Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by MatOzone »

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

after switching to the new path you could never fully switch back to the old design and L3 is the maximum level they teach in the new path.

I think so! That makes sense, yes!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Now I'm testing English from Bengali, and it seems you are right, [mention]duome[/mention]

The "old-tree" is stuck at level 3, since the "one-path" Unit 10, while in the "one-path" I'm advancing to units 11, 12, 13.

Duome's data doesn't change since then. And I see this units are mere repetitions without anything new.

Ah! And it's far more easy the "one-path" than the "old-tree", because there are less exercises "write without tips".

This time, for testing purposes, exceptionally, I've learned to use scripts (cheats) to pass the exercises without (almost) interacting. So it will be faster to have all the 109 one-path courses described in Duome, hihihi! :D

I fully support 🇺🇦!

duome

Post by duome »

Did you ever pay attention if L3/L4/L5 are any different in the original design? L2 is definitely different but I'm not sure about the rest. We do get more (and more) typing exercises on higher levels while L1 seems to rely solely on word banks, but are there more differences between every other level and specifically L4 and L5, i.e. something that we might be losing when we're on the new path?

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I need to test it, but it's strange how Duolingo changes data from old-tree to one-path and vice versa:

At first, there seems to be a "logical relation" between old-tree and one-path: They both shows "levels/skills" at L1 level.

If you advance to L2 and L3 in the "old-tree", more levels are automatically done in the "one-path", and if you advance in the "one-path", more L1 to L3 skills appairs automatically in "old-tree".

BUT, if you advance to L4 and L5 levels... nothing changes in "one-path".
AND, if you advance to "Legendary" in "one-path", nothing changes in "old-tree".

Later, the data interchange gets odder because you can advance in both "old-tree" and "one-path", and nothing changes in the other style.

Until you finished the Legendary, either on "old-tree" or in "one-path". At this point, the other side automatically turns also to "Legendary" (but duome shows it as L3).

I'm not sure if I explained it correctly, because I'm still testing...

I fully support 🇺🇦!

duome

Post by duome »

If you don't do legendaries (if maybe things get stuck because of this), can you still get anything to an L4 in the old-tree after you try the one-path?

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

duome wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:54 pm

If you don't do legendaries (if maybe things get stuck because of this), can you still get anything to an L4 in the old-tree after you try the one-path?

Yes! I can do L4 and L5 in the old-tree. But when I switch to new-path, I don't see any change.

I fully support 🇺🇦!

CeltWhiteWillow
Canada

Post by CeltWhiteWillow »

Edited to update: I played around within the app and the browser version. I found a spot in the browser version to go back to the older view. Seems to be back to the way it was when I first updated it. Some changes but not these changes that won’t work for me. Still don’t have the August badge back but I have time to re-earn that.

————————————

I made the mistake yesterday of updating my duolingo app. I am so upset with these changes. I completed the August challenge on Aug 1st. My badge is gone. I have two weeks now to re-get the August badge with these 30 challenges. The barbell is gone from the main lesson page. So no more mistakes review, speaking and listening exercises. Reviewing lessons used to be 20 points. Now it’s 5 pts. I have a brain injury from a serious accident. I NEED to be able to review. I need to review mistakes. I need to practice speaking (I have no one in my life I can practice speaking with.) The exercises are not labelled any more. There are certain lessons I need extra reviewing but now I don’t know what’s where. And those are the only changes I have seen so far. Not happy with a single change.

ArthurCarpenter
Scotland

Post by ArthurCarpenter »

I just found out about all this today and am feeling rather crushed. I've put a lot of my time into Duolingo, and I really liked the way I could create my own waterfall method, planning everything out and then sticking to that plan (or at least trying to)! Even when the heart system came in, there was at least the consolation that it wasn't part of the web version. If I'm making mistakes in learning, say, prepositions in German then it's clear that I might need to practice my cases, but just wiping my progress with the lesson I'm attempting and forcing me to practice a load of unrelated phrases isn't exactly going to help me learn. This new path system feels even worse. I recognise it might be more helpful for young/very young learners, and potentially in classrooms (though I'm not convinced owing to the inability to practise specific topics), but for anyone who is serious about learning a language - which let's not forget is what Duolingo was originally all about - this update just removes what little control was left.

I'd encourage anyone with an android device to search the internet for either "duolingo 3.106.5 apk", or for the 4.98.4 version. If the underlying data structures don't change, and duome continues to work, then I'm pretty sure that these versions of the app should keep working too. I hate learning on a phone, but when the change to the "path" is rolled out to the web version, I think I might go down this route. I'm not sure yet. I've been learning for 1795 days (with a lost streak of 350 directly before that), but I don't know if I'm going to be able to continue any more if people who are truly invested in improving their language skills are so consistently ignored and not listened to.

Thank you all for creating such an amazing community, and it's been a pleasure to learn with you <3

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

ArthurCarpenter wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 pm

I'd encourage anyone with an android device to search the internet for either "duolingo 3.106.5 apk"

this is what I use :)

(it's available here if someone is interested)

duome

Post by duome »

Out of curiosity - why 3.106.5 or 4.98.4? I see these are the latest 3.x and 4.x versions respectively, but what was so special about them?

Bornhoffer
Norway

Post by Bornhoffer »

My app was updated today, and I am thinking of quitting Duolingo altogether.. I can't repeat my old lessons anymore. I have completed the Romanian and Latin course, so repeating was essentially what I could do there. I can't believe they did this. The web site has the old layout. I hope it stays that way.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Bornhoffer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:41 pm

My app was updated today, and I am thinking of quitting Duolingo altogether.. I can't repeat my old lessons anymore. I have completed the Romanian and Latin course, so repeating was essentially what I could do there. I can't believe they did this. The web site has the old layout. I hope it stays that way.

Today mine changed too.

Geez!

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

I only use the browser, and mine has changed too. I don't see any option to go back. I'll try to continue doing the old layout using Duome.

Last edited by EranBarLev on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Ouais. I noticed Duo took my advice and put in the capstone review for the web version. This fixed a bug that occurred when the app had the capstone review and the web didn't.

Here's more details on that bug, which you can skip reading the rest of this paragraph if you think it's a lot of who shot John. Say you had done the five lessons for a certain skill in level zero in the app, the purple level, and held off on completing the capstone review lesson. Then you went to the web and did a completely different lesson, let's say, a general Practice lesson. After completing that lesson, the web version would scan though all skills & bump anything up under the rules for the web. In my example, that would mean the level zero purple skill with five lessons complete would become a blue level. This meant that you would lose the opportunity to do the capstone review, even if you went back to the app. I'm sure people were reporting problems like this on the old forum by saying "Someone is doing my lessons."

This bug caused me to hold off doing the fifth lesson until a time where I knew I could complete the capstone review right afterwards. I always did new lessons on the app because I wanted the capstone review. Now, it seems as though I have a choice.

If you've only worked on Duo on the web, you can consider the capstone review a sixth set of questions which reviews all the material that you learned in the previous five sets of questions.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

duome wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:56 am

Out of curiosity - why 3.106.5 or 4.98.4? I see these are the latest 3.x and 4.x versions respectively, but what was so special about them?

3.106.5 is the last one with the normal design

i.e. Image instead of

and Image instead of Image

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:17 am

I only use the browser, and mine has changed too. I don't see any option to go back. I'll try to continue doing the old layout using Duome.

Me too, I never installed the app, I just use the web version on my phone and laptop.

I read here in the forum about users being changed to that new schema and though to my self, geez, so sad by them, and today when I saw my duolingo home changed I though the same than Bornhoffer.

Is super weird, days ago I ended my L5 in russian from my native language and I had plans for start russian from english, or took the reverse tree, because legendary doesn't means much to me. I mean, I find the idea of having an ending level with higher difficulty so cool, but that asking for lingots or suscribe on each new lesson is just hm. Anyways, despite that, this change makes me refocus what I'm doing here, my funny side says me 'let's try and after a while we'll see what happens' but my grumpy old side says me web sites are equal to when politicians are compared to diapers, is a good idea make a change.

Btw, you duome guys are doing a huge labor here, many many people (and sadly many valuable ones) rush from duolingo because the forums went down. What you did here was great, the response speed, the care for the users, I would wish many old users stay here to enjoy the effort you did.

Sorry for the long post. Peace!

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Update:

• I can still do the deleted stories even after I got the single path. :P Conversation mode is alive and well!
  • I've done a lesson in Russian using Duome. So I can confirm that it can still be done. While Duome shows my correct progress - level 1 (blue) for that skill, the single path shows that skill as golden.
  • The Russian single path has no tips and notes. How do they think we're supposed to learn anything this way?! :x Thanks to Duome we can still access the tips and notes.
  • In the Hebrew tree the single path shows I've lost my golden owl, while Duome shows that I still have it. :x
  • In the Portuguese single path I can't see my bonus skills. In Duome I still see them, and I can even do the legendary challenge for them! 8-)

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:12 am
  • The Russian single path has no tips and notes. How do they think we're supposed to learn anything this way?! :x Thanks to Duome we can still access the tips and notes.

I cannot possibly agree more. Why on earth are they rolling it out for every language when they clearly did not have time to have anyone properly rewrite the tips and notes?

I'm really glad to know that at least for now the duome links will work.

I'm so irritated, though, because I felt like I was actually making some progress and picking up more and more of conversations that I see people having.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Fuffff! No tips in russian, no tips in arabic, no tips in finnish, no tips in hindi, latin...

WHY, Duolingo, WHY?

I fully support 🇺🇦!

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

MatOzone wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Fuffff! No tips in russian, no tips in arabic, no tips in finnish, no tips in hindi, latin...

I forgot to mention Hebrew too.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

MatOzone wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 pm

WHY, Duolingo, WHY?

probably because they needed to add more cartoons so they had to remove the tips n notes :D

GeezerTheGeek
United States of America

Post by GeezerTheGeek »

There are a lot of folks who don't like the changes and they have posted comments on Doulingo's Facebook page. I don't mind the changes although they do narrow the learning path. What I do miss is access to all the stories. I used the stories repeatedly to help me better understand the spoken language: I would listen to the words being spoken without looking at the words on the screen. That exercise really helped me to hear the language better.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]GeezerTheGeek[/mention], I use this podcast: https://ria.ru/kak_jeto_po_russki/

Sure, I don't understand everything, too many words I don't know yet, but still it's a good way to train your ears. I listen to it at Spotify, but you don't need to use Spotify. 😉 There are similar podcast for almost every language!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

TammiP
United States of America

Post by TammiP »

Just wondering if anyone has a list of alternative learning apps for Android? I haven't got the update yet but I think I'm going to hate it. Sounds awful.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

TammiP wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:54 am

Just wondering if anyone has a list of alternative learning apps for Android? I haven't got the update yet but I think I'm going to hate it. Sounds awful.

well just download the older app version (3.106.5)

also here are some other options

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

justheaven wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:34 pm

I read about this on reddit. It seems... awful.

ImageSpaget-on-wheels · Op · 18 hr. ago

-you can only access the stories through the tree and they are required now.

-You can’t reread stories, if you’re done then you’re done, same with the check marked lessons

And for now this change is only for DuolingoSchools.

Its good to make the stories part of the main process but bad that you can't revisit them

John661162

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I'm trying to learn how the data works in the "one-path" courses, and its relationships with "old-tree".

It's really WEIRD, I can't find any logic or algorithm...

The best profiles to study are

Hawaiian from English
https://duome.eu/HawaiianTe2/progress

and

Finnish from English
https://duome.eu/FinnishTes/progress

, because there are no errors in "my data" (I reviewed it twice!), they are now in "one-path" mode and I don't change anything (not logged), and both trees show as "L3" in Duome (and gold/finnished in one-path)

https://ardslot.com/comparingtrees.png (Hawaiian)

FI from EN: viewtopic.php?t=6324
Duolingo: 23 Units // 164levels+23goals=187 levels // 856 lessons
Doume: 105/210 crowns, 35 skills, 144 lessons (Crowns are 35xL3=105)

HW from EN: viewtopic.php?t=6336
Duolingo: 24 Units // 178levels+24goals=202 levels // 889 lessons
Duome: 114/228 crowns, 38 skills, 143 lessons (Crowns are 38xL3=114)

EDIT: I add the "Italian from German" one-path, also Completed/Gold (and L3 in old-tree) and re-checked:
https://duome.eu/italiantes/progress

IT from DE: viewtopic.php?t=6379
Duolingo: 19 Units // 140levels+19goals=159 levels // 801 lessons
Doume: 90/180 crowns, 30 skills, 147 lessons (Crowns are 30xL3=90)

?

[mention]duome[/mention]

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Enzfj2
Ukraine

"path" vs "tree"

Post by Enzfj2 »

First I was offered to try the new "path" home page about a month ago, but I turned the option off through the settings. But a couple weeks ago it was only "path", and, while the option to turn it off is still available, it doesn't want to save. Sigh.

I only had 6 skills left to get my German tree to L1, but now I'm stuck somewhere in the middle of the path which is, btw, significantly shorter than the tree: it had much more than 200 skills (I don't remember exactly) and the path has just 114 units. Yes, I'm aware that 1 unit has material of 2 or 3 skills, but the general progress, judging from Duome data, is 1 skill per 1 unit, however the path forces us to get up to L3 (red).

Before the switch I had about 50 skills on L1 (blue), and the "path" skipped 14 of them, and all the rest I have to do from zero! I.e. I get no new crown for finishing a new step on the path if this step maps to the L1 tree skill. In fact I didn't lost all my crowns acquired on L1 skills, but in order to progress on the path I have to repeat them all for nothing. (And while I'm doing these L0 steps on the path, my crown counter flips back.)

My other trees, which I climbed from L4 to L5, suddenly became fully completed paths, with nothing to do except the Legendary level, which I find useless for the learning.

Thus, according to my observations, the "path" has only 4 levels: L1 to L3 (blue, green, red) and "legendary", while L4 and L5 (orange and gold) are skipped, thus discarding more difficult exercises along with a significant chunk of the tree, and all the contributors' efforts invested therein.

Meanwhile, playing with Duome progress page, I discovered a workaround: if you click a skill name which is not mapped to the "path", or at the level L3 and higher, you can do a lesson from the tree, even from the skills missing on the "path". I'm sharing this tip freely, being sure that nobody from Duolingo staff reads our forum.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

If you want to practice one specific skill, you can use the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" - https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress/ . It is even better than the skill tree and its broken skills. They never worked well.

Put your Duolingo name instead of "dalibornovy" and place this link in your browser's favorite links. (But surely you know - or you can use the link in your forum profile if it is linked). The bars in the graph are clickable. If you are logged in to the Duolingo website, you can click on one of them to start practicing. You can also choose skills from the list below. This way you can practice what you need or want, however, you cannot make a progress in the course. On the other hand, you can finish the course by jumping to the last part of the path and taking the last few steps.

However, this may only be possible with the skills you had unlocked in the skill tree. But I believe the most majority of us had the tree on at least one crown.

EDIT: See also: viewtopic.php?p=26261-well-it-happened- ... ged#p26261

This way you can complete the course and then use the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" if you agree it is better.

EDIT2: https://www-internal.duolingo.com does not work anymore, but https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress is now fully functional.. (January 2023)

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Return to “Duolingo”