Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]LICA98[/mention] I think this makes it look like a bug even more. Syncing is complicated when you've so many platforms.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Do you think internal.duolingo will also change to the one path soon?

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] I think that guy with the quick lessons may be using a computer script to complete them.

I made a link of all the Hebrew links one needs to do the tree without seeing the one path for Hebrew. I even posted some pictures of how the old tree used to look. :cry:

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Yes, they are cheaters and spoil the game and study conditions for everyone else. They must be very stupid individuals.

I'm afraid no one can guess if https://www-internal.duolingo.com will change and when. Anyway, the skill list at https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress seems to work more reliably now. But no one knows how long it will work as well.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Explorer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:35 pm

One month after the official announcement I still have my trees and crowns intact. I feel like the last of the Mohicans.

:D I have received a Doomsday Notification on my "feed" that the new-but-not-improved path will be given to all in November. I have stopped Duolingo app updates back in August to prevent the path change, so I think I should be safe?... I'm just not a huge fan of a dumbed-down one-way-only learning.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

Stasia: I liked your reference to "one-way-only learning" :-) Everyone except the Learning Scientists at Duolingo should know that there are many ways.

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I had no idea you could stop the path update ! I have never had an update before.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, I also don't update the app Duolingo for the same reason as Stasia because I don't like weird changes. :(

Changes at Duolingo are always worse for us and I don't want it! :(

Have a nice day. :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

even if you don't update the app they might eventually just break the old apps (like they did with 3.106.5) so people will be forced to update

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Stasia[/mention] , [mention]Meli578588[/mention] , [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] I think the version around 4.20 (year 2019/2020 - Android, I don't know about iOS) is really the last one that doesn't support the new "One path" user interface. And, unfortunately, now this old version has a problem with saving course progress. We don't know if it will ever work.

Thank Goodness even if you already have the "One path" you can still complete the course using the skill list at https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress and then use the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" to practice. (Or https://www-internal.duolingo.com , or an old version of the app if it will work). "PRACTICE" is now also possible in the new "One path" interface, but it is very confusing.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Is there a way , I can stop the update or is it too late for that ?

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

It's too late for that. Using a several month old version seemed to cause a delay in switching to "One path". Likewise when you have completed all the courses. In a few weeks, everyone will get "One path" so it will lose its effect if any ever was.

But it's always possible to download an older version than around 4.20. If you have completed your course or if the problem with saving course progress is solved, this would also be a way.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Thank you much [mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] for answering my question. 🙂

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

Stasia wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:47 am
Explorer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:35 pm

One month after the official announcement I still have my trees and crowns intact. I feel like the last of the Mohicans.

:D I have received a Doomsday Notification on my "feed" that the new-but-not-improved path will be given to all in November. I have stopped Duolingo app updates back in August to prevent the path change, so I think I should be safe?... I'm just not a huge fan of a dumbed-down one-way-only learning.

Bad news, for me it did not take a recent update to get the new path ... however, my installation may have been newer than yours is. I hope that stopping updates does delay the update for you. The web version has not updated for me yet, so at least I still somewhat have a choice.

I have tried the new path, and whilst there are some good things about it, there are several things which I do not like/enjoy. I am diligently continuing to hopefully complete my courses even though it seems that I lost progress in the conversion.

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

Durr

Post by Durr »

I truly don’t get the purpose of this update. It screwed it over for everyone: for people who do the waterfall method, for those who do one skill to the gold at a time, and even those who are here for the game and xp farming.
I got the update today, and here’s what we have so far:

• it seems they’ve nuked the 4&5 crown levels
  • you now only do five skills at a time, and because they only have 3 levels now, people who learn quickly and used to have like 10 skills open at once will now fly through all the levels in one day, so spaced repetition is impossible now
  • scrolling takes for ever. I gave up every time I tried to scroll from top to bottom
  • you cannot find anything, because you have to click individual circles to see the name of the skill, and you don’t even know what level it is.

They could’ve just added some mini games if they want people to buy gems so much. The app is overall much less addictive now, which I suppose is a good thing for some( like me lol) but I honestly don’t get why they seem so determined to turn off as many users as possible.

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

[mention]Durr[/mention] Interesting info, thanks. You've expressed some of my fears about this new path ... spaced repetition, scrolling, names on Units, fewer crown levels (or whatever they want to call crowns now), etc. I'm always puzzled when companies change their products that are successful. I assume that the "learning scientists" must have their reasons, but isn't Duolingo one of the most successful language learning apps with it's current structure? Perhaps they aren't happy with the demographics of the current user base and want to develop a base of different users (schools?). Either way, it's got me (and I suspect others) seriously thinking of looking at other alternatives after 5 years here. Suggestions welcome if anyone is aware of an app that offers good spaced repetition.
In closing, I can't read anything about this new path structure without getting visions of Coca-Cola Classic in my head :-) After the change of Duolingo Plus to Duolingo Super, I have a bet on Duolingo Classic appearing next.

Edit: I forgot to add that you noted that the new path won't support those users who like to take a Skill to gold before moving on. Duolingo has always suggested that that was definitely not the best way to use Duolingo. However, from what I understand, the new path forces you to complete all the available learning in a Unit before moving onto the next Unit. This seems the very different to the "hover method" that the Duolingo previously suggested was the best approach.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

One note, individual skills are mixed into several units on the path. So there is a planned practice/level boost of each skill. In this way, the "hover method" is partially implemented. It wouldn't be so bad for new users/courses if it wasn't so boring.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

I received this "big change" today. It is a complete mess. I cannot repeat what I need not even in my two finished language courses, I cannot find histories for them (I had some of them already finished and some not, but now I am not able to find any of them), I am on entirely different numbers than my unfinished skills were, in courses "in progress", I used to write whole sentences in exercises and now I just choose by clicking between simple words... What shall I do? How can I get the old good Duolingo back? I am not able to learn anything in this useless mess!!!

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

:-) [mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] and all others unfortunate ones. Read, watch (1974), or listen Le Petit Prince in original or in your target language. It will lift you up from the bottom :-) I have done it right now and it works, I swear! Maybe a glass of wine will make it even better :-)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

And if you've already recovered from the shock, take a look a few posts above. I believe you'll find a suitable solution for you.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Not sure if I am in the right mind space to contribute to this, So I hope you will forgive me for if I have very long rest before responding to anything.

I see this change is very difficult to so many of us.

Including for myself.

Yet - in the bigger picture - the timed repletion to note a specific example - it is very good for the course over all. For the benefit of the learner.

Which for us, as learners, and us as assistors/guides/educator support to others - this is good news.

For others of us - for how we guide and integrate the courses to the other courses we need to follow (either as students or as educators) - it is there - that this has become .... I will say - more complicated. Change is always difficult. (in my experience)

There are though ways to take control of understanding what is being taught, and to allow integration to other learning opportunities. Including in external courses to Duolingo you may be taking/teaching.

For the French course - (pet language ;P 🐈 ) I am creating resources, along with the VERY VALUABLE input and cross checking of others - to allow this to occur. It is only possible to being valuable - due to GREAT INPUT and review by this community.

Anyway, I hear my mum say, I am not the tail that wags the dog. I need to work out how this changed form can be used to meet things of value to myself.
This is a valuable resource.
And there is some very good things that are being made available for learning other languages.
And it will always be a growing and learning journey. Just as we are. Just as our cultures are. The ever changing breaking wave of life.

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Durr

Post by Durr »

I just realized that if there’s ever a course update, the users who are already in the middle or at the end of their course will not be able to check out the new material. Without you know, restarting the whole tree, which is useless with the new layout.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

👍 Very well, [mention]dakanga[/mention]. That's it!

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

My admired [mention]Durr[/mention] , Duolingo - through its many years - when it has done multiple course updates - it does not start you off at the beginning.

And, Duolingo always has allowed you to reset your course, back to the start. Which is - I would say - quite often a good choice for someone to make.

Yet - for my main account, that I use to review course content - this is not something I do. ... mostly ... I have though also done this at times.

For me - Duolingo is not a game. It is tool.

A crutch - and even at times a guide - to enrichen my learning - or what I hope I may assist others - for their education. As a student, or an educator.

The ball - I see Duolingo has given, is in our court.

Yet - someone like I - I need to have overviews. Ways I can "hop" between the set "path stepping stones".
And I hope - to be able to give others ways to do this also - if this is of advantage to them.
Hopefully being of advantage for their acquiring this other language.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

You are right, [mention]Durr[/mention]. But, in my experience, the real language learning begins only after the course is completed. Practicing takes longer than going through the course. So you will meet all the current content. When you make the whole path legendary as the last step or when you use the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" to practice. Edit: Yes, [mention]dakanga[/mention]!

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

dakanga wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:04 am

Yet - in the bigger picture - the timed repletion to note a specific example - it is very good for the course over all. For the benefit of the learner.

Interesting overall comments, dakanga, but I'd question your reference to the quality of the implementation of "timed repetition" in the path structure. Your use of the term "timed repetition" is probably a better term than what is in common use, namely "spaced repetition", as I believe that the spacing of reviews need to be based on the time that has passed since one last practiced something. Back in the (good old) days of Duolingo's "Skill strength", this was very well implemented, based on the "Last Practiced" date in the Words list. In fact, as timed passed, the strength of a Skill would progressively decay from 100%, to 75%, to 50%, to 25%. What a great feature!
My non-hands-on understanding of the path structure is that previous content is reviewed at specific fixed points within the Units. Therefore, if you move through the path quickly, then you will be getting the review material earlier than you need it repeated, and if you move through the path slowly, then you will be getting the review material later than you needed it.
The provision of material to be repeated should be independent of the structure of the course, just as it was in the "Skill strength" days. This was also one of the flaws of Duolingo's "crack/restore" feature, since Skills were only cracked after you had reached Crown Level 5 in them. In reality, one's memory loses information even whilst going through the process of learning material it, as you move through the Crown Levels.
Did I mention that the "Skill strength" feature was an excellent implementation of what is needed ? :-)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Good points.
This is not my fight.
It is not within my control to influence Duolingo.
I will though continue to use resources that I find interesting and relevant for my learning and objectives. And not just the resources Duolingo creates.

added: It is good to use many resources to assist your learning and not just rely on one source. I find no one source effective for learning a language.

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Durr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:23 am

I just realized that if there’s ever a course update, the users who are already in the middle or at the end of their course will not be able to check out the new material. Without you know, restarting the whole tree, which is useless with the new layout.

Uh, that hasn't been the case to date. In the past, we've gotten new material, which is grayed out (or purple) in the middle of the tree and don't have to backtrack to the very beginning of the tree. My memory is fuzzy about whether we could keep going forward or had to backtrack and do the new material right away, but, once completed, we certainly had access to all the material between that point and the next skill of new material.

Plus presumably it would still be possible to test out of material you have already done and remember well.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

For those interested in how Duolingo makes choices, they have recently published :

Do people have links to other references of statements by Duolingo for how it decides to do things ?

Edited:
Also this document :

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Is there any way to get downloaded all the sentences from the old Duolingo language courses lesson by lesson before they delete the old courses completely from everywhere? I would like to have at least something to practise what I learned and go through unfinished lessons. Printed sheets of paper would not be ideal, but certainly uncomparably better than this stupid "snake", although finding someone to read the sentences for me might be quite difficult. :-(

Return to “Duolingo”