Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Cifi

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by Cifi »

I think Duolingo is giving up one of its key advantages. It might have been smarter to offer more guidance to those who want it without cutting down flexibility for all others who appreciate that.

When learning in class, you would have those students who are ahead of others, keen on learning new things and at risk of getting bored with too much repetition, while those lagging behind would need a slower pace to get into a comfortable state of learning without frustration. In a classroom or any set group there's not too much a teacher could possibly do about it, just trying to balance it best as they can.

But on Duolingo as it was (or still is for some, but likely not for long), we had the chance to choose which material to work on, may it be older, well-known stuff to get positive feedback and feeling comfortable, or adding a lot of new things and switching between skills when we feel bored.

Well, they won't listen anyway.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Darvince

Post by Darvince »

Jeez, I just got this today and had no idea it was coming. I think I should start reading this forum more often. I also had no idea the end of the Duolingo forums was coming.

EN Native | ES Intermediate | RU Less than A1 :lol:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]Darvince[/mention] now you can tell us of your experience and your impression. I have been spared so far but I think not for long

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

To put my 2 cents worth in, and with my educators hat on, I think this re-standardization is good.

It has some good repetition of concepts. Which assists memory learning.

And - you can jump ahead. According to your abilities. And also what your real motivation is :
Is it to learn, or is to play a game and for kudos. What a complex and wonderful word is that - "kudos".

I continue to hope to see some better resources available to both teachers, and to motivated students - to delve deeper into topics.
edited: also - sharing of resources for "hosts" / class room activities, that they use, or that they could tap in to.
Here I am referring to : https://classes.duolingo.com/

As well as providing "off line" / class room / games people can play off line.

I see a LOT of work has happened - and across all courses - to get to this stage.

And also that there is still a LOT of work to do.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also, to put it out there, just doing what the "Duolingo course / path" tells you to do, and without at least checking out the guidelines - it will not cover all the bases. You need to learn from multiple sources. And for the sources you use - to ask questions - and go on quests to find answers to the questions - such as why do they say this, in this way ? Are there other examples of that pattern ? How can I find out more ?

You need to use multiple resources to learn a language. And seek out engagement through other ways.

Such as :

• listening to music and movies and books in your target language
  • learning about the country and culture, geography and history involved in your target language.
  • check out opportunities such as : "classes". And these may include duolingo https://classes.duolingo.com/ . But also check out others you can be engaged with.
  • for a hobby or sport , learn the names for objects, actions concerning your sport - in your target language.
  • cooking following recopies in your target language
  • try to find things that fascinate you - and do them - in your target language.
  • check out youtube, and also other internet resources that can assist your learning.
    .... perhaps people could suggest some other ideas here ...

No one resource will teach you another language. It though can help provide a structure to hang your extended learning off. This is one of the greatest things that Duolingo can also provide you.

Though from an educators point of view, it is hard to reverse engineer - to seek to study a specific concept in the maze of Duolingo courses, and how they are structured. This is one of the weaknesses of Duolingo. It seeks to be stand alone - in all I have observed of it. And it is hard to use it to re-enforce something you are learning else where, or that for your own study fascination wish to pursue.
Which also makes it difficult for teachers to use - to tie in with interests a student or a class/community may have. Or to prepare for a test on a particular topic that your class will be being tested on.

It also seems limited in providing resources to assist teachers and motivated students to study as a class on particular topics covered in "path/topic/order" that Duolingo presents topics in.

If anyone has some bright ideas of how to do that - I would be very grateful for any input on this issue / challenge.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

OKAY, after me asking this question - and then doing some seeking, I have now found out more -

And others may be interested :
viewtopic.php?p=27793-cefr-and-duolingo#p27793

I am impressed by what Duolingo is aiming to do for all its courses.

And if you are motivated student, you could also choose to enroll your self as an educator, and then make yourself a student to your educators account, and then begin to control your own tasks along this path, or to help brush up your skills - such as if you are also undertaking another class - to understand what level that class is at, or it may be an exam, is trying to focus on, and allocate activities for you to do.

If others have other insights - I would greatly appreciate their input.

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

jenneeeeefur wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Does anyone know how they matched our previous tree to this new path? I had unlocked up to unit 9 of Spanish, but still started from the beginning to get my skills to gold/legendary. I was on level 0/1 for units 4-9. Now it seems like they just made everything up to unit 9 automatically gold.

According to Duoling's blog, https://blog.duolingo.com/new-duolingo- ... en-design/ each circle on the path is one skill level, not the crown level. So, basically all the circles on the path which are colored just mean they counted that Skill 1 level as complete.

"Here’s a generic illustration of how several levels from a single skill might be spaced out in the path:
In the new path:
A level (circle on the path) is equivalent to 1 crown level of a skill
Levels from different skills are interspersed throughout the path"

This makes sense to me, because the lessons which I have done are simple simon. Wehn scrolling through the path on my phone, I see that all future skills are locked, and only the ones which are prior to the ones DL started me at are unlocked and colored (it does happen to be gold).

Since I was doing much harder exercises prior to the change, I find it a bit boring. Maybe additional skills will show up as Level 1 complete when new groups open up ... maybe not :roll:

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

dakanga wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:27 pm

And if you are motivated student, you could also choose to enroll your self as an educator, and then make yourself a student to your educators account, and then begin to control your own tasks along this path, or to help brush up your skills - such as if you are also undertaking another class - to understand what level that class is at, or it may be an exam, is trying to focus on, and allocate activities for you to do.

Does one need to have two accounts to do that?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

No you don't :D
So - Duolingo allows you administratively to be the "Educator" to yourself.
Which is also a great thing to strive for - to work as your own Educator as well.
Sort of like the idea of working on your business, not just in it.

You can use your prime account you use and sign up as an educator in

In Duolngo for Schools create a classroom in your target language.

Then back in Duolingo using your prime account, to join the classroom.

NOTE: However - at the moment - I do not see a great advantage to do that - as all you can assign a "student" is to do an XP challenge.

For with the latest update for Duolingo for schools I can not see how you can

Augment your curriculum by assigning specific Duolingo levels to your students,

ref : https://blog.duolingo.com/duolingo-for-schools/

Though I am hopeful in another update of Duolingo for Schools, that they may once again have this feature - to allow you to allocate a specific level to a student.

Yet, with the new structure of the courses, there is now a fantastic "Filters" option that greatly assist you in searching the Duolingo material to identify which levels you may be seeking to teach / reinforce a topic.

Once the level you want is identified in the https://schools.duolingo.com/ , if you click on the "guidebook" it will take you to the guidebook in Duolingo.com, and if you then press the
"← HOME" button, it will drop you at that task level - in your prime account. And you can then do that level.

However, if there is no "guidebook" for that level, it will not "jump" you to that level.
You have to identify the "Duolingo link address bar" for that level.

And use that.

For example on the French course, the first level that does not have a guidebook, for the course Duolingo has made available to me, is level 79.

Thankfully - it looks like the standards of addressing levels is standardized.

So, the link pattern for level 79 is :

https://www.duolingo.com/lesson/unit/79/level/1

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

Does anyone still have the old version and is there a way to go back to it if you have the path?

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

verdensrommet wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:44 pm

Does anyone still have the old version and is there a way to go back to it if you have the path?

I still have the old version. And considering how old my account is, I guess I'll have have to wait a few more weeks to get The One Path. :roll: I've read some people are downloading older versions of the app to get the classic tree back.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

If you want the skill tree back, log in here: https://api.duolingo.com/

EDIT: However, the api has been switched to the new path too. Only this solution remains:

viewtopic.php?p=29012-well-it-happened- ... ged#p29012

EDIT2: And this new address works: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] You're three years older than me on Duolingo. Still got the old path too! I am holding my breath. Apparently some of the course content appears to have disappeared on the new one path for Hebrew. I've just got to it, so hopefully I should be able to finish before it changes! :|

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I still have the old one as well

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

I've the old version, tho I can switch to the path if I wanted

I'm as dry as a mouse.

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

The new path (Spanish, French, don't know about the others) is really great for a complete beginner or for people who have some prior knowledge but want to start from scratch. It's thorough and implements repetition in the right time.

However, it completely sucks for existing users and for people who are looking to have more control over their lesson selection.

The main problem for existing users is that the new path breaks previous progress, because the tree can't be mapped to a path. If I had invested months of work into tree completion, I would have been furious about this change. Duolingo seems really daft about this.

Beginner-intermediates will face the prospect of having to revise known words all the time if they want to start from the beginning. I wish I could just tell Duolingo that gato or voisin are the words that I would know in the middle of the night, so there's no point in practicing them.

Overall, I'm looking forward to changes, mainly because I think units are structured better than before, although I can see why these changes are a deal breaker to many.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:01 pm

If you want the skill tree back, log in here: https://api.duolingo.com/

EDIT: However, the api has been switched to the new path too. Only this solution remains:

viewtopic.php?p=29012-well-it-happened- ... ged#p29012

For me, a click on the duome.eu/.../progress 4 weeks graph opens a practice lesson, not a new one, meanwhile a click on the skill name in the list below opens a new one.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] Yes, it is possible to finish the course with the version 3.106.5 for Android and then use the "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" graph or the list below. This way you can practice what you need or want, however, you cannot make a progress in the course.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Wow! The skill tree is still here: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:42 pm

@Enzfj2 Yes, it is possible to finish the course with the version 3.106.5 for Android and then use the "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" graph or the list below. This way you can practice what you need or want, however, you cannot make a progress in the course.

1st, I use the web version, not smartphone;
2nd, I want to progress, not just to practice, so the graph doesn't work, but the list does.
And thank you for the link to the live tree :)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] However, the list also doesn't. You can't make a progress this way.

Thank Goodness, the new link works :-)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

If the new link works for a long time, maybe Duome Admin ([mention]duome[/mention]) will update the links in the "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" graph and especially in the Skill list to https://www-internal.duolingo.com/....

And then the progress will be possible in this way as well.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:17 am

I only use the browser, and mine has changed too. I don't see any option to go back. I'll try to continue doing the old layout using Duome.

I just got hit with the one path. Can you tell you how you do this?

My duome fact page doesn't have information for all the circles. https://duome.eu/Corinnebelle/en/he

I was doing business and outer space when this happened. I feel like this threw me further along the course than I was at as far as overall knowledge, but somehow [[mention]duome[/mention] does that need updating?] some of my skills aren't colored even on Duome. How does one unlock skills that aren't colored yet or practice skills via Duome?

One thing I did find is if I click on any golden circle it opens and I get a lesson. I just have to figure out using Duolingo schools where I'm at!

Maybe you take an old word list and search for a word from a skill you want in schools and then you know where you are?

Edit: The lessons you get from hitting those golden skills anywhere in the tree are very small. But you still get XP 5 for the lesson and 5 for a perfect score. Just ignore those that are reviews. They go over the same thing again and again. No doubt good for those who are doing leagues or as a review for those who know the course. For those still learning strength is better although it seems more mixed up too!

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I am focused on expanding the resources for the French for English course.

If you want any assistance with that, I think (?) I am now more likely to be able to answer any questions and assist in finding words or topics.

You can see this work unfolding at :
viewtopic.php?p=27344-duolingo-path-ove ... its#p27344

And then information on the individual units I am producing. As at this moment I am up to 108, and will produce information up to the end, at 199 units over this week.

Then begin the work of supply even more detailed information on each unit, and cross referencing things.

If you are registered as an educator with Duolingo https://schools.duolingo.com there is quite a good filter search window that also assists in locating units that may address the topics of language you are after. I also use some other resources, that also help me interrogate the course, that I am still working on and not quite ready to share. But I am also aiming to do this. Including creating a word list for each unit - though that is far more limited than what was available with the older tree versions, and dependent on the information Duolingo permits access to (at least at the moment).

... more information to come ...

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

To jump ahead in the path,

1. go to the unit AFTER the one you want access to
  2. on the first lesson/level on the proceeding lesson/level (stepping stone), you should see a pop up option that says "JUMP HERE",
    This gives you a test challenge to get you to that spot, and you need to pass this to open the previous units.
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

However there is no "JUMP HERE" option for above the final unit. To finish the final unit a tree, you need to successfully pass each lesson/level in that final Unit.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

DaliborNovy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:53 pm

Wow! The skill tree is still here: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

Thank you! Thank you for this! I just had to unblock notifications and it let me use it. It was grey before. Now I can finish my tree!!! I am almost finished!!!

These lessons are so much better than those silly lessons from the other thing! I can do my legendary too! :D :mrgreen: :D

The Duome extension for sentences doesn't work. [mention]luo-ning[/mention]

Also since I got the new path, it seems with either course layout as soon as you use the hover hints the audio turns off. Oh and animations were on again, but I turned them off.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:06 pm

My duome fact page doesn't have information for all the circles. https://duome.eu/Corinnebelle/en/he

I was doing business and outer space when this happened. I feel like this threw me further along the course than I was at as far as overall knowledge, but somehow [@duome does that need updating?] some of my skills aren't colored even on Duome. How does one unlock skills that aren't colored yet or practice skills via Duome?

To unlock the grey skills you have to reach level 1 in the previous skills, just like it was in the old tree. You can't test the checkpoints from Duome though. But you are almost at the end of the course, so you don't have any more checkpoints anyway. It's strange that you've started "business" and "outer space" but they still look grey on Duome. Also, your "legends" skill has 0 crowns but it's coloured blue, should be purple. And your "politics" skill has 1 crown but it's coloured golden, should be blue. It looks like [mention]duome[/mention] has some inconsistencies.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

duome

Post by duome »

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:13 am

Also, your "legends" skill has 0 crowns but it's coloured blue, should be purple.

This was actually a bug, now fixed (thank you!)

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:13 am

And your "politics" skill has 1 crown but it's coloured golden, should be blue. It looks like @duome has some inconsistencies.

100% strength skills are also "golden" - guess we need a different visual representation now that no one remembers the pre-crown era skills being "golden" at 100% strength.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] :-) You are welcome. This way (https://www-internal.duolingo.com) you can complete the course. When you have the entire tree on 5 crowns, I think Duome is better. Plus, you can make Legendary level for free (if you have no lingots or less than 10). But I recommend using this address: https://duome.eu/Corinnebelle/progress , it's more current and clickable. Plus, you can use the "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" graph for practice - it's clickable too. Yes, you can't make a progress in the course using the skill list, therefore the non-five-crown skills are still the same.

[mention]duome[/mention] Have you considered updating the addresses in the Skill list to https://www-internal.duolingo.com/... ? Then the progress would be possible in this way as well, even if the user has the new "one path" already.

EDIT: It's OK now. See: viewtopic.php?p=30965-big-changes-comin ... you#p30965

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Duolingo”