Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

365 days! A few thoughts.

Tikvah_18

365 days! A few thoughts.

Post by Tikvah_18 »

One year on Duo, yay me! :lol:

Along this year I found that Duo is:

:D exceedingly good at refreshing older knowledge, like my once very good but for years neglected French, and my completely forgotten Latin I hadn't touched since Uni;

:) very good at helping me navigate languages with a similar structure to my own native Portuguese (Spanish and Italian classes are a breeze);

:? not very efficient at a really from scratch language and alphabet (Hebrew remains an elusive dream). Of course, it's possible that a completely new language just requires more effort... I'll be looking into it, and adding other resources.

8-) Here's to another year, more languages and, hopefully, a breakthrough in Hebrew! :lol:

Finally, a huge thank you to everyone that has been working to give us this home after Duo closed the Forum!

Attachments
duo2.png
duo2.png (76.65 KiB) Viewed 327 times

Native :portugal:ㅤFluent :uk: :fr:ㅤFocusing on :es: :israel:Duolingo levels

Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom. ~ Roger Bacon

Corinnebelle

Re: 365 days! A few thoughts.

Post by Corinnebelle »

Mazel tov Tikvah on your 1 year streak!

Hebrew is one of those harder languages to learn, but with effort it can be done. I would recommend starting with a primer as well as taking the characters on Duolingo. The other thing is to use some flashcards with audio to supplement your Duolingo course. People also use Forvo to listen to the words. The Duolingo Hebrew course poses a few challenges due to lack of TTS. This means you cannot hear individual words. Also there is no setting to slow down the recordings. Someone who is an intermediate Hebrew speaker said she still can't understand half of what the lady says in spite of years of studying Hebrew. To me it is spoken quickly but for you speaking Portuguese it may not be that bad. There are some advantages to the lack of TTS, no animations and authentic accents. Although I thought the German was pretty good before the new voices even though it was TTS. Google has now introduced Hebrew TTS so whether they will ever update the course with that, I don't know.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Tikvah_18

Post by Tikvah_18 »

Thank you Corinnebelle. I do think I need a more organised approach to Hebrew. That's one language that would probably benefit from a foundation course. Right now I must do with free resources so it's been difficult. It'll get better! :)

Native :portugal:ㅤFluent :uk: :fr:ㅤFocusing on :es: :israel:Duolingo levels

Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom. ~ Roger Bacon

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Tikvah_18 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:43 pm

Thank you Corinnebelle. I do think I need a more organised approach to Hebrew. That's one language that would probably benefit from a foundation course. Right now I must do with free resources so it's been difficult. It'll get better! :)

בהצלחה! Good luck!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Achievements”