, I like it.

I have finished my course up to the purple crown level so was intrigued to see where I'd enter the path. On opening, I was given a test on level 75 - the last level*- which was actually very simple - and that was it.

But I can read any story along the path and revisit any lesson. It's OK.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Shock Horror!!!! Trying out the new path, I just lost a heart for a typo on a practice!!!! I'm not used to that. - having completed the course and only doing practices

John661162

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

John Little wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:23 am

Shock Horror!!!! Trying out the new path, I just lost a heart for a typo on a practice!!!! I'm not used to that. - having completed the course and only doing practices

Thanks - that's an important information - I still don't have the new version

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

John Little wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:23 am

I feel sorry for you, it is sad and pathetic. :(

Thank God I still have the old version (because I haven't updated Duolingo in quite a long time) and I don't want a new path, because it's bad and hopeless . :(

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

OK, I just got it. At first glance, the conversion seems as well as one could expect, given the significant change.
Trees completed to L5 are fine, and complete.
For incomplete trees, Duo seems to have done a best guess to where you were, setting everything above that point in the path to complete, and everything below to incomplete.
I had Italian partially to L5 and the rest to L4, and it's set the complete path to complete.
I had Greek partially to L5 and the rest to L1-4, and it seems to have picked a mid-point in the path to represent my status. I haven't looked close enough yet to see how well it matches.
In other trees where I'd completed to L1 or were incomplete, anything at L1 (maybe L2 also?) seems to have been discarded to pick a point in the path to represent my status.
Also, I've done very few stories before I found them uninteresting, but all in the completed part of my path have been marked as complete.

Finally, and my biggest concern, as I use it a lot, is that my Duome Progress page has gone crazy. No language details (i.e. the Skills are gone, understandably, I guess), and my Raw pop-up shows lessons/practices repeated 6 times!

UPDATE: Duome Progress is back to normal, including the Raw pop-up.

Last edited by GrahamW on Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Internal.duolingo.com still stands strong! It is still syncing with lessons done on the new path via using my circles on Duome. The shop doesn't work, but that can be remedied by using the new shop, but doing the old lessons. They seem to be giving away free streak freezes when I do lessons these days. That's ten lingots a pop right?

duome

Post by duome »

[mention]GrahamW[/mention], I can't see anything abnormal - can your please make a screenshot when it happens to you again? I'm on vacation from the day after tomorrow so I should have plenty of time to look at this closely..

By the way, I didn't get the new path. Not yet.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

It just changed over on me and I dislike it so much that I'm making my first post on these forums to say I want the tree back. I had a way of working those trees that suited my learning style and now I don't know if I can replicate that along the snake thing we've got now.

edited to fix a typo

Last edited by Izabela on Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Izabela[/mention] My method of cheating the one path is to use this for visuals, I use internal.duolingo.com, but select the skills via Duome because the sentence extension doesn't work on internal.duolingo. I also backed up all links in resources just in case the links disappear.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:07 pm

@Izabela

Thank you for the ideas. Maybe I can learn new tricks, but it's tougher and tougher the older I get.

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

GrahamW wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:36 pm

Finally, and my biggest concern, as I use it a lot, is that my Duome Progress page has gone crazy.. No language details (i.e. the Skills are gone, understandably, I guess), and my Raw pop-up shows lessons/practices repeated 6 times!

[mention]duome[/mention], my raw popup is OK, but I am having problems with the graphical displays. Between 17 October and yesterday my XP per lesson have been vastly exaggerated, both in the Daily Progress

XP.jpg
XP.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 634418 times

and in the XP per Skill bar chart. Most curiously, every time I refresh my Duome home page or progress page the number of XP per lesson increases further in the graphical output, although the raw data stays correct.

FYI I was converted to the path yesterday evening but have been using www-internal since then.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Izabela[/mention] If you can get into your statistics on Duome, you can just click on the links for each circle. Is this yours? The server is currently not working, but hopefully it should be back online soon. Just click on the Spanish link beside your profile and it should take you to your skills page.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Oui, c'est moi. Which means you've seen that I love to travel around the languages of Duolingo and slowly slowly slowly gain some understanding of them, though I definitely like the network of Romance languages and have used a kind of rotation through their courses to help me practice in a way that keeps me interested.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Izabela[/mention] It's only got Spanish on it. The progress page opened now.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Server must be overloaded right now and spits out 503s currently. But when things are working smoothly again, I'll see how it works to do things through Duome and maybe that will become an additional study method. Thank you.

Return to “Duolingo”