Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by IceVajal »

I agree, it would be wise to have versions for small children, for the ones who love games and for people who are more seriously into language learning. But well, DL does what they think it's best for them.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Nukalurk
Germany

Post by Nukalurk »

Knowing the new design, it probably does not make any sense anymore to work towards golden and legendary owls but instead one should focus on trying to go through as many started trees as possible. :|

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

IceVajal wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:13 pm

. But well, DL does what they think it's best for them.

A whole post I could rant about DL and yet you sum it up in dish few words. So true. Well said.

Last edited by Yoong1eKangTerry on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Nukalurk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:26 pm

Knowing the new design, it probably does not make any sense anymore to work towards golden and legendary owls but instead one should focus on trying to go through as many started trees as possible. :|

Wait will they not change the started trees?

Nukalurk
Germany

Post by Nukalurk »

Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:54 pm
Nukalurk wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:26 pm

Wait will they not change the started trees?

I meant we should try to grab as much knowledge as possible now and not solidify it by trying to get legendary owls because it is likely they will dumb everything down. The new design looks as if it is directed at 5 years old children.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

[mention]Nukalurk[/mention] Yeah, I feel the same way when they announced that they would shut down the forums. Feel rushed to get old useful posts and now it’s rushing to get as many lessons we can get. But like [mention]IceVajal[/mention] said DL does what Dl wants. It won’t matter how much people dislike it we all know that DL is heading towards focusing more on small children, which there nothing wrong with that, but changing for all users is not cool. I would be perfectly fine with this change if it were only for the ones who have a class set up or who set there age below 13+.

Oh well, we will just have to let DL self destruct. They have proven that they don’t really care.

buho

Post by buho »

ah, I was thinking why were all the forums locked. I thought maybe a mod did that. what a shame to remove that feature. the least they could do was to leave it as an archive, just like spanishdict did.
I started learning on memrise but came to duolingo because their content was well structured. I guess I'll have to finish my course quickly before they push the new update and make apps with older version useless.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Eh I’ll take all the time in the world to finish because when they do that I will probably go to only using the internet as my book and guide and a few apps to help.

‘Cause once they do that I’m packing my bags and leaving DL.

eaglefin31
United States of America

Post by eaglefin31 »

I think it's a pretty good idea of groups sets of lessons, but you should be able to switch between them, not do them one after the other. This is just weird...

​Lead the sword with your body, and you will become one with it.
-Miyamoto Musashi

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

eaglefin31 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:02 pm

I think it's a pretty good idea of groups sets of lessons, but you should be able to switch between them, not do them one after the other. This is just weird...

I’ve said too much but, I would think it would be so great for those teachers who have classes. But not for all users.

dstepl
United States of America

Post by dstepl »

Back in August I decided to spend a week on each (natural) language on Duolingo, I've finished that and decided to continue with a few of the courses but if this change really is coming I'll probably start looking elsewhere. What I'm going to do now is complete the Finnish tree (I'm about halfway done now, so that'll take me three more weeks), do some more practice on the Hindi alphabet then keep working on some of the courses I can't find elsewhere like Irish and Greek, as well as Spanish, German and Chinese which I've studied in school, until I've reached the 365-day streak milestone. If this update comes before August though and I find I can't stand it, that'll be that, I'm moving elsewhere regardless. Probably Lingodeer, Babbel, or Beelinuapp.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

I know that the owl is doing what he likes, but some of this seems a bit odd. Yes, it might be a useful tool in a class room. However I believe that most students prefer to have a choice how to study if they have chosen to study on their own - and I doubt that it's the younger students who choose to pay.

What have read and understood you have no longer an option to practice a chosen skill - which is highly important in harder languages like Japanese and Chinese.

I have a renewal of my subscription in September and if I will be forced into this mindless "one-path that suits everyone" it's not likely I will continue to pay.
So now I work hard to finish as much as I can before I loose the opportunity to make my own path.

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Fnirk1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:42 pm

I know that the owl is doing what he likes, but some of this seems a bit odd. Yes, it might be a useful tool in a class room. However I believe that most students prefer to have a choice how to study if they have chosen to study on their own - and I doubt that it's the younger students who choose to pay.

What have read and understood you have no longer an option to practice a chosen skill - which is highly important in harder languages like Japanese and Chinese.

I have a renewal of my subscription in September and if I will be forced into this mindless "one-path that suits everyone" it's not likely I will continue to pay.
So now I work hard to finish as much as I can before I loose the opportunity to make my own path.

I am still upset with this change but I have been recently choosing what to touch up on and all that stuff. Oh well like you said the owl does what the owl wants. 🤷🏻 Looks like he fell off of a tree and hit his head too hard.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:17 pm

I am still upset with this change but I have been recently choosing what to touch up on and all that stuff. Oh well like you said the owl does what the owl wants. 🤷🏻 Looks like he fell off of a tree and hit his head too hard.

Well, I believe he fell off a tree long time ago- and never fully recovered...

Why else should he behave like this? :?

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Fnirk1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:23 pm
Yoong1eKangTerry wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:17 pm

Well, I believe he fell off a tree long time ago- and never fully recovered...

Why else should he behave like this? :?

He should have been more careful :|

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

To be fair, I also wonder what it would be like if I didn't know about Duolingo before, so didn't know what it looked like before, how it worked before, what features it had before, and later didn't know.

Let's say I come into contact with Duolingo for the first time in the fall of this year and then only know the then current appearance with these current functions. How far would my assessment of the language learning app differ from how it is now that I've followed the changes over the years?

I joined Duolingo at that time without knowing what Duolingo looked like before and then somehow came to terms with it. I used the advantages over what I knew before and supplemented the things I was missing at that time, such as reasonable grammar explanations in my languages, with other resources.

The problem with me only arose when I had to leave the "familiar". My flexibility is apparently not so pronounced. And it is difficult for me to lose things with which I have arranged myself, so that it works for me and over it got out the most optimal for me, then again.

But if I have no knowledge of how it used to be, then I approach it completely unbiased and see if it works. The "grief" or the "anger" about lost things I have then not, I see that what is then there and either it works or not.

Unfortunately, many of us no longer have the chance to look at this change in a completely unbiased way and rather see what is gone than what might be possible.

But it may also be that despite the impartiality due to unawareness of the previous versions, I would also come to the conclusion in the fall that this system does not work for me.

But it could be different that I adopt the system, as well as again try to take advantage of the benefits and fill the gaps with other resources, as I did a few years ago.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

g-heike wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:03 pm

To be fair, I also wonder what it would be like if I didn't know about Duolingo before, so didn't know what it looked like before, how it worked before, what features it had before, and later didn't know.

Let's say I come into contact with Duolingo for the first time in the fall of this year and then only know the then current appearance with these current functions. How far would my assessment of the language learning app differ from how it is now that I've followed the changes over the years?

I joined Duolingo at that time without knowing what Duolingo looked like before and then somehow came to terms with it. I used the advantages over what I knew before and supplemented the things I was missing at that time, such as reasonable grammar explanations in my languages, with other resources.

The problem with me only arose when I had to leave the "familiar". My flexibility is apparently not so pronounced. And it is difficult for me to lose things with which I have arranged myself, so that it works for me and over it got out the most optimal for me, then again.

But if I have no knowledge of how it used to be, then I approach it completely unbiased and see if it works. The "grief" or the "anger" about lost things I have then not, I see that what is then there and either it works or not.

Unfortunately, many of us no longer have the chance to look at this change in a completely unbiased way and rather see what is gone than what might be possible.

But it may also be that despite the impartiality due to unawareness of the previous versions, I would also come to the conclusion in the fall that this system does not work for me.

But it could be different that I adopt the system, as well as again try to take advantage of the benefits and fill the gaps with other resources, as I did a few years ago.

Well said. I was, too, thinking a few days ago that this change may, or may not, be for the better in some ways. Perhaps it’s more straight forward. Maybe perhaps you don’t get as much of a headache scrolling through looking at all the things you have to do.

And like you said with the unbiased thing. It’s almost, if not, impossible to look unbiased on things which you experience. Those of the to-come users during that era of DL may think that the way of the old system is far less superior to the new one 🤷🏼‍♂️. But I feel like every time DL takes a step “forward” they are taking two steps back every time. It’s gone from serious learning app to an entertaining learning app. But, for those who are able to comprehend a more game-ish style like that this is absolutely perfect. But if they made a choice for us to swap between the two. Then that would be a good idea.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

You are right g-heike.
We are getting used to what we have, however if a "a-one-path" structure was my first encounter with Duolingo - I wouldn't have choose this application.

I know that this system will be beneficial for some people - but I doubt I will be included.
I have until September to make my point, and I am willing to give the new system - if I get it, a chance.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Fnirk1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:22 pm

however if a "a-one-path" structure was my first encounter with Duolingo - I wouldn't have choose this application.

Yes, I don’t think I would have found that very appealing ether. However, I do wish they would have where we are able to pick our home screen if we were more serious or want more relaxed style. I didn’t say that very well in the last part of my post because I was rushing and I had something to do IRL.

But, here’s the lesson we all learned long ago or should have learned long ago. It’s that way in everything in life. But, it’s simply human nature to get too attached to things. Even the slightest bit. Though there are those who have a better time coping with change and there are those who do not. I am one of those who absolutely hate any kind of change and have a very very difficult time adjusting to it.

In conclusion for those who are or might stay after this change happens the only thing we can do is realize DL takes 0% input from their users and does what they want. As long as we realize that we will be able to somewhat mentally prepare ourselves for their future changes to the system.

As for me. I cannot say if I will stay or leave DL after this change. Perhaps I will give it a go.

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

The main problem of duolingo in the commercial part, I have always seen a very crooked "Plus mode". A lot of flaws, even how many days are left, are not shown, in fact, this mode does not give anything special. As if whoever did it, didn't really want the money). Maybe all these changes are going in this direction, but it's all done so terribly crooked, that the effect will be reversed. There is a complete feeling, that the one, who is doing this, does not understand, at all, what he is doing. And it doesn't look like, he's listening to any sense.
Personally, I made a list of everything I want to finish and distributed it for two months. It turned out a little. Still didn't plan to become a polyglot. It would be nice, if someone who would be in the know, would inform about some more or less accurate dates of this....madness.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

ARCANA-MVSA wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 am
  • You won't be able to find anything because there are no labels (except for general labels that don't really tell you anything).
  • Nothing can be repeated.

We can do these things from Duome. Will that change affect Duome too? [mention]duome[/mention]

There are also [mention]dakanga[/mention]'s skill lists for French. Maybe we should start preparing such lists for every course.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thank you for this mention my admired friend EranBarLev.

This is all news to me. Thanks for beeping me.

I am still trying to get my head around this - and the impacts from learning and teaching where I am from.

How does one use Duolingo to help teach the curriculum you are teaching in class, or that motivated students are learning in class ?

I more than still think I am not understanding what they are doing. I am sure I do not understand.

If you see a student struggling in a learning concept, how can you help direct them on the this service of Duolingo, to complement concepts you are seeking to be helping them with ?

How do you use Duolingo to complement concepts you are seeking to teach to an entire class. And to monitor who may have successfully grasped these concepts ?

I am sure I am missing things.
And I am not sure how to help bridge between what as a teacher, and also as a motivated student, how you bridge between these concepts and use Duolingo to assist in this learning.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

I understood the text in the link https://duolingoschools.zendesk.com/hc/ ... -near-you- to mean that the Duolingo school team would like to discuss that with the teachers who use Duolingo:

What does this mean for Duolingo’s teachers?

If there are no longer Skills, what will happen to Skill assignments? What information about a curriculum will teachers be able to see, and how will they see it? The truth is that we don’t know everything yet, and we want you to help us make decisions that will create the best experiences for you and your students.

Here’s what we do know

1. You’ll be able to view and search the content that your students will be learning in a course.
  2. You’ll be able to view individual student and class activity and, because that activity will exist within a linear path, you’ll > have the ability to compare activity between students and relative to the course overall.
  3. You’ll still be able to see insights about students’ performance, such as XP earned and time spent learning.
  4. You’ll still be able to create XP assignments.
mog86uk
Great Britain

Post by mog86uk »

↓↓↓ Copy-paste of a reply I wrote on reddit ↓↓↓

Reddit user AlwaysFernweh wrote:
From my understanding this is only for DuolingoSchools and not actual Duolingo BUT, take that with a grain of salt. It was an article I read for DuolingoSchools

I know that article is in the Duolingo for Schools help centre. However, seeing the title of that article being "Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!" and then at the bottom of the article it saying this:

Things are going to change a lot, and quickly. That goes for the new Duolingo home screen and the new version of Duolingo for Schools that works with the home screen changes.

To me, that sounds like "the new Duolingo home screen" that the article is all about is something separate to "the new version of Duolingo for Schools that works with the home screen changes". Definitely sounds to me like this new home screen is going to be for actual Duolingo, not just DuolingoSchools.

Scarily, it sounds like they're saying even the website is going to change to this awful new home screen:

We're starting with new users on iOS in March and will slowly bring in more and more users, including those with existing Duolingo accounts and those who use Android devices or web browsers.

I really hope you are right though.

Edit: Also, here in the recent quarterly earnings report, Duolingo CEO Luis von Ahn said the following about the Duolingo app in general:

As we move into 2022, we will continue building upon this momentum. We are planning to introduce an entirely new design of the Duolingo app home screen that we believe will further drive user engagement.

But then again, in the very next sentence he said this:

We will continue making Duolingo more social with features that allow learners to interact with each other.

...even though, when he said those words, Duolingo were currently in the process of removing the main social feature it had — the discussion forums. So who knows what's actually true!

a.k.a. testmoogleNative: 🇬🇧:england:Learning: 🇯🇵

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

I read the report a few weeks ago and as I understood van Ahn, he already refers to things as social interaction where learners can congratulate each other on a milestone.

So I think maybe some other events will be built in where you can congratulate someone or encourage them to keep at it with given phases. My imagination goes so far that it might be possible to challenge someone to an XP/lingot duel in addition to the leagues. So more the playful kind.

But there probably won't be any real independent social interaction, that's history.

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

g-heike wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:03 am

Legendary is there.

Really?!? Removing all crowns except Legendary, for what reason? What is so good about the Legendary crown? Of course, I have not attempted them, and will not, due to personal vision issues which make timed exercises impossible.

Thank you for all the information!
sandygaletoo

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

Fnirk1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:22 pm

You are right g-heike.
We are getting used to what we have, however if a "a-one-path" structure was my first encounter with Duolingo - I wouldn't have choose this application.

I know that this system will be beneficial for some people - but I doubt I will be included.
I have until September to make my point, and I am willing to give the new system - if I get it, a chance.

Yes, Fnirk1, I agree with you that "a-one-path" structure as a first encounter would not have inspired me to choose the application. I am not saying that I will definitely give up on DL. Whenever it arrives, I will give the new system a valid test (of the new system and my own ability to adapt).

Thank you!
sandygaletoo

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

sandygaletoo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:24 pm

Legendary is there.

Really?!? Removing all crowns except Legendary, for what reason? What is so good about the Legendary crown? Of course, I have not attempted them, and will not, due to personal vision issues which make timed exercises impossible.

sandygaletoo

Like the other crown levels, Legendary is not crown-dependent, but you get a crown for working through it so far.

Legendary means that you have to solve the given tasks without any tools and with the keyboard, and you are allowed to make a maximum of 2 mistakes.

All this can also be implemented on a linear path. What Legendary is good for, you ask, is to test yourself to see if you've mastered what you've learned well enough to solve tasks without help or a word bank.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

sandygaletoo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:24 pm

Legendary is there.

sandygaletoo

They don't have timed practice anymore these days. It does cost lingots though and you can only make 2 mistakes before you lose.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

g-heike wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:13 pm

Like the other crown levels, Legendary is not crown-dependent, but you get a crown for working through it so far.

Legendary means that you have to solve the given tasks without any tools and with the keyboard, and you are allowed to make a maximum of 2 mistakes.

All this can also be implemented on a linear path. What Legendary is good for, you ask, is to test yourself to see if you've mastered what you've learned well enough to solve tasks without help or a word bank.

Thank you g-heike for the good explanation :)

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

Return to “Duolingo”