Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The 2021 additions to English dictionaries (article)

IceVajal
Germany

The 2021 additions to English dictionaries (article)

Post by IceVajal »

Words which been added to dictionaries in 2021. These words found their way into daily life and now into the dictionaries. Actually some I haven't come across yet.

https://matadornetwork.com/read/word-di ... ions-2021/

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Corinnebelle

Re: The 2021 additions to English dictionaries (article)

Post by Corinnebelle »

Those capsule hotels look awfully tiny! I think those things would be handy in a airport where you could have a nap for a couple of hours.

Doomscrolling sounds like a thing these days.

Amirite is almost the word Amorite, a nation of ancient Palestine.

Quite interesting how the dictionary has to keep up with the times, versus having the dictionary being the rule of speech!

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I found it pretty interesting and some I knew, others I never heard of.

Yeah,VA capsule hotel at airports or big stations might be useful. Also at some big trade fairs it would be of use for a nap.

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

IceVajal wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:24 am

Words which been added to dictionaries in 2021. These words found their way into daily life and now into the dictionaries. Actually some I haven't come across yet.

https://matadornetwork.com/read/word-di ... ions-2021/

Ha, great! I think I'm going to have a fluffernutter to get away from all this doomscrolling... 8-)

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Actually I know fluffernutter for almost 30 years, so that one was a surprise for me!

Dovili22
United States of America

Post by Dovili22 »

Thank you. Very interesting. You helped us to keep updated

D o r a

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Dovili22[/mention] I just read a lot news and sometimes come across an interesting article which is language related, so I post it here. And I'm happy, if others like the post / find it interesting, too.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Supposably adv. as may be assumed, imagined, or supposed

Wow. To think that Joey and Chandler taught me this "word" 20-something years ago... and now it's actually considered a real word. :lol:

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

Dovili22
United States of America

Post by Dovili22 »

IceVahal Cool. I will follow you as a friend. Thanks again

D o r a

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Dovili22[/mention], I'm a curious person and I read a lot. 😉

If you want to someone sees your post, e.g. write @ice... And click the user name from the drop-down menu which opens, so the user gets a notification (bell at the top / next to the envelope and avatar).

Sue588388
United States of America

Post by Sue588388 »

Fun and interesting read, thanks for sharing this article.

I didn’t think I was a language purist, but…
When I saw the word supposably, I admit to immediately feeling alarmed and thought - slippery slope! :shock:

I was very reassured when autocorrect tried to intervene, but now I know those days are numbered. Eeks!

Native 🇺🇸 Learning 🇪🇸 🇫🇷 🇺🇦
“When words are both true and kind, they can change the world.” —Buddha

IceVajal
Germany

Merriam-Webster just added new words (article)

Post by IceVajal »

Check out what Merriam-Webster added in 2022!

Mentalfloss: From 'Adorkable' to 'Yeet': 30 Words Merriam-Webster Just Added to the Dictionary.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/merri ... words-2022

Jacko079
United States of America

Re: Merriam-Webster just added new words (article)

Post by Jacko079 »

IceVajal wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:24 pm

Check out what Merriam-Webster added in 2022!

Mentalfloss: From 'Adorkable' to 'Yeet': 30 Words Merriam-Webster Just Added to the Dictionary.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/posts/merri ... words-2022

Dawn Chorus

“The singing of wild birds that closely precedes and follows sunrise especially in spring and summer.”

Never heard it said before, but I like it. :)

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Jacko079 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:20 am

Dawn Chorus

“The singing of wild birds that closely precedes and follows sunrise especially in spring and summer.”

Me, too!

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Hygge: "Hygge (/ˈh(j)uːɡə/; Danish: [ˈhykə]; Norwegian: [ˈhŷɡːə]) is a word in Danish and Norwegian that describes a mood of coziness and "comfortable conviviality" with feelings of wellness and contentment. As a cultural category with its sets of associated practices hygge has more or less the same meaning in both places and in both languages,[1] however, the emphasis on hygge as a core part of Danish culture is a recent phenomenon, dating to the late 20th century." (Wikipedia)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Horchata.

Interesting to see this word added to an English dictionary.

In Mexico, along with tamarind and hibiscus, horchata water has been one of the most traditional and popular drinks offered everywhere, from big sized restaurants to taquerias and street stalls. Along with lemonade, which is without any doubt the favorite drink, all these are a must in every Mexican home.

Nowadays horchata water is usually prepared with commercial concentrates, however, traditionally it is made with water, milk and some evaporated milk or condensed milk, and either with melon seeds or rice —though one can find recipes made with coconut, oatmeal or other ingredients—, and with almond, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar and some ice. Once served, it is sprinkled with a little bit of powdered cinnamon. Horchata water is quite an experience for the palate, since its smooth and refreshing flavor is accompanied by a velvety texture.

The next two articles are in Spanish, but you may want to take a look at them: deliciosas recetas de aguas frescas, bebidas mexicanas más populares. Also, to anyone interested in Mexican cuisine, I can definitely recommend any of Diana Kennedy's books, for example, The Cuisines of Mexico.

Anyway, contrary to popular belief —including mine :D— horchata water is not a Mexican drink: it turns out that it comes from a Valencian city named Alboraya, where they make it with soaked, ground, and sweetened chufa (tiger nuts), an edible tuber that dates back quite a few milenia, as it was one of the oldest cultivated plants in prehistoric and Ancient Egypt.

Eventhough Alboraya is currently defined as being the birthplace of the horchata —where Horchatería Daniel has been dubbed as the "horchata temple of Alboraya"— the drink appears to have African roots, having originated in the area of what is now Nigeria and Mali, where it is known as kunu aya. It has been considered that the chufa tuber was taken into Spain during the seventh century during the Islamic expansion, and that the beverage was brought to Mexico during the Spanish conquest, where the chufa was replaced with other products.

It was quite interesting to learn not only that chufas have a Denomination of Origin, since they can only be grown in Valencia due to its particular climate and conditions, but also that there is a chufa and horchata museum: Museu de l’Orxata i la Xufa ; that on the 12th of July people in Alboraya celebrate the Horchata Day, and that since 2001, the National Horchata Day has been celebrated every 24th of September in the U.S.

Finally, the name "horchata" seems to derive from the Latin word hordeum, which means "barley", as the Romans used to make a similar barley-based drink named hordeata, giving way to the Italian and Maltese orzata, the French and English orgeat, and the Valencian horchata.

8-)

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍvocabulario ㆍsaber

Last edited by gmads on Tue May 09, 2023 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Dawn Chorus

I've always loved the dawn chorus or the orchestra as I used to think of it.

Sus

I've known that word a long time!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:18 pm

Dawn Chorus

I've always loved the dawn chorus or the orchestra as I used to think of it.

Sus

I've known that word a long time!

Lovely!

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I am interested in Mexican cuisine.. Thank you for the book recommendation, gmads.

My favorite food , as a given , should be Italian food , but it’s Mexican.

Tacos , enchiladas, 🫔 tamales ,tostados , hot sauce , guacamole 🥑 , Quesadillas, Fajitas !

Carnitas ,
Breakfast eggs with potatoes n peppers 🌶 🫑 …. Yum !

Don’t forget the limes! 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:23 pm

I am interested in Mexican cuisine.. Thank you for the book recommendation. @gmads

You'll then definitely enjoy very very much Diana's books!

My favorite food , as a given , should be Italian food , but it’s Mexican !

Both are great! And both are in the top 10 best cuisines in the world, hm! :D

Tacos , enchiladas, 🫔 tamales ,tostados , hot sauce , guacamole 🥑 , Quesadillas, Fajitas !

Carnitas ,
Breakfast eggs with potatoes n peppers 🌶 🫑 …. Yum !

And that's just entry level :!: Speaking of which. in Mexico we just love vitamin T: Tacos, Tortas, Tamales, Tostadas y todo lo que sea delicioso y empiece con "T", como las Tlayudas oaxaqueñas :)

Antinomy - Imagination

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Wow ! Your link sent me to : Deliciosa/Delicioso. -> Down delicious lane.

noticed they are made differently.
Restaurant tacos, for instant have the meat , white cheese and hint of tomatoes on top.

Street tacos are more meat and onions rolled in a soft shell ,correct ? ( with a lime.)

Prefiero la salsa verde en mis enchiladas

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:26 pm

Wow ! Your link sent me to : Deliciosa/Delicioso. -> Down delicious lane.

I can imagine! You did the same when you started talking about tacos, enchiladas, tamales, etc... an immediate Pavlovian response occurred :D

I noticed they are made differently.
Restaurant tacos, for instant have the meat , white cheese and hint of tomatoes on top.

Street tacos are more meat and onions rolled in a soft shell ,correct ? ( with a lime.)

It would depend on the type of taco being made. Tacos in general are more or less the same everywhere: tortilla and meat are the base, one could then add onion, cilantro, lemon and some hot sauce.

Prefiero la salsa verde en mis enchiladas.

So do I! La salsa verde es la mejor, at least for enchiladas, chilaquiles and tacos. However, we do have quite a large number of hot sauces! Some with seeds, grains, liquor (tequila, for example) or even grasshoppers :o Yummy!

Antinomy - Imagination

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Hop
Hop grasshoppers ! Hot on fire 🔥 sauce ! Wow. ¿Es eso algo así como el gusano en Tequilla?

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Meli578588 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:19 pm

Hop
Hop grasshoppers ! Hot on fire 🔥 sauce ! Wow. ¿Es eso algo así como el gusano en Tequilla? 😀

Yes, indeed!!

Meli578588 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:19 pm

If you like hot and seafood: Try crab in a spicy black bean sauce .. Very delicious.

Yumm, who wouldn't like seafood :?: and even better... hot 🔥 I'll do :!: Thanks for the recommendation :)

Antinomy - Imagination

Return to “Discussions”