Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

g-heike
Germany

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by g-heike »

Here is an interesting article about that:

https://duolingoschools.zendesk.com/hc/ ... -near-you-

As it looks, in the medium term, the familiar with skills/learning circles will disappear. There will then be a learning path.

Preview:

liv
Norway

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by liv »

Taking the choices out of the school system. Probably not a bad thing for younger children and teachers especially if the course changes to be more linear.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Reading the text in the link and also van Ahn's announcement in the conversation with investors, it seems that this change affects everyone, so not just for students in the classroom.

The fact that teachers are already being informed of this now means that they can prepare for the changes now. But ultimately, as I understand it, this will be a general change for everyone.

I have already noticed one part of the change, I already get 3 stories displayed in my learning tree from time to time.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

I read about this on reddit. It seems... awful.

ImageSpaget-on-wheels · Op · 18 hr. ago

I beta tested this app a week ago and here are some of my thoughts.

-The tree is extremely long and the lessons are not visible and only have checkmarks

-Although the tree is long there is a button included where you can jump to your current lesson.

-you can only access the stories through the tree and they are required now.

-Still nothing to spend your gems on

-The characters are now shoved in your face so it looks like a kids app

-You can’t reread stories, if you’re done then you’re done, same with the check marked lessons

And for now this change is only for DuolingoSchools.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I hope this crap is for the mobile version only? cause if it comes to the website as well... :? 💩

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Who will see the changes and when?

This change won’t happen overnight. In fact, you likely won’t see a change yourself, unless you want to (see “Here’s where you come in” below), until late summer at the earliest. We're starting with new users on iOS in March and will slowly bring in more and more users, including those with existing Duolingo accounts and those who use Android devices or web browsers. We hope to make the transition complete by the end of the summer.

According to this, it will come to the web version too.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

I'm 8 skills away from checkpoint 10 and then I have the whole checkpoint 10 (Spanish from English tree). I'm moving everything on quizlet the fastest way I can before this hits desktop. RIP Duolingo. This will be the last straw for me.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

justheaven wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:34 pm

I read about this on reddit. It seems... awful.

ImageSpaget-on-wheels · Op · 18 hr. ago

I beta tested this app a week ago and here are some of my thoughts.

-The tree is extremely long and the lessons are not visible and only have checkmarks

-Although the tree is long there is a button included where you can jump to your current lesson.

-you can only access the stories through the tree and they are required now.

-Still nothing to spend your gems on

-The characters are now shoved in your face so it looks like a kids app

-You can’t reread stories, if you’re done then you’re done, same with the check marked lessons

And for now this change is only for DuolingoSchools.

How does this work for reviews? For problem skills that even though they are gold you know haven't mastered? Where is legendary? Can you still do it? Hopefully they'll have tips for the lessons tokens when you hover on them. DL's goal is kids so this sort of thing is great for them, but mindless for serious adult users. While the learning material won't go away applying yourself to a child's game is well not so beneficial for adult learners.

I was wondering what DL wanted to turn into that they had to remove the forums for?

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

It looks like crowns are going to disappear too (I only see the streak, gems and hearts). We'll get more cartoons instead. Great... :|

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

ARCANA-MVSA
United States of America

Post by ARCANA-MVSA »

Let me get this straight.

• You won't be able to find anything because there are no labels (except for general labels that don't really tell you anything).
  • There don't seem to be any Tips and Notes and currently sentence discussions are entirely inaccessible, so you'll have no clue what you're doing without external help.
  • Stories will be shoved in your face now. (What was wrong with letting them stay optional?!)
  • Nothing can be repeated. (I take it zero lessons were learned with regard to animations and the practice option under Level 5 crowns both.)

I was wondering why the Italian from German tree was released without Tips and Notes.

All in all, as far as I'm concerned, there is only one perk to this update, and that is the ability to skip directly to where you left off (no scrolling!). But in the face of all the other things that will be lost, what's the point?

Libavka tavda valdyavisveltsinvok

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Explorer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:45 am

It looks like crowns are going to disappear too (I only see the streak, gems and hearts). We'll get more cartoons instead. Great... :|

one day they will probably remove the language learning completely and leave just the cartoons 💩

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

Is this only a change for schools oder do they want to change it for all duolingo users? In text on their page, if I didn't miss something, they only spoke about the school variante.
If they want to spread it for all users, then it seems the gamification has achieved a new level.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

pawndemic wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 am

Is this only a change for schools oder do they want to change it for all duolingo users? In text on their page, if I didn't miss something, they only spoke about the school variante.
If they want to spread it for all users, then it seems the gamification has achieved a new level.

As I understand it from the text, teachers are only informed in advance here, because teachers still have a different view of their students and this view is based on the current learning tree. They can see how much skills each student has worked on and send them assignments. They can also see per skill the words to be learned.

So if the whole path changes, if the learning circles disappear, if there is a completely new approach, the teachers also need a new overview of where the students are when it is no longer divided into skills.

Since I have opened a classroom nice and long to work on the old grammarorient German learning tree, I can see this teacher view. I have also included another account as a student as a test. The student has the same learning tree in the same arrangement as we do. But I still see a task area on the right where the teacher can set tasks for me.

I.e. for me, we all get the changes sooner or later and the teachers can prepare for it now or as the text describes, already make inputs, what they still need as a teacher to accompany their students on this "new" path.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

It seems like a downgraded OS to me, simpler graphics and a very long, boring interface. What's the point of using this system if you can't review what you've already learned? Also, are the horrific cartoon characters going 3D here, or is that just on the home page?

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Too many major changes in my opinion.

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

g-heike wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:19 pm

it seems that this change affects everyone, so not just for students in the classroom… this will be a general change for everyone.

Do you know when we can expect this change?

bookrabbit
Great Britain

Post by bookrabbit »

Is this the real reason they got rid of the forum so that they wouldn't see our horrified expressions of dismay??

I am only still using Duolingo because I am able to avoid the animations and cartoons. They would be unbearable and that simplified format!Ughhh. Bye bye baby. Out you go. Let's keep the bathwater instead says the owl.

Language Hopper
maybe if I learn enough languages I will be able to understand people

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

verdensrommet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:28 pm

This is what I have found in the link:

This change won’t happen overnight. In fact, you likely won’t see a change yourself, unless you want to (see “Here’s where you come in” below), until late summer at the earliest. We're starting with new users on iOS in March and will slowly bring in more and more users, including those with existing Duolingo accounts and those who use Android devices or web browsers. We hope to make the transition complete by the end of the summer.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Forums for this unnecessary change? I understand bringing in things like that for children and stuff but speaking on behalf of people that ADHD, and having ADHD myself, I find this new change will be distracting, not that the cartoon characters weren’t already distracting, I honestly don’t why it’s necessary to change the Home Screen. And if it will make it more entertaining and engaging to small children more power to DL.

But, I personally think that anyone who sets their age 13+ shouldn’t get the change as I feel like some changes are more directed towards small children and it’s just absolutely shoved in your face.

Feeling like DL is going into chaos right now slowly on a path to self destruction.
(This is just my opinion)

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

LICA98 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:36 am

one day they will probably remove the language learning completely and leave just the cartoons 💩

Haha doesn’t seem possible… Oh wait now that I think about it yeah seems totally possible XD

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

g-heike wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:17 pm
verdensrommet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:28 pm

This is what I have found in the link:

Hopefully I will be done by then!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:49 pm

Feeling like DL is going into chaos right now slowly on a path to self destruction.

No, I agree and definitely feel like that's where the site is headed. I'm already starting to scope out alternatives and would recommend others do the same.

ImEatingCookies
Germany

Post by ImEatingCookies »

I just lack the imagination to understand whatever is going on there. None of it looks like an improvement in any way. What is the point of removing the emphasis on repeating lessons? I thought that's a major concept of Duolingo (and learning in general).

Currently learning: Farsi, Polish, Ukrainian

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

verdensrommet wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:04 pm
Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:49 pm

No, I agree and definitely feel like that's where the site is headed. I'm already starting to scope out alternatives and would recommend others do the same.

So...Situation Normal: Class 5 Dumpster Fire in progress? Got it. ;)

And I was going to snark about how my first account, which is shadowbanned, has been mysteriously signed up for French lessons without my awareness. :o

Image L5

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

No more legendary? I don't think crowns give you enough practice anyway! The integrated approach of harder learning content is good, just didn't go far enough.

I wonder how this will work with strengthening?

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Legendary is there.

Nukalurk
Germany

Post by Nukalurk »

Oh no, if that "change" is really implemented, then Duolingo won’t be for serious language learners anymore! :o I suspect the majority of users will abandon Duolingo altogether.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Nukalurk wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:42 pm

Oh no, if that "change" is really implemented, then Duolingo won’t be for serious language learners anymore! :o I suspect the majority of users will abandon Duolingo altogether.

Most likely so.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

This new version seems to be designed to be used in kindergartens. I wonder if Duolingo has ever thought of creating a version for adult learners because, with every update, the app has become less and less attractive to people who are serious about learning languages.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Explorer wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:11 pm

This new version seems to be designed to be used in kindergartens. I wonder if Duolingo has ever thought of creating a version for adult learners. With every update the app has become less and less attractive to people who are serious about learning languages.

Funny how they made a DL for kids and yet they are changing DL to be more kid like. There is an in between you know Duolingo.

Yeah that’s what I said in my other post. DL is now too much being focused on little children( not that’s it bad) but it would be nice to see some considerations for the more older DL users

Return to “Duolingo”