Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention]
100% strength skills are also "golden" - guess we need a different visual representation now that no one remembers the pre-crown era skills being "golden" at 100% strength.

I know what you mean! :)

This was actually a bug, now fixed

Thanks for fixing it.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] I just figured out that you can use the names of the skill and put them into the link bar at the top and it will switch it to that skill at the level you are at. I just got another legendary lesson for the first skill. I wonder if that would give me XP. Try it for your tree. I think you can access the whole tree this way. The code for numbers is - between them and the word. i.e. https://www.duolingo.com/skill/he/Letters-1/37

I think this is a better solution than using internal.duolingo as this will link to Duome sentence discussions through the extension.

I know you used to be able to access individual lessons this way for awhile after they went from crowns to strengthen. I did not know you can access skills this way still.

Sorry for double posting. I don't know if I merge this with the previous one if [mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] would still get a notification? [mention]duome[/mention] I know once you edit something any new mentions you put on won't be activated.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Yes, but if you already have the "one way" engine, you have to use the new URL e.g. :

https://www-internal.duolingo.com/skill/he/Letters-1

to make a progress in a non-five-crown skill. (You don't have to put the /number at the end, it will be added by itself). If you use https://www.duolingo.com/... for a non-five-crown skill, you will complete the lesson but without any progress.

For a five-crown skill, you can use both (https://www.duolingo.com/... and also https://www-internal.duolingo.com/... ) - and this will trigger the Legendary level. Yes, you will get XPs and Legendary progress as well. If you have already spent all lingots, it's free.

For practicing, you can also use both URLs , the extension is e.g. : ... /skill/he/Letters-1/practice . It is suitable for Legendary skills.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] Okay, so I click on a skill via Duome's links next to each skill, when I finished the skill, it put me on the one path. I then checked on internal-duolingo.com and it registered my progress. Do you mean Duome won't register my progress on the statistics board? I don't absolutely have to have my progress up there. Just as long as get it finished. I suppose I will need to use the internal one to progress to new skills.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Well , I just lost my league , even though I was in the Diamond as of Sunday & Monday. They dropped me down to Bronze. I lost all my “Top thingiemagigs ‘“. No idea why. For whatever reason , they erased all my progress.

This happened on Saturday and hours later it came back. Now , it’s gone again. I guess for good.

Bunch of malarkey ! I can only imagine for the ones that have been paying for Duolingo and they strip what they have been paying for. !

Not the end of the world , but I guess they made my decision for me , going forward.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] Sorry to hear that! :( Keep going forward and don't give up! :)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] ,
Thank you. Very nice of you ! Thanks for the encouragement , too. 🙂🦋

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Sending thoughts of support out to you Mel.

For the loss of the vagaries of what can happen with with the Duolingo system
I do have a couple of suggestions of how to inform Duo of this, and I would like to really encourage you to follow this up through one or all of these channels. Unfortunately it is 3 in the morning here and I am bed bound. and not able to share with you these links until tomorrow *later in my day)

/Hang in there and I suggest you consider that the things you mention are just the bells and whistles of the duo learning system that manipulates gaming theory to get you hooked to do things.
the real thing they can not take from you, what you have really learned that has helped you learn something worth while. another language/

I send you hugs of support and remain here as your real life cheer squad for your learning. and hope to continue to hear of your real progress, and continue to be inspired by your engagement in teal learning

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

off the top of my head there is an email address to write to duo by. and i have more to tell you about that.
the duolingo on facebook, and then the duolingo discord group, and then duo twitter suggestions.
i will be back in contact.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]dakanga[/mention] ,

Wow , thank you so much for your support. 🙂 I really appreciate it!

I have learned so much on Duolingo.

I still have a bit to go on my French tree. I can read so much now and write .( Reading is easier. ) I understand a lot , as well in that language when listening to it. I have a few French ,vocabulary books and I just bought a history novel.

Greek Course , I was hoping to finish before the new path hit me , too ! It’s shorter. Thought we would have more time. Guess not. !
I’m doing Spanish and brushing up on my Italian.
Those are my main courses. ( I dabble in Japanese , German & took up Polish because of some lovely people in here. ) Slow going , in the last two.

Thank you , Dakanga for the “bells and whistles “ comment. I believe you are correct.

I will be back when you have time -and will follow your advice and directions of help.

I think holding steady ,since I joined , pushed me a bit every day, as crazy as that sounds.

Thanks again , too [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

If you have an issue with anything about Duolingo, the avenue I would recommend is :

Advice from :

and especially

Though to connect with other communities, and on sites that are monitored to some extent by Duolingo, check out :

To note, Duolingo also supports Duolingo for schools in an interactive way on Facebook.

But this is not a space for those that are not Educators, but I mention this for those to whom this is relevent.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:12 am

@DaliborNovy Okay, so I click on a skill via Duome's links next to each skill, when I finished the skill, it put me on the one path. I then checked on internal-duolingo.com and it registered my progress. Do you mean Duome won't register my progress on the statistics board? I don't absolutely have to have my progress up there. Just as long as get it finished. I suppose I will need to use the internal one to progress to new skills.

You are right! They fixed it! About two weeks ago. I believed it was just a bug related to switching to the new Duolingo.

OK, [mention]duome[/mention], no need to update the Skill list URLs anymore. It is now possible to make progress clicking on the Skill list. So, we have no problem :-) , even if the https://www-internal.duolingo.com/ stops working.

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] , the progress is correctly saved in the main Duolingo database and is visible on Duome ( e.g. https://duome.eu/Corinnebelle/progress ) as well. (Other users will put their Duolingo name instead of "Corinnebelle").

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Thank you very much 🙂🦋 [mention]dakanga[/mention] ,

I will try a few of those. The bug report never works for me. I tried twice before . I will try again , however.

I had a sweet, small friend’s list going , too. We were all congratulating each other. That’s a tad off putting now , considering I lost touch with a few and we were still staying in touch there.

Thanks again for the support and help. Much appreciated.

Anywho , as you said , and Corinnebelle , I have come too far to quit my studies.

I text now in French to family members who speak it .:)
Others are getting a kick out of it and have now asked me to keep texting in French . They want to pick up a few words !

The nice thing is , I can keep using Duolingo and Duome ! Am enjoying this site and the people !

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Meli578588 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:39 am

Well , I just lost my league , even though I was in the Diamond as of Sunday & Monday. They dropped me down to Bronze. I lost all my “Top thingiemagigs ‘“. No idea why. For whatever reason , they erased all my progress.

Are you surely on your account? What is your Duolingo name? How does it look on Duome? I know you are experienced, but almost every time we had a similar problem in our community, they found they were on an old forgotten account or on a family member's / friend's account. In unexplained cases, the support helped. I definitely recommend changing your password and using a strong one. I assume you do not use any add-on to make Duolingo easier.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Hi [mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] and thank you for your response.

I only have one account. I don’t use add Ons , correct. I checked my Duome account. I Iook the
Same name ….
It happened on Saturday. All of a sudden I was doing lessons and it slowed .. I noticed around that time , My streak was gone , my league said Bronze and all little Top3 disappeared. Few hours later, it was back. Then on Tuesday, same thing, except my streak came back only. I’ve been having some glitches lately and they seem to just stay , instead of coming back.
I really appreciate your feedback with Dakanga and Corinnebelle’s.

I don’t get why my streak came back this time , yet the rest disappeared. As of 3 months ago , I can’t even see myself in a league , But, I know I am in one because it will tell me where I finished on Sunday night.
Sounds like a bunch of glitches that just are permanently stuck, I guess.

Someone mentioned they had a brief problem with a glitch in a league, on Sunday , but it fixed itself.

Goofy app !
Geeze , hope they don’t lose all my lessons next .

On a pleasant note , once a minor problem can’t be fixed , I tend to get over it quickly. 🙂

Thanks all for your time and help.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

From the things I have seen happen through time through all sorts of companies as well, it is not that rare for unusual things like this to occur.

And yes, very odd and makes no sense.
Again - something not unusual in my limited comprehension.
And from Duo, to expect it will be reasonably unusual to get an explanation.
Yet in my experience, all bug reports are sorted through by some people at Duolingo. Though it can take some time.

Yet despite all sorts of issues I might have, I still respect what Duolingo is continuing to do.
And especially - continuing to make the resources it is choosing to provide to be so for free to use,
And that it continues to allow communities such as this to also copy and expand on the resources it provides.

I also hope that we continue to be a vibrant, diverse, engaged and supportive community. That we will also continue on regardless of what Duolingo does. To seek to continue to support language learning, and also other learning perhaps - of the next important issue to my heart - that of supporting maths learning. Especially from the beginning steps to the end of primary school level (from an Australian perspective ;P )

Know that you are very welcome here. I hope you will remain in our diverse community of people from all around the world and different cultures.

Insieme - Together

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Agreed ! I will file my bug report and see what happens. 🙂

These are computers , after all. These things happen.
Duolingo is supporting people and helping them learn English and all languages, as you stated so eloquently..

You showed videos of them helping with mathematics, too.

So all and all , they are helping the world to “learn “ and that’s what is important ..

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also to mention, the advise by DaliborNovy may be useful to others, even though it does not cover your situation.

I respect the valued advice DaliborNovy does share in support of our community.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] One thing I noticed with trying the internal.duolingo, it will not let you do characters. You need to use the one path for that. I really appreciate being able to access the lessons through the old system. I don't like all those cartoons on the new path. I can get in a good day's learning this way. The new path is good for those learning from the beginning, for those part way through with their own system not so good. And those tiny review lessons! I guess fun on a mobile, for a game, but not for a serious learner.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

I really appreciate all the kind words here. You are very nice people. Thank you.

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] If you use an app, consider using the web, at least for a while until they debug the "new path" engine and all the compatibility. Try logging into the web, how does it look there? If it is OK, reinstall the app (with wiping the data and restarting your device).

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Yes, I agree. But one thing, I don't get what you meant "it will not let you do characters" . Maybe I'm using a different word for it.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention]

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. 🙂
Yes, that’s me with the guitar. Appreciate it. !

Thanks 🦋 all.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] Characters are the extra lessons at the top for some languages with different writing systems to Latin. i.e.

characters.jpg
characters.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 154474 times

I guess they call them Letters now.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] Oh so, Letters, thanks. I'm a bit overworked again :-)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I text now in French to family members who speak it .:)
Others are getting a kick out of it and have now asked me to keep texting in French . They want to pick up a few words !

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] Wow! You're doing well there! Congratulations! :idea:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Thanks so much [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] , it’s my target.

I just picked up a novel to try and read it. 🙂 It’s By , Honoré de Balzac.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Meli578588 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:59 pm

Thanks so much @Corinnebelle , it’s my target.

I just picked up a novel to try and read it. 🙂 It’s By , Honoré de Balzac.

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] wow, good luck with you language learning and keep furthering your knowledge! :)

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Thank you [mention]Yoong1eKangTerry[/mention] ,
How nice of you. 🙂Good luck with your language journey , as well.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Meli578588 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:49 pm

Thank you @Yoong1eKangTerry ,
How nice of you. 🙂Good luck with your language journey , as well.

Thank you :)

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Meli578588 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:57 pm

@Corinnebelle , @dakanga @DaliborNovy & @Yoong1eKangTerry ,

This morning , part of my Diamond league came back. It’ showed I was still in bronze , but my top three jazz came back. I did a bunch of lessons in Greek and wahla ! ( It threw me back up to the Diamond league !). :)

This may happen again and hopefully it will fix itself. If not, I’ll file a big report or just keep trucking’ in my language studies without a league.

Eventually , something will give and I’ll lose my streak , etc. just from life itself.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciated the replies. 🙂🌻

Side note. : I spoke to someone this morning saying , I would like pink rice , please and thank you. I taught them how to say “thank you and please in Greek. Their reply was , “ How about pink Himalayan salt on the rice , instead!” Funny !

That’s so strange that it put you back in bronze league. Glad you got put back into the diamond league!

Return to “Duolingo”