Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo dictionary

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

Re: Duolingo dictionary

Post by Corinnebelle »

You are an [mention]ImportantHunter[/mention] I did my first mchat in my TL and well I remembered a word but didn't know how to spell it. This might save my day!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

The Dictionary tool was removed before the forums, I believe. Could Duolingo get rid of anymore important features this year? The sad part is, they didn't ask for our opinion. While yes, IK it isn't our website, but if Duolingo wants the USERS of Duolingo happy, make them happy. I'm not saying do whatever they want, either, I'm saying always make sure it's ok with your community before you go and do it.

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

[mention]zerogrqvity[/mention] , I am glad you have found a place to let off steam.

Though do not forget, we of this volunteer community do not represent Duolingo, and we are not even aware of any Duolingo staff that monitor this space.

Duolingo is now a publicly listed company, and answerable to its shareholders.

There is a space that that does have Duolingo staff as part of its community, on Discord.
https://discord.com/invite/duolingo

However , I find the discord interface a very different community to the resources we are able to share here, including the resources we are able to share that assist language learning. In the discord community, it does not seem to be where you can create a library of information, that is also interactive, to assist with language learning.

Here on this duome.eu forum we are a volunteer community. Where we as a community help others in our community to learn. We do not earn , we are not paid money to do this.
So, you might like to consider what you can do to assist this community ?

And I hope you may like to become part of that, within your abilities.
How with what you can do, that makes this a kind and engaging place for others to interact with, to help their learning, and to help your learning.

I know, from other posts of yours, that you are brimming with ideas.
What language is it that you are seeking to learning ?

And what things could you do, that would assist you in helping others learn ?

zerogrqvity
United States of America

Post by zerogrqvity »

[mention]dakanga[/mention] I am focusing on Japanese and Spanish, rn. I've been learning Spanish since Kindergarten.

👤♠ ㄥєт 𝓪𝕝Ⓛ ʸᗝᑌ 𝒹ᗝ в𝕖 𝐝Øⓝᗴ ⒾⓃ ⓒό𝓝ᖴι𝔡ⓔ𝓝𝐜𝓔 🎈🍫

Native: 🇺🇸 Learning: 🇯🇵 🇪🇸

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

zerogrqvity wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:38 pm

The Dictionary tool was removed before the forums, I believe. Could Duolingo get rid of anymore important features this year? The sad part is, they didn't ask for our opinion. While yes, IK it isn't our website, but if Duolingo wants the USERS of Duolingo happy, make them happy. I'm not saying do whatever they want, either, I'm saying always make sure it's ok with your community before you go and do it.

Dictionary tool was still accessible until recently. It was hard to find after the forum closed, but it was there for awhile.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ImportantHunter

Post by ImportantHunter »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:39 am

You are an @ImportantHunter I did my first mchat in my TL and well I remembered a word but didn't know how to spell it. This might save my day!

Thank you. By the way, my Duolingo profile was originally Nanase4367 back when the Duolingo forums were around. I have changed it to ImportantHunter after the forums were removed and to match my reddit account name.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]ImportantHunter[/mention] I'm not sure I remember you from Duolingo, which languages are you studying? But here on Duome I get to know and meet people I didn't know before. So na'im meod. Nice to meet you! Did you see me on Duolingo?

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:43 am

Another feature removed. I am not surprised at this point.

Duolingo in the past: immersion, tiny cards (flashcards), forums, sentence discussions, language clubs, a good number of new courses released every year, activity stream, volunteers answering questions, dictionaries...

Duolingo today: a lot of cartoons, hearts, invasive advertising on the app, abandoned courses, leagues, a path with no choice to study what you want...

I've been using Duolingo since 2014 and I am sorry to say that I don't recognize it anymore.

And don't forget the messaging between users, among other useful things they had.

Indeed, bit by bit they have been taking down their system by removing all the tools they originally had. Duo is but the shadow of what it used to be.

I sincerely don't see how the current wasteland DL has become fits what they say about their system:

For the first time in history, we can analyze how millions of people learn at once to create the most effective educational system possible and tailor it to each student.

What a joke!

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

ImportantHunter

Post by ImportantHunter »

They have now removed links to the Dictionary from the More (...) drop down menu in the sentence discussions. All traces of the dictionary no longer exist. I despise Duolingo even more for removing the Dictionary and not saying anything about it. I am very angry about this. To me it's the worst decision they have ever done.

[mention]gmads[/mention] Duolingo thinks so highly of itself and thinks it's self-righteous despite repeatedly stabbing us users in the back by making bad choices while getting away with it. The Duolingo today is awful compared to a few years ago given the direction it is heading.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I hear you [mention]ImportantHunter[/mention] .

I just wanted to let you know.
While, as far as influencing Duolingo, just like you, all I can also do is share your grief at the loss of this resources, and also the others.
It also grieves me greatly.

Yet I will continue to strive, where my time and efforts allow, to edit past posts, and create new posts, that point to resources that will provide useful links for learning.

One of my favorites is https://www.reverso.net/

That provides quite a good extensive resource for quite a number of languages.
Especially as it provides example "context" sentences ( https://context.reverso.net/traduction/ )

As well as verb tables and more.

Perhaps others can suggest some other resources, including for other languages, that people may recommend.

atmatto
Poland

Post by atmatto »

I found a way to search the archive of the Duolingo forum by [mention]hobune.stream[/mention] and retrieve sentence discussions. This way it's possible to create a list of almost all sentences in a given course and their translations. Not every translation is available, but this method is still a good way to create something similar to the original Duolingo dictionary. Another drawback is that it's hard to search the list for all forms of a particular word like the dictionary allowed. Here is the code: https://github.com/atmatto/dictrec.

When I have more time, I might be able to use this to "repair" the previously mentioned Anki addon.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

dakanga wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:04 am

There is a space that that does have Duolingo staff as part of its community, on Discord.
https://discord.com/invite/duolingo

Hi, Dakanga. :)

The users there seem perfectly helpful and friendly and all that, but I just can't seem to work out how to use that discord site properly. If I do end up in the right place to ask or post something there it is usually after lots of whirring and clunking at my end, or occasionally clickiing the right thing by pure fluke.

((Absolutely my own unfamiliarity and fault, I am sure, but I thought I"d mention it in case anyboby else felt similarly clueless! hehe)!

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

ImportantHunter wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:32 am

They have now removed links to the Dictionary. I am very angry about this. To me it's the worst decision ...

Honestly, I don't miss DL dict for one second or even a fraction of it ... Apart from being a wordlist, if I remember well, it offers no explanation, no gender or article info (such as for Swedish the EN/ETT article, gave no plural and/or definite/indefinite suffixes.

For me, in one word ... useless ... not worth the name "dictionary" !

def: A dictionary is a collection of words, usually arranged alphabetically, that forms a reference work that provides information about the meaning, pronunciation, spelling, linguistic properties, hyphens, and synonyms of each included word. In addition, examples of the use of the word are usually given, such as in fixed connections with other words.

And what about the links to DL sentences? well you get them like this (e.g. the Swedish word "titta" (to look)) ... google with this "titta site:duolingo.com".

So you find all DL Swedish sentences with that word... ;-)
Such as the sentence "Titta inte nu" (don't look now")
with this URL:
https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/8468 ... ta-inte-nu

And even if the actual page seems to have disappeared, copy the url and add some prefix ...it may well be in Google's cache.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/8468 ... ta-inte-nu

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

What great points @Basler Biker !

I want to greatly thank you for input you are giving, both in correcting things, and also expanding topics in :

viewforum.php?f=462-words

... edited this paragraph ...
It is a "type" of dictionary word / phrase look up resource for the French for English speakers. It is not a dictionary. Which is also why it is not called a dictionary.
.... end of editing.

All listings there are being modified over time. And they also provide the ability for others to add to it.

Over time, I will also be making different indexes into this "words and phrases" as taught in the current Duolingo course availble to my account.
And also between the words, etc.

And this will also allow me to adjust things - I am hoping, as Duolingo tweaks its course. While keeping the "Word / Phrase" posts in place.

I am finding it is assisting my learning, in creating this resource.
And hoping, that a resource like this may also be off assistance to others. Both learners and educators.
While also providing opportunities for serendipitous learning - and linking words by topics.
Hopefully also with different activies you can do with different collections of words.

And also - as a bit of a stand off from whatever Duolingo is doing. So that is a resource that may be applicable to people also not using Duolingo.

Again, BB, deeply thank you for your outstanding quality additions to that resource, and also across other forums in this community!

Last edited by dakanga on Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improved wording, for hopefully a better idea of intentions
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I know what I am creating - it is not a fantastic full blown dictionary, such as https://www.collinsdictionary.com/, and many of the others.

It is though a place where we as a community can discuss individual words, and topics associated with that word.
While also not being limited to whatever Duolingo does.
Though it does tap into the current Duolingo course.
Though I see it is not restricted by that.

Return to “Duolingo”