Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Redundant sub-forums for general discussions?

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

g-heike
Germany

Redundant sub-forums for general discussions?

Post by g-heike »

Maybe I see it wrong, but on the one hand there is the forum "Languages - I speak" which is probably modeled after the general Duolingo forums?

Then there are the language forums with the sub-forums for the offered learning languages from this language, as an example the forum German with the sub-forums for the learning languages English, French, Italian and Spanish.

In the German forum (here only as an example) you can address general topics that are not specific to the learning language and in the individual language learning forums, the topics that relate to this language, so for example topics that relate to the learning language Spanish in the sub-forum Spanish.

So in the Languages forum I see "German" as a general forum and under the flag German also a general forum German.

Even more redundant becomes with the language English. There we have under Languages, the English forum, we have Random Thoughts and Discussion in English and we have under the English flag the general forum English with the various sub-forums for the languages offered.

Or do I just have a wrong view on this?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

pawndemic
Germany

Re: Redundant sub-forums for general discussions?

Post by pawndemic »

Finally someone else noticed this as well:. I already wrote 5 weeks ago, for example (there must be more):

pawndemic wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:14 pm

But wouldn't be better if these subforums take higher place in the hierarchy?
It seems redundant to put this in every Language From X forum, because we want to ask all natives.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

We are aware of this issue. The Duome team is already thinking of different ways to simplify the current forum structure.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Maybe they should group all the German forums in one place. Don't have an English forum except for Discussions and random thoughts or however they want to do it. The only thing is if people are learning English that may be a mix-up. Unless it just goes in one forum like it did in Duolingo.

The only thing is that Random Thoughts and Discussions are under Duolingo. Which gets even more confusing what should and shouldn't go there.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

In my opinion the right place for the subforums Culture, Language, Practice and Ressources is the language Forum itself not the subforums of the courses.
Therefore the title "I speak …" is a little bit misleading. General language topics should not distributed all over the place. Maybe "I speak or I want to speak …"
If it needed than we can establish a subforum "here only in language X". I think the wordreference forum does it this way.

To put all this in the english courses is a little bit artificial and some English speaking people complained about my Spanish practice thread there.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

I'm only staying with the German offer now as an example:

Intuitively I go to the German flag, write posts that do not relate directly to a language directly in the main forum and all topics that relate directly to a language in the respective language-related subforum:

Clicking on the German flag icon results in the following image:

Explanation of the picture: Above are the language subforums and below is the cross-language area for general discussions

So the subforum "German" in the forum "Languages - I speak" would actually be superfluous?

Or in other words, I would take out the "I speak" completely and post, directly under the main forum from which the languages offered then depart.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Am I seeing this correctly, there are now 4 English forums? But now it needs a guide to know which topics belong where?

I think the more redundant it gets, the more confusing it is.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]g-heike[/mention], I think [mention]duome[/mention] is currently in the process of rearranging things. So it needs to look more chaotic before it starts looking better. :D

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

duome

Post by duome »

It's not easy. Hold on ;)

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Okay, I see, thanks for your effort.

g-heike
Germany

Thank you duome for the reconstruction

Post by g-heike »

As I wrote my topic, I don't know, that my thoughts would fall on a fertile ground. That duome immediately work on a reconstruction, that has surprised me. So I would like to thank you duome for the great work!

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Thank you duome for the reconstruction

Post by Basler Biker »

g-heike wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:17 pm

As I wrote my topic, I don't know, that my thoughts would fall on a fertile ground. That duome immediately work on a reconstruction, that has surprised me. So I would like to thank you duome for the great work!

Can you check the "Ich spreche Deutsch" + subforums, and "I speak English => learning German"
Let us know if anything needs to be fine-tuned

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

that my thoughts would fall on a fertile ground

We're on duome here, no longer DL ;-) here it all HAPPENS, but give [mention]duome[/mention] and the other people working on the structure some time... ;-)

I know that technically it wasn't an easy thing in order not to forget anything, on the other hand it was just a lot of clicking, and we're not fully done yet. The system did not help us to work with multiple people at the same time without walking in the other's way...

But overall shape can already be admired. Look good

(BB edited 26-3-2022 11:37 UTC+1 to reflect better the current situation)

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

g-heike wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:17 pm

:lol: It has been "in the works" for a few days. What can I say, except for: Great Minds Think Alike. ;)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

It has been "in the works" for a few days. What can I say, except for: Great Minds Think Alike.

In German we say in a self-ironic manner: "Zwei Doofe (Dumme) ein Gedanke" :-)

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:24 pm

We're on duome here, no longer DL ;-) here it all HAPPENS, but give duome, and MatOzone (and me) some time... ;-)
It wasn't an easy thing, and we're not fully done yet. But overall shape can already be admired.

Many thanks to you all. It looks good, at least for me :-).

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:22 pm

Can you check the "Ich spreche Deutsch" + subforums, and "I speak English => learning German"

I wrote it quickly in German:

Im Forum "Ich spreche Deutsch" können die ersten sechs Themen, die direkt unter dem Hauptforum stehen, nach meinem Empfinden in das Unterforum Diskussion verschoben werden. Das Thema Anleitung als FAQ-Sticky im Diskussionsforum. Wortlisten würde ich erst mal so stehen lassen, weil noch mehr Unterforen macht das ganze zu unübersichtlich.

Bei dem "Learning German" Forum ist eine andere Struktur, das ist so okay, aber das werden sicherlich die Deutschlernenden besser beurteilen können.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

g-heike wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:44 pm
Basler Biker wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:22 pm

Im Forum "Ich spreche Deutsch" können die ersten sechs Themen, die direkt unter dem Hauptforum stehen, nach meinem Empfinden in das Unterforum Diskussion verschoben werden. Das Thema Anleitung als FAQ-Sticky im Diskussionsforum. Wortlisten würde ich erst mal so stehen lassen, weil noch mehr Unterforen macht das ganze zu unübersichtlich.

Bei dem "Learning German" Forum ist eine andere Struktur, das ist so okay, aber das werden sicherlich die Deutschlernenden besser beurteilen können.

Sollte jetzt in Ordnung sein.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Basler Biker wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:04 pm
g-heike wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:44 pm

Sollte jetzt in Ordnung sein.

We built a digital Tower of Babel and I LOVE IT! :lol:

Julian_L.
Argentina

Post by Julian_L. »

duome wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:28 pm

It's not easy. Hold on ;)

About the Esperanto and Indonesian forums:

• When talking about the Esperanto language in Esperanto, its name is capitalized: Mi parolas Esperanton
  • I think it should be "Saya berbicara bahasa Indonesia", with "bahasa" in lowercase (example from the Indonesian dictionary).

:argentina:N :it: Image

Return to “Requests new Duome features”