Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A random idea about the DL forums closing

Corinnebelle

A random idea about the DL forums closing

Post by Corinnebelle »

I wonder if when the forums froze before due to being hacked, statistics showed that users learnt more and did better on lessons during that time?

I am finding it very quiet over on DL doing my lessons and am actually practicing my lesson more.

Time will tell why DL did what they did.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Re: A random idea about the DL forums closing

Post by LICA98 »

doubt it, they've been removing good features from the site for like 5 years already and it was just a question of time

I wonder if they're gonna now add hearts/health to the main site as well to make learning impossible unless you pay up :roll:

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

I would say no. Other learning sites like iTalki removed their own forum back in 2020, and about eight months after, replaced it with a very structured "Community" type of format where you could only get help with language-learning. There was no place to simply ask "Do you think we should have sign language added?" because the drop down selections only allowed you to ask [verbal] language-oriented questions.

Anyway, my point is many forums are starting to lose their steam and not just language sites are removing them. Social media is mainly where it's at now, and using devices. If it's about money, I think it's a question of what they wanted to focus on -- the app and all it is, or simply a cut back, which is what big companies always do anyway.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Fnirk1
Sweden

Post by Fnirk1 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:46 am

I wonder if when the forums froze before due to being hacked, statistics showed that users learnt more and did better on lessons during that time?

It's an interesting thought, but I can't wonder about the source of the statistics.
I wonder, If the daily amount of users went down because of the forum being shut down - well the only ones who were staying were the ones more serious about learning a language.... So if the stats only show a better performance, and not related to the user base...
This might not make any sense at all (English is not my native language, and I still struggle to express more advance topic), but I hope you can see my point.

I strongly believe that shutting down the forum was a really bad idea, but on the other hand I understand why (at least partly).

There was a lot of spamming, and a lot of of harassment...
Nevertheless there were also a lot of people who have given a lot of time and effort to help others, making the forum very useful - if you knew where and how to look.
I regret that they didn't chose to close only the main English (the Chinese forum and maybe some more), and kept the sub forum for each languag.

I hope this forum can fill in some gaps after the closure of the Duolingo forums.

:sweden: N :gb: C1 :ru: B2 :fr: :es:B1 :de: :it: :netherlands: A1

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:46 am

... when the forums froze before ... users learnt more and did better on lessons during that time? ...

I know there have been times, when personally, I myself, was spending more time contributing to one of the forums, instead of doing drills.

I think I know why, though, and I do not know if the same reason would apply to others.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:19 pm

doubt it, they've been removing good features from the site for like 5 years already and it was just a question of time

I wonder if they're gonna now add hearts/health to the main site as well to make learning impossible unless you pay up :roll:

I didn't get any lingots yesterday, so I am wondering how will I keep a streak without them. Probably want you to pay.

Edit: Lingots are back for me today.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:58 am

I didn't get any lingots yesterday, so I am wondering how will I keep a streak without them. Probably want you to pay.

why do you need lingots to keep a streak?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:30 am

If you're someone like me who doesn't do Duolingo on the weekend, you do, but then it's not what some people would call a true streak.

Deleted User 1400

Post by Deleted User 1400 »

Sue588388
United States of America

Post by Sue588388 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:33 am

If you're someone like me who doesn't do Duolingo on the weekend, you do, but then it's not what some people would call a true streak.

I need them too, Corinnebelle, for freezes. Even when I had a “true” streak, I was not judgmental of others taking days off. Then I needed a lot of days off. Now I think of it as days I studied on DL - no guilt at all, though I respect others who have a different standard for themselves.

Off topic - I absolutely adore your poem! Upvoted all the compliments, but obviously now wish I had posted one myself.

Native 🇺🇸 Learning 🇪🇸 🇫🇷 🇺🇦
“When words are both true and kind, they can change the world.” —Buddha

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Sue588388 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:02 pm

I need them too, Corinnebelle, for freezes. Even when I had a “true” streak, I was not judgmental of others taking days off. Then I needed a lot of days off. Now I think of it as days I studied on DL - no guilt at all, though I respect others who have a different standard for themselves.

Off topic - I absolutely adore your poem! Upvoted all the compliments, but obviously now wish I had posted one myself.

well I'd think that anyone who's been on duolingo for a long time has more than enough lingots, like I have almost 20k (and that's not even much compared to some other people)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:35 pm

well I'd think that anyone who's been on duolingo for a long time has more than enough lingots, like I have almost 20k (and that's not even much compared to some other people)

Well not me! :) They are giving them again now.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thanks! It's not too late to write one yourself! :D

homeskillet359
United States of America

Post by homeskillet359 »

If they add hearts to the website version then I'm done. I can't stand being interrupted in the middle of a difficult lesson.

Return to “Random Thoughts”