Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Learn 2000 words…

Jetdriver
Great Britain

Learn 2000 words…

Post by Jetdriver »

…is the next goal and it turns out that there are only 1929 unique words in the Polish course. What kind of lame programming results in not even being able to fulfil the app’s own goals?!

Also, not much posting going on in this sub forum???

Native: 🇬🇧 Learning: 🇵🇱

ImEatingCookies
Germany

Re: Learn 2000 words…

Post by ImEatingCookies »

Duolingo trees are not all the same. While some language trees like Spanish or Dutch will keep you busy with maybe around 7 units, smaller ones often don't have more than 3 units. For example, the Ukrainian course is even smaller than the Polish one. This is the case with most of the courses on Duolingo. So, yep, you cannot earn all the badges with Polish. There are lots of discussions around badges and the size of different trees, but don't expect any new content. At least there is a lot of learning material for Polish (in comparison to even small and less popular languages).

Currently learning: Farsi, Polish, Ukrainian

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Jetdriver wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:03 pm

Also, not much posting going on in this sub forum???

Feel free to fill it up. :) I don't know how many learners made the transition from Duolingo to here, but they might be waiting for someone else to start writing.

Anyway. I have a deep admiration and appreciation for those who try to learn Polish. As a native speaker, I can always answer whether a sentence is correct or not... but usually I cannot explain why. :lol:

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

sgperp
Poland

Post by sgperp »

Thank you!

I am a new learner and am a bit disappointed in the "Duolingo Polish Learners" FB group. I posted a question about flashcards for the Duolingo Polish course and got several comments implying that Duolingo is useless, and asserting that the only path to learning Polish is to hire a "qualified teacher."

I am going to try to use Duolingo for a year, make flash cards, and take a community college course in the Fall.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

sgperp wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:15 pm

I am going to try to use Duolingo for a year, make flash cards, and take a community college course in the Fall.

That sounds like a good plan ;). It will be great if you can share your experience and tips regarding flashcards and the course itself. You are welcome to ask any language related questions too.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

If you want to use a flashcard app, take a look at ReWord. They cover the basic vocabulary and you can make your own flashcards. It might save you some time and you get audio with the preset.

I use it for Russian and was just lucky that they had a sale at that time and offered my lifetime subscription for 3,49€, so I don't know what the free version offers.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

eI000yo

Post by eI000yo »

Thank you!

I am a new learner and am a bit disappointed in the "Duolingo Polish Learners" FB group. I posted a question about flashcards for the Duolingo Polish course and got several comments implying that Duolingo is useless, and asserting that the only path to learning Polish is to hire a "qualified teacher."

Unfortunately the FB group is most likely not wrong.
From more than 1.3 Billion accounts, active ones are under one hundred million. And probably only ten million are doing more than one lesson a day. So maybe you could be one of this 1% who benefits from the app.
Of course, you may get lucky and DL works for you.
Flash cards and Duolingo are both SRS (Spaced Repetion). Can be useful but most of the time you should use your TL: read graded books, watch videos with and without subtitles, learn phonology and phonetics, write on forums, etc.
You approach is not important, but your engagement and motivation.

Welcome to Duome! BTW.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

That sounds like a good plan. This way, you will already have some basics covered when you start the class.

And when you feel stuck, just ask here. Our Polish-speaking group is small but friendly. :)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Return to “Questions and answers”